Amazon Echo - anyone have one?

Soldato
Seems a major oversight from Amazon that multi room music doesn’t let you add one Echo device to multiple groups, surely most users would want upstairs/downstairs/everywhere as a minimum?

Agreed, it's very frustrating as we have 2 echos in the backroom/kitchen area which i'd like to group, but then i also want to group downstairs as a whole.

Caporegime
Instead of prime you h
Can purchase Echo music or whatever its called, something like £3 a month

There is a limited selection without Prime Music, however it's not much. I've got mine linked up to my Plex server so stream most of my music from there or just listen to the radio.

How does the plex thing work out of interest?

Soldato
OP
Anyone use an echo dot with their Sonos Play 1? I have an Echo v2 but fancy upgrading to a Sonos. Just not sure if to go with a Play 1 (I have an echo dot I can use), or a One...

Hoping this way I can also group the Echo v2 with the Echo Dot played through the Sonos Play 1.

Soldato
Anyone use an echo dot with their Sonos Play 1? I have an Echo v2 but fancy upgrading to a Sonos. Just not sure if to go with a Play 1 (I have an echo dot I can use), or a One...

Hoping this way I can also group the Echo v2 with the Echo Dot played through the Sonos Play 1.
If you're just planning on plugging the dot into the Sonos and using it as a 'dumb' speaker, is it not worth looking at alternatives? The Sonos commands a premium because of the excellent wireless streaming, multi room audio etc it can do but you'd be using none of that ability.

You can't group a Sonos with an Echo anyway, so if you're wanting to use the echos as your multi room functionality, the Sonos seems a bit of a wasted investment.

Soldato
OP
If you're just planning on plugging the dot into the Sonos and using it as a 'dumb' speaker, is it not worth looking at alternatives? The Sonos commands a premium because of the excellent wireless streaming, multi room audio etc it can do but you'd be using none of that ability.

Any suggestions as to an alternative?

Soldato

There is a skill that links Alexa to an existing Plex server. I've got it installed on a server in my house which has my MP3 collection on, Plex indexes it then I just ask Alexa to tell Plex to play whatever. It was a bit hit and miss but it does seem to have got better.

Caporegime
There is a skill that links Alexa to an existing Plex server. I've got it installed on a server in my house which has my MP3 collection on, Plex indexes it then I just ask Alexa to tell Plex to play whatever. It was a bit hit and miss but it does seem to have got better.

Ah okay, think I read similar for a Pi with Kodi installed

Soldato
I bought a pair of TP-Link smart sockets (the new ones with energy monitoring) last week, and today I linked them up to my echo so I could tell Alexa to turn them on and off instead of using the phone app which seems to take longer than walking over to them and pressing the switch.

If someone does use the same set-up, I'll say this... Go to settings in the Kasa app and allow 'remote access' on each device before linking to the Echo. I was scratching my head for a good 20 minutes as to why it wouldn't find them!

Next up is the colour changing bulbs. £30 a pop and no need for a bridge.

Associate
I've had hit-n-miss time with the Plex skill. The most it seems to be able to do is tell a Plex server to play to itself or a Plex player thats also on.
What I can't get it to do is stream music from Plex to an Echo. I gave up on it.

Soldato
I bought a pair of TP-Link smart sockets (the new ones with energy monitoring) last week, and today I linked them up to my echo so I could tell Alexa to turn them on and off instead of using the phone app which seems to take longer than walking over to them and pressing the switch.

If someone does use the same set-up, I'll say this... Go to settings in the Kasa app and allow 'remote access' on each device before linking to the Echo. I was scratching my head for a good 20 minutes as to why it wouldn't find them!

Next up is the colour changing bulbs. £30 a pop and no need for a bridge.

My TP Link plugs worked with Alexa straight out of the box. Handy tip though! The Kasa phone app isn’t much good apart from setting schedules.

Figured out why my Harmony had stopped talking to my Onkyo 737 amp, despite it being IP enabled for some reason harmony can only communicate with it via IR. Most frustrating. The harmony activities are great though, and the integration with Alexa has so far been surprisingly straightforward. I would definitely recommend it to any tech minded folk with AV gear.

Back
Top Bottom