Political Correctness Gone Mad Again

Soldato
My view is if they want to be paid for looking good then ok, it's their choice and we should respect that.

Agreed I said as much in my post. I think people aren't taking issue with the women, more the organisations that are hiring people to be objects or decoration as it raises questions as to how they value these people.

Is the move star analogy a good one? Not sure, whilst I am sure some are hired for their looks as least there is a perception that isn't the only thing they are there for - they are filling an actual role which is integral to experience.

Soldato
Is the move star analogy a good one? Not sure, whilst I am sure some are hired for their looks as least there is a perception that isn't the only thing they are there for - they are filling an actual role which is integral to experience.

Wrong. Most actors are extras. They often have no dialogue and only appear in the background serving no real purpose in the movie other than decoration for the scene. This is no different to F1 girls.

Associate
Isn't it gender discrimination? One of the pre-requisites of the job is to be an attractive young woman. Whilst you can employ based on attractiveness, you can't select based on gender.

Soldato
I'm sure the women that worked hard to get those jobs won't be too happy about it.

I don't see the harm in it really, they are fully clothed, wearing nothing worse than what you would see a lot of women wearing if you went out on a Friday or Saturday night.

Soldato
Wrong. Most actors are extras. They often have no dialogue and only appear in the background serving no real purpose in the movie other than decoration for the scene. This is no different to F1 girls.

I hadn't thought about extras, but I still don't think the analogy works. The purpose of them is to fill a scene - you can do this in no other way than using people to do so.

In the example of the darts where the only purpose is to walk in alongside the player and act as a bit of eye candy. Unless I have completely misunderstood what they are there to do and they are an integral part of the experience.

Commissario
I think what people object to is the concept of the women being used as a piece of decoration, for an organisation that sends out negative a message as how they value these women and potentially in turn other women.

I don't think anyone (or hopefully most sensible people) have any issue with the women themselves - more just the message that it sends. They are well within the rights to take these types of job, and if people are willing to pay them good money to do so more power to them!
This.

My suspicion is that the Darts organisers have realised that they may be able to get more sponsorship from advertisers if they're not putting off part of the potential viewer base, not to mention I think Darts is starting to take off a bit with Women more.

It's part of the evolution of it, in the same way the average professional darts player now doesn't drink during/before a match, doesn't smoke and takes it far more seriously.

Soldato
Of course it works. Are you trolling me? If not explain why it's wrong because it's clearly a pertinent example validating my premise.

Not trolling, just disagreeing. I explained my thought process in the rest of the post:

The purpose of them (extras) is to fill a scene - you can do this in no other way than using people to do so.

In the example of the darts where the only purpose is to walk in alongside the player and act as a bit of eye candy. Unless I have completely misunderstood what they are there to do and they are an integral part of the experience.

Soldato
Can’t we keep all this moaning about the modern world in one thread? Every other thread in GD reads like the comments section of the Daily Mail at the moment.

Soldato
I do and say what I want when I want. Political correctness to me is just a superficial wet dream indulged by the precious easily offended types. If you can't say what you mean in this world then why say anything?
Good, more people like this please.

Back
Top Bottom