Cycling Holidays

Soldato
Ah yeah.. I forgot to update this. I booked a non-mini economy car from Hertz - pickup at Alicante station and return at Alicante airport for £45 inc one way fee. That'll be far cheaper than any airport transfer for just myself. Yet to book a place to stay and I go next week... a tad last minute :D

Weather isn't looking too exciting compared to the past few weeks. Currently forecast rain so I might not get in that much cycling.

Soldato
Booked up a week in sardinia for June, had some air miles to use and was one of the few places with good availability around my races.

No idea what the cycling will be like, but will take the bike anyway!

Soldato
Booked Puerto Pollensa 1st September for 11 nights for me and the wife, planning 4 rides without her and 2 nice flat easy ones with her. The rest of the time we’ll be doing normal holiday stuff!!!

Soldato
Yeah we are from Andratx. But might give it a go without if the weathers decent.

That's what I did, lucked out with the weather on the day at 28 degrees. Did the north coast including Puig Major, saved Sa Calobra for it's own special day. Some fantastic scenery on the ascent out of Andratx

Enjoy.

MzBel0hl.jpg

Soldato
Back in the UK after a week in Mallorca.:(

Did 308mi with 33,600ft of ascent using a rental Cervelo R3 with Ultegra R8070 and Enve rims. Nice frame and wheels but not a fan of this Shimano rubbish.:p

Wasn't feeling as fit as last time I was out there so there were very few PBs on categorised climbs. Didn't trouble my sub-35 up Sa Calobra but was happy enough with sub-40.

eSGTnpS.jpg
qc1ur2A.jpg
OuuMjEp.jpg

Soldato
Nice shots :cool:

Part of me wants to head back to Majorca and I probably will but I had 9 days in Denia in April and there is much much more out there so am trying to make an annual visit at the start of the year a regular thing.

If I could come back 12% stronger year on year every time that would be fab too :p

Soldato
@BennyC - Any particular recommendations for the Bad Feilnbach area of the Bavarian Alps? I think you've been there? I'm there this weekend. Got a long sportive (not a race!!!! all over the instructions) tomorrow but Sunday is currently unplanned.

This is the route I'm covering tomorrow.
https://www.outdooractive.com/de/re...rathonstrecke-2018/104818783/#dmdtab=oax-tab1

What are the odds... sorry I've seen this a bit late! Looks like you've gone around Schliersee which is where we were based. How did you get on? Some great views.

The first climb up to Bayrischell is fairly steep at the start but does let off, as I'm sure you're now well aware. I've ridden most of those roads, your descent down from Spitzingsee will be fast as the road is wide & surface is good. Both the descent from Bayrischell and Spitzingsee are great climbs in themselves.

Memory lane for me, @Maxeh and @alexisonfire :p

Soldato
No worries. I was only in the area for two days anyway and yesterday didn't feel like anything extensive in the heat with dead legs so I just rode up to Cafe Winklstüberl for a giant slice of cake via some minor climb.

The first climb up to Bayrischell is fairly steep at the start but does let off, as I'm sure you're now well aware.
Yeah... this is where I decided to eat the first bit of food just as it got steep... doh! It was a nice climb up. I like to ride my own pace up steep stuff as I hate grinding out so I dropped the guys I was with a little and pressed on overtaking the hordes. I was expecting the finish not to be that far. Turned into a 45 min climb. I should have looked at the route a bit more before the ride. Nevertheless it was a nice climb.

your descent down from Spitzingsee will be fast as the road is wide & surface is good
That was crazy fast. Touching 55mph or so without any top tube antics... then I looked at Strava and read the KOM averaged 55mph :eek:

Overall it was a great day out on the bike. Weather pretty good if a little hot. A good group I was riding with (a mate's mate's triathlete brothers) and a well run sportive. Thousands of people but everyone was courteous and there was no 'treat it like an absolute race' like there is in UK sportives. The feed stops were huge and plentiful and the ride organisation was kind of like an Audax - you had a wristband and there were various controls you'd pass through on the road and at feed stops to prove you rode the whole event. No start times or even electronic tracking. The views were stunning and I think the worst part of road I rode was about 3 metres and just felt like a standard UK road... most of the roads were super smooth.

I don't really do many sportives and I don't think I've completed a sportive and thought "Yes, I want to do that again sometime" in the UK - usually due to the idiotic riding and lack of value. This event was only €39 and the only thing I was a bit disappointed to see was people riding aero bars in a group... It was too common and a lot of people had aero bars fitted. Saw the odd triathlon bike too (accompanied with sleeveless jersey).

Associate
Hi guys,

I'm looking to go away for a 4 nights at the end of November to get a few days cycling in. Ideally after something all inclusive with good bike hire options, as little hassle as possible basically!

Aside from Mallorca and Tenerife, any other suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom