Becoming a Category C HGV driver

Soldato
I currently have a bit crappy life and job in retail which I love, but theres no chance of progressing with manager cuts etc, I'm doing work experience in something else which has gone superb until I asked for a reference for my uni application and now it turns out I'm not good enough, show no interest in things, thanks for the free help for the past 5 months, jump higher for your supper. Maybe I can get a good reference out of them and can get in uni, maybe not.

So I'm thinking what else I could have a go at, I remember reading on here the other day the demand for Cat C HGV drivers, is this correct? I've found some posts from Scania and helpimcrap, but they are very old - 2007 and 2008.

I'm over 21 lolz :p I have a full car licence, no points, 1 accident a few years ago which was 100% other party's fault. I'm single, no kids to support etc
I can afford to pay for the test, a grand or two is not a problem. I live in East Cheshire/South East Manchester.

Are Class C drivers in demand? or would this be madness? I understand I pay for a medical with a doctor first, then contact a training centre and began studying the theory test for large vehicles?

I'd be interested in driving something like this->
gerV5sv.jpg
ba538ece-0d2f-4333-87b1-f0e8553dfce9

Is a Cat C licence the right one for this type of truck? Are most trucks auto now, seems everyone takes tests in autos? Found this video -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld2pA1wZAHs too

Thank you for any help or direction :D

Last edited:
Associate
Yes that's class C, you'll find it very hard to get a job driving one of those without experience, and no, it wont be an auto.
Most trucks nowadays are automatic.

I would suggest you do your lessons in a manual as when I did mine in 2016 I asked for a manual because you will find that in the beginning you would no doubt have to go through agencies to get work and could be driving anything.

Man of Honour
Yes that's class C, you'll find it very hard to get a job driving one of those without experience, and no, it wont be an auto.
I work for a transport company and can tell you that a significant number of our large rigids and units are automatic. It's certainly easier than driving a 16 speed with half gear selector....

EDIT
Do NOT restrict yourself to auto only or you may seriously struggle competing for work with drivers who can handle any type of transmission.

Associate
I have both cat C+E (truck and trailer) and cat D (Bus) but I never use them due to working in an office job, everyone tells me that I will never struggle for work having those and there is always demand for drivers, however EXPERIENCE is the key and most companies will require you to have recent experience, as such most drivers start with agency work then move to a steady job with a company.
I have 2 friends in Manchester who work in this field, one owns a very large haulage company and he is always short of drivers, infact the last time he expanded it was easier to get new trucks than drivers to drive them and the other is a self employed C+E driver who does earn up to 1k a week but gets no paid holiday or sick leave and struggled to get a mortgage due to being self employed.

Soldato
OP
Ok I've found TrucknetUK which seems like a nice site, also found a nice test centre who seem to handle everything, costs seem reasonable. I have my medical on Wednesday. I realise experience will be the hurdle and I will likely have to go with agency work first, but everyone has to start somewhere right? :D

They said the trucks are automatic, and if I pass in an auto I can drive a manual, but obviously I would need some extra training with a manual? I'm reading most trucks now are auto, manual ones cost more. It doesn't seem to be like a car where if you pass in an auto you can only drive auto.

I'm excited to be getting started, eyeing all the cat C trucks on the drive to the centre and back lol :D

Soldato
OP
Also looking at student paramedic roles, I'll apply and see what they say, I really enjoy working with the public in retail, and I would need to do the medical and theory tests anyway :E

Associate
Ok I've found TrucknetUK which seems like a nice site, also found a nice test centre who seem to handle everything, costs seem reasonable. I have my medical on Wednesday. I realise experience will be the hurdle and I will likely have to go with agency work first, but everyone has to start somewhere right? :D

They said the trucks are automatic, and if I pass in an auto I can drive a manual, but obviously I would need some extra training with a manual? I'm reading most trucks now are auto, manual ones cost more. It doesn't seem to be like a car where if you pass in an auto you can only drive auto.

I'm excited to be getting started, eyeing all the cat C trucks on the drive to the centre and back lol :D

Trucknet is a great site for info etc for wannabe \ new drivers.
I did my cat c then cat c+e straight after 12 years ago.
I Prefer arctics to rigids plus the pay is a bit more.
Be prepared for long hours but the job is pretty easy.
Sign up with some agencies to get experience at first then start applying for permanent jobs.
Good luck!!

bol

bol

Associate
Don't forget you need your driver cpc qualification card too. You need 35 hours of "training" in the past 5 years. One day courses will count as 7 hours. Not cheap and as boring as hell. You can however do the same course 5 times if you wish, such are the ludicrous rules regarding this wallet emptying bs. Don't think brexit will affect it either, there is far too much money involved.

Soldato
OP
Boss had a turn around a few days later, and was very happy with me and did my reference for uni, so all is good. I'm still in two minds as to which way to go in life though, uni or truck driving/construction lol

Associate
Sign up with some agencies to get experience at first then start applying for permanent jobs.

Good advice. My workmate drives on his days off. He signed on to an agency and gets supermarket work, other than some tight-ish yards the work is very easy and good way of building experience.

Soldato
Boss had a turn around a few days later, and was very happy with me and did my reference for uni, so all is good. I'm still in two minds as to which way to go in life though, uni or truck driving/construction lol

Do both. You have 6 months before the new university year. You can study during the week and drive trucks at weekends and the holidays. If memory serves, truck drivers are very much in demand by students and academics for all sorts of things - driving floats, carting gear from A to B, and so on. And, if you're doing an appropriate degree, you might get a truck company to sponsor you.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just passed my medical, will start studying for the tests now, excited to have some time in a truck with my starter package :D

Also got a uni interview soon :D

Soldato
I didn't actually think it was possible to give a bad reference? Opens up legal grounds of affecting progression within your career?

Maybe your boss had realised this and hence the turnaround!

Soldato
OP
Yeah who knows, I just put it down to a bad day or sommot crap happening, was all ok a few days later and reference was done leading to uni interview. I'd laugh if at the interview they say bro you have the worst reference ever, Wtf you doing here lolz

Back
Top Bottom