The Grand Tour

Man of Honour
I think this series is an improvement. Celebrity brain crash was utterly terrible (I don't know what possessed them to make it a regular segment rather than a one-off gag) and whilst the F-off is a bit of a tired format now, at least some of it can be interesting.
Also whilst the 'tour' element of S1 seemed good on paper, in reality travelling to different locations for the studio segments just meant they felt they had to keep making 'local' references, or overly explaining British things which disrupted the tempo a bit.
There were quite a few episodes in S1 with dull elongated segments - I didn't get much out of that Beach Buggy thing for example - but content in S2 generally good. More stuff on motor racing rivalries would be good, I guess Prost/Senna Hunt/Lauda has already been done on a grander scale, but there must be a few more niche stories that could be dug up.

Man of Honour
I actually kind of liked the tour element though it needed a bit more tweaking those things you mentioned did disrupt the flow of it a bit.

The last 2 episodes are the only ones I've genuinely enjoyed - much of the rest (in hindsight) I'd turn over watch some Chris Harris on the Top Gear YouTube channel instead.

Last edited:
Associate
Looking at the trailer, looking forward to the Jaaaaaaag XJ220 and Bugatti EB110, they have been quite good with retro articles so will have to see what they do with them.

The Boat does worry me slightly as their challenges havent been that great compared to original topgear.

On another note, havent seen the topgear trailer talked about, looks really good to me! Happy to have two watchable carshows available to us...

Caporegime
Celebrity brain crash was utterly terrible (I don't know what possessed them to make it a regular segment rather than a one-off gag) and whilst the F-off is a bit of a tired format now, at least some of it can be interesting.

I thought it only worked as a running joke. It was severely unfunny the first time, but got a titter later on. Conversation Street is really the only studio stuff they're getting right, the rest is utter guff.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Watched the celeb bit as they are people I enjoy watching/know

Overall great episode, right on point all the way through.

I know how dynamo did his trick, easy one you learn in school.

Penn and Tellers though, WTF. I picked a card, changed it, didnt like that one, and changed it again and it was the one! I know how they "picked it" from the deck I mean thats just slight of hand by Penn to a clean deck memorized by Teller after Clarkson has shuffled them (the give away being about making you forget the order things happened) but the fact I picked the same card as Clarkson makes me wonder did they use some keyword dropping to make it happen.

Soldato
I'm starting to think the show is sponsored by Jag :D

I did like how an ex-fastest car in the world from the 90s did a lap slower than a Fiesta ST200 though lol

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I thought it only worked as a running joke. It was severely unfunny the first time, but got a titter later on.

I guess it must depend on sense of humour then. I was thoroughly bored with it by the end; the ‘running joke’ gag of May saying ‘does that mean they’re not coming on then?!’ Would have been vaguely amusing had it ever been used by surprise in another context, not telegraphed in advance in the same portion of every show.

Latest ep I found the speedboat result a bit weird, speed was faster on the way back despite mechanical issues, and the way they edited the outward run it didn’t look like it was going that badly.

Soldato
The 220 and EB110 section could have been better. It was simply re-churned from previous Clarkson videos from times gone by.

Man of Honour
another good one, my uncle had one of those bond bugs many years ago lol

but watch that bug water race at the end again, his helmet has yellow/orange on it but the 'far away' shots show a red helmet, shenanigans lol

Last edited:
Man of Honour
another good one, my uncle had one of those bond bugs many years ago lol

but watch that bug water race at the end again, his helmet has yellow/orange on it but the 'far away' shots show a red helmet, shenanigans lol

There is at least one shot front on where it definitely isn't Clarkson in the helmet.

Back
Top Bottom