BMW and M Power Owners

Caporegime
Hello all, I'm on the browse for a newish car something bigger than a hatchback otherwise I'd just get a 1 series or something.

Just get a 320D with the usual OcUK spec I hear you say... well yes but my drive to work and home is only 8 miles. But on the way home, because of Birmingham, it is regularly 40 minutes to get home so I'd like something nice to sit in... "well cycle you lazy ****"... well I like my life and have seen many of crushed bikes on the ring road. So on that note... petrol 3 series with a decent spec seem to be very rare or non existent at a reasonable price point?

e.g. this https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/201712272297172?quoteref=a0047ec1-6a24-4280-91ac-1277c68ddd04

In terms of specification looks ideal, heated front seats, pro nav, xenon, park assist, but it's a diseal. Obviously weekends and other things are longer drives. Would that small a daily drive actually cause issues?

Caporegime
Hello all, I'm on the browse for a newish car something bigger than a hatchback otherwise I'd just get a 1 series or something.

Just get a 320D with the usual OcUK spec I hear you say... well yes but my drive to work and home is only 8 miles. But on the way home, because of Birmingham, it is regularly 40 minutes to get home so I'd like something nice to sit in... "well cycle you lazy ****"... well I like my life and have seen many of crushed bikes on the ring road. So on that note... petrol 3 series with a decent spec seem to be very rare or non existent at a reasonable price point?

e.g. this https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/201712272297172?quoteref=a0047ec1-6a24-4280-91ac-1277c68ddd04

In terms of specification looks ideal, heated front seats, pro nav, xenon, park assist, but it's a diseal. Obviously weekends and other things are longer drives. Would that small a daily drive actually cause issues?

328i/330i is where you should be looking!

Man of Honour
328i/330i is where you should be looking!

The short distance thing is a shame and complicates things but other than that the 330d is simply better than the 328i imho. I wished I was wrong but the 28i left me sufficiently underwhelmed that i couldn't pick it over a 30d.

Man of Honour
Whats the opinion on XDrive? Is it a must have or only really needed up north :)

I'm looking at a 2016 330D which has pretty much the spec I want but doesn't have xDrive.

It's an avoid unless you really really need it. It spoils the handling and hampers the fuel efficiency.

Soldato
It's an avoid unless you really really need it. It spoils the handling and hampers the fuel efficiency.

With summer tyres and 19 or 20 inch wheels, I suspect xDrive will make little difference in snowy conditions. Much as I'd like to use that as an excuse to my wife to get a new 540 (please tell me I'm wrong) :)

Permabanned
Any tips on what tyres to get for my mile-eating behemoth please?

BMW 530d GT

275/40/19
245/45/19

In the past I have usually gone with Conti SportContact 5s for my BMWs... but I've read reports of them getting poor mileage lately.

Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, I don't see the MPS4S available in these sizes.

No run-flats... just looking for something with reasonable grip, a sidewall that's firm enough for a 2 tonne car but still offers decent ride quality.

Thanks

Caporegime

BMW 530d GT

275/40/19
245/45/19

In the past I have usually gone with Conti SportContact 5s for my BMWs... but I've read reports of them getting poor mileage lately.

Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, I don't see the MPS4S available in these sizes.

No run-flats... just looking for something with reasonable grip, a sidewall that's firm enough for a 2 tonne car but still offers decent ride quality.

Thanks

Dunlop sport maxx gt's may fit the bill.

Soldato
Any easy way of maintaining the pan-sunroof drains?

My F15 X5 is currently with the dealer for a leaky roof (front drivers aspect only). If it's the pipe it's covered under warranty. If its blocked with debris then it's £190. All I've been advised is avoid parking it under a tree. Seems like a design fault in my opinion.

Man of Honour
It turns out that mine does have this but its a menu option that dissappears once the car is running...

High five for the light buddies!

But yeah, it also is only available for me when the car is parked up and engine off, probably why I never noticed it as I only ever fiddle with the options when bored in traffic :D

Caporegime
The short distance thing is a shame and complicates things but other than that the 330d is simply better than the 328i imho. I wished I was wrong but the 28i left me sufficiently underwhelmed that i couldn't pick it over a 30d.

Oh well that's disappointing. There's a few good looking 328i up at the moment here & here.

The latter does have the visibility pack too, should that be considered as a must have?

Soldato

BMW 530d GT

275/40/19
245/45/19

Thanks
Buy Michelin, they get seriously good mileage. There's no reason to go for the PS4S specifically for that car (it's hardly a car that demands UHP tyres), but look at PS4 instead.

Back
Top Bottom