Cupra 300 - Quality issues

Soldato
I took delivery of a new seat cupra last week which replaced my Scirocco R. I speced the car with DSG and Seat Sound.
From the very start there is some real quality issues. Driver door seal doesn't fit so you get mega wind noise in the cabin this apparently takes two days to fix and two further visits to Seat the first for authorisation of the repair and the second for the repair. Tonight when the heaters came on the windscreen cracked down the middle ( no stone impact) . The car is also plagued with rattles.
Compared to the VW it replaced it drives betters. The steering feedback and the exhaust system sounds nicer but on the other side the quality of the car is highly lacking its most definitely not a rebadged golf / scirocco.

Soldato
  • Mechanical limited slip differential
  • Multi coloured LED door panel illumination
  • Brake callipers in Red
  • 19” Machined alloy wheels

when the 2nd top feature on their website is rgb door panels you know its quality :p

Soldato
OP
True. I also need to find a new dealer the one i went to is behold c*** the person in front of me had just bought an Ibiza from them and wanted them to look at the engine management light that keeps coming on intermittently. The girl instantly told him there would be a fee if the light didn't show when they tested the car as if there is no fault showb he would be liable. I got a similar nonsense about my door seal but in my case you can put two fingers between the seal and the car. Not even close to fitting.
The windscreen will be a harder fight.

Soldato
OP
If i remember i will post a picture of the door seal. I would strongly suggest people properly test drive these before ordering to allow them to properly make there mind up on weather they can live with the quality issues on the car. I didn't expect such a huge drop from the SciroccoR but it does drive significantly better and the Seat Sound is a nice improvement.

Last edited:
Soldato
then everything wouldnt fit cos its french and it would fall apart after 18 months :p

Not gonna argue about reputation of French cars but my 306GTI and my Megane RS250 never gave me any issues. (cept failed aircon in 306). My Megane is well put together. No creaks or rattles of note. Far less bland to look at than VAG group stuff.

But this isn't a debate so I'll stop harping on about Meganes lol.

Man of Honour
If i remember i will post a picture of the door seal. I would strongly suggest people properly test drive these before ordering to allow them to properly make there mind up on weather they can live with the quality issues on the car. I didn't expect such a huge drop from the SciroccoR but it does drive significantly better and the Seat Sound is a nice improvement.

Looks very much like there's an impact/stone chip there more or less parallel with the camera flash

Soldato
It sucks that you get a new motor and it is a disappointment. I don't drive many new cars but that last VW I had was a new Polo (couple of months old, few hundred miles) and that rattled like mad and generally felt like it wasn't the quality product that I drove a couple of years ago. Might have been a one off but it made me slightly more wary for when we replace my wifes car.

I wonder if car manufacturers can get away with this more now that often the deciding factor is what is a good lease deal at the time rather than a carefully considered purchase where the buyer has driven all the options.

Soldato
Rattles do seem to be a thing in a lot of modern cars. I've fixed a number myself on my last 3. Normally caused by plastic panels tapping against each other, poorly secured wire or clips I find. Dealers usually aren't much help with them.

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought a Leon SC a few months back, but mine was a year old when I got it. There is a little bit of wind noise on my drivers door, but it seems to be the fit of the seal to the glass, rather than the seal to the door, although absolutely no water comes in because of it. Secondly, the doors have a rattle, although it goes away for a week or so after pressing the plastics together. Apart from those, I have no quality issues at all. Sounds to me as though whoever has done those parts hasn't given a **** at all. I'd be threatening them with rejecting it for sub-standard quality.

Associate
I've had a brand new Cupra 300 since August and it's absolutely perfect in every way.

I think perhaps with the 6 month lead time on these they're firing them out as quick as possible and QA is lacking.

Soldato
OP
A bit of an update. I went to my local dealer who initially wanted £99 to diagnose the windscreen fault... Yes £99 to confirm that it had a massive crack on it! after speaking with the dealer manager they backed down on this.
They have agreed that the crack is not a stone chip and are going to replace the windscreen.
The drivers door now freely drips water as you drive along leaving me with a lovely wet leg carpet at motorway speed.

Soldato
Although there are bad dealers out there you have to understand that, if your claim is going to be under warranty which it sounds like it is, dealers have no authority to carry out the work until its been submitted and approved by the manufacturer. If they repair it beforehand then the manufacturer can reject the claim and the dealer is left out of pocket.

Your dealership may have sold you the car but it was built and supplied to them by the manufacturer so it shouldn't be the dealer who has to foot the bill for the manufacturer QA issues hence the 2 visits - 1 to note and submit the claim and a 2nd to repair it after its authorised by Seat.

Back
Top Bottom