*** PC Gaming - Daily Deals Thread ***

Caporegime
I liked the original Xcom games of yester year, so hoping these will be good?
They're super streamlined compared to the originals.

So you can't muck around with soldier's inventories, can't free aim (at the ground or shoot a petrol pump for example). Can only carry 1 grenade for a long time.

No incendiary ammo, proxy mines, electroflares... less strategic options all round.

Only 1 base. No packing a Skryanger with rookies... you can only take 4 men per mission.

I'm afraid it's nothing like UFO:Enemy Unknown (Mythos).

Soldato
I have put 193 hours into XCOM: Enemy Unknown / Enemy Within and currently 113 hours into XCOM2 but I've only just started the expansion so this will increase. The missing elements that FoxEye lists are pretty much all unlocked as you progress in both games (experimental ammo and grenades including incendiary / poison, taking up to 6 squad members on a mission, equipping soldiers with unlocked inventory items etc). I've certainly got my moneys worth from both games and at £8 I would say XCOM2 is well worth it.

Soldato
Long war mods are pretty good but only worth playing once you have done the vanilla games. There are 100's of mods in the Steam Workshop and you can have things like 8 soldiers going into battle etc everything that answers the above limitations. Nothing better than going into battle with in your squad, Iron Man, Stormtrooper, Hicks, Mr Freeze, Spiderman, Harley Quinn etc all armed to the teeth. ;)

Caporegime
I have put 193 hours into XCOM: Enemy Unknown / Enemy Within and currently 113 hours into XCOM2 but I've only just started the expansion so this will increase. The missing elements that FoxEye lists are pretty much all unlocked as you progress in both games (experimental ammo and grenades including incendiary / poison, taking up to 6 squad members on a mission, equipping soldiers with unlocked inventory items etc). I've certainly got my moneys worth from both games and at £8 I would say XCOM2 is well worth it.
That's factually inaccurate.

I won't talk about XCom 2 since I didn't play it, having seen all I needed to see with Firaxis first game.

1. There is no free aim ever in XCom1.
2. There is no incendiary ammo ever in XCom1.
3. There are no electro flares ever in XCom1.
3. There is only one base ever in XCom1.
4. You can never exceed 6 soldiers on a mission in X1, and you have to play for a while before you can take more than 4.

You also cannot ever pick up enemy equipment in X1, since you have no inventory and neither do the aliens.

You can never run out of ammo since guns have unlimited ammo.

I could go on, and on, but it would bore most people. XCom (Firaxis) is nothing - at all - like the original. It takes its name but it is a totally different game, with its own style.

I'm not saying it's terrible - some people like it more than the originals. I'm not one of them, but I'm not going to insist people like what I like :p The question was "is it like UFO (Mythos)". The answer is they are nothing alike.

Soldato
That's factually inaccurate.

I won't talk about XCom 2 since I didn't play it, having seen all I needed to see with Firaxis first game.

1. There is no free aim ever in XCom1.
2. There is no incendiary ammo ever in XCom1.
3. There are no electro flares ever in XCom1.
3. There is only one base ever in XCom1.
4. You can never exceed 6 soldiers on a mission in X1, and you have to play for a while before you can take more than 4.

You also cannot ever pick up enemy equipment in X1, since you have no inventory and neither do the aliens.

You can never run out of ammo since guns have unlimited ammo.

I could go on, and on, but it would bore most people. XCom (Firaxis) is nothing - at all - like the original. It takes its name but it is a totally different game, with its own style.

I'm not saying it's terrible - some people like it more than the originals. I'm not one of them, but I'm not going to insist people like what I like :p The question was "is it like UFO (Mythos)". The answer is they are nothing alike.

I don't know how you can say what I wrote was factually incorrect when you obviously haven't played Enemy Unknown long enough to find or unlock many of the options that you say are missing.

- There is a variety of experimental ammo types including incendiary ammo (Dragon Rounds) - http://xcom.wikia.com/wiki/Experimental_Ammo
- There is a variety of experimental grenade types - http://xcom.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Grenades_(XCOM:_Enemy_Unknown)
- You can pick up items from fallen enemies, such as scopes, expanded ammo clips, and other weapon modifiers which you can add to your own soldiers weapons, however these drops are limited and you have a limited amount of turns to collect them.
- There is an inventory screen for soldiers where you manage load-outs, modify their weapons (as above), change their weapon and uniform colours & patterns etc.
- You do get to have more than 4 soldiers on your team.

There is no free aim, there is only one base, there is unlimited basic ammo, however the majority of negatives you list about the game are in fact included which is what I said.

Soldato
The new monthly humble bundle seems good value already for $12 for Dark Souls 3 and Ashes of Ariandel dlc. Will be interested to see what else they add.

Do they give you Steam keys for these games and is it easy enough to cancel before the next month?

Caporegime
I don't know how you can say what I wrote was factually incorrect when you obviously haven't played Enemy Unknown long enough to find or unlock many of the options that you say are missing.

- There is a variety of experimental ammo types including incendiary ammo (Dragon Rounds) - http://xcom.wikia.com/wiki/Experimental_Ammo
- There is a variety of experimental grenade types - http://xcom.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Grenades_(XCOM:_Enemy_Unknown)
- You can pick up items from fallen enemies, such as scopes, expanded ammo clips, and other weapon modifiers which you can add to your own soldiers weapons, however these drops are limited and you have a limited amount of turns to collect them.
- There is an inventory screen for soldiers where you manage load-outs, modify their weapons (as above), change their weapon and uniform colours & patterns etc.
- You do get to have more than 4 soldiers on your team.

There is no free aim, there is only one base, there is unlimited basic ammo, however the majority of negatives you list about the game are in fact included which is what I said.
As I said, not in XCom1. You've linked to a bunch of stuff about XCom2, which I freely admit I never played.

I said it was inaccurate as you said those features were "eventually unlocked in both games". They aren't. I played XCom1 to the end. It never has the features I said it doesn't have. Ever.

For example, there are never incendiary grenades in X1. You can never pick up battlefield items in X1. Ever. No point arguing, I've played the game all the way to the end (I hate quitting a game I paid money for, even if it's not that brilliant :p)

Soldato
Ahh, just realised you just get that game + dlc and then the extra games they add you get at the start of the next month? Still not a bad deal, but not amazing either.

Back
Top Bottom