New FTB Modded Minecraft server Beyond

Soldato
OP
I'm just back from work, so now digging a bit more. The server has been fine right up until yesterday morning when it first took a crap, so I don't *think* it's a mod, but we'll see. I'm about to start a new world to see if the issue is the current world, or another issue. I will keep you posted :)

edit: I've backed up the old world, so don't panic! A fresh new world is doing the same thing, so it's likely the host end

Edit2: Okies, for the time being I've unchunkloaded all claims (I've kept your claims though) whilst the hosting company and I try and sort this out. As a temporary measure I've also moved world spawn about 700 blocks NorthWest as some of my base was in spawn chunks. This has significantly reduced the lag, but at a cost of chunkloading. This is a temporary measure, so please bear with me :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Right - as quick update:

The lag still persists, even with no machine, chest or anything other than normal world gen. This is a bummer, and has both me and the hosting company puzzled. The lag goes away if I start a new world, only to return when I reload the old world. The lag is noticeable better now, but still there, skipping ticks every 70-90 seconds. The lag started Feb 02nd at 05:35. There were no players on at this time. A thing the host has suggested is to restore to an earlier backup from before when the lag started. This really is the last thing I want to try as it will mean the loss of a couple of days work for you. However, should we have to go down this route, then I will make sure you are in the same position gear and build wise as you are now. I'll download the world as it stands just before a restore happens and I'll give members creative so they can get themselves back on track.

To that end could I ask you make a note of your builds and gear? I'll also have the world download to help. I know this is really less than ideal and I'm sorry that this option is being looked into - I know how frustrating it is to have work undone, but I guess we'd all rather eliminate this lag if we can?

I've got to go out for a few hours and will continue when I return

Cheers all - Ham

Soldato
OP
Okay - I haven't spoken to him yet, but Monty will be fine. I've downloaded the world as of 04/02/18 17:51for reference. I'll see about restoring a previous version and see how we go. I'll keep this thread updated.

There is the possibility of injecting your build's individual chunks into the world, but that can be a bit fiddly - we'll see how it goes.

Associate
I've made a fair bit of progress over the weekend but I've taken screenshots of everything I've got so I can get back to where I was easily enough.

Thanks for keeping us posted Ham

Soldato
OP
Okay - I've bitten the bullet and rolled back. Good news is the lag has gone. The skipped ticks every 30 secs are all gone. Bad news is your work over the last couple of days has gone. I'm sorry about that. After extensive testing and research the only thing I can think happened is a machine did an operation at the same split second the server backed-up, causing a perpetual loop. 1 in a million type thing.

Anyhoo, either pop on tonight and I can give you creative or I can put a command block at your base so you can gm1 yourself to get back to where you were and then gm0 yourselves when done. Let me know what works best for you.

Once again, I'm sorry we had to go down that route. See you in game - laters. Ham

Man of Honour
Okay - I've bitten the bullet and rolled back. Good news is the lag has gone. The skipped ticks every 30 secs are all gone. Bad news is your work over the last couple of days has gone. I'm sorry about that. After extensive testing and research the only thing I can think happened is a machine did an operation at the same split second the server backed-up, causing a perpetual loop. 1 in a million type thing.

Anyhoo, either pop on tonight and I can give you creative or I can put a command block at your base so you can gm1 yourself to get back to where you were and then gm0 yourselves when done. Let me know what works best for you.

Once again, I'm sorry we had to go down that route. See you in game - laters. Ham

Been a while but one thing you could also try is looking at the larger chunk files with recently modified dates and dropping in some of those to the rolled back map load. It'll probably take a bit of time but usually you can work out which particular bit of the map is causing problems without too much hassle.

Soldato
OP
Been a while but one thing you could also try is looking at the larger chunk files with recently modified dates and dropping in some of those to the rolled back map load. It'll probably take a bit of time but usually you can work out which particular bit of the map is causing problems without too much hassle.

Yea it was an option, luckily players haven't lost too much and a quick gm1 has got them back up to speed :) Oh, feel free to hop on the server btw :p :D:)

Soldato
OP
Urgh.....

The server was running fine. The last player logged off at 01:19 early hours this morning. With no players on the server, the first warning/tick skip was at 02:10 followed by an occasional other from 03:33 onwards, culminating in a warning every 30 seconds from 03:52 onwards. These warnings have been constant up until I got up this morning and tried to restart the server @ 07:55 Now the server will not start - it's throwing error reports.

This means I will have to restore the backup and do some testing of areas to pin down the issue. It would appear that there is a machine/entity issue "somewhere". It has to be in one of the chunkloaded areas, otherwise whatever the issue is would not get processed.

So - bear with me. Sorry about this guys.

Edit - ok, so even though the issues started at 3am a 6am restore has sorted it. I'm going to add an auto-restart (if possible) to the server to auto restart every 6 hours or so

Edit2: Ok so the server will now save and then restart every 6 hours in a bid to stop any lag build up. The scheduled hours are currently 16:01 22:01 04:01 and 10:01 I'm happy to change these times is people would rather - cheers - Ham

Last edited:
Soldato
@haaammit Have you got a restart script running? typically garbage collection is never handled well by mods and over time causes the server to lag. It's not clear in your posts if your looking for the issue after a restart to combat the lag generated over time or if upon restart the lag exists anyway (sorry if I missed it)

IIRC - Journeymap server side used to be a prime example, it didn't handle jumping dimensions very well and would cause lag.

Soldato
OP
Soz mate - missed your post!

Kind of a combination of the two - trying to source the lag has, so far, been fruitless. The server generates a ton of warnings, to a point where the server won't even restart. A restore clears the issues, so as per your recommendation, the server will now restart every 6 hours or so to see if this will combat the lag build up! The scheduled hours for the restart are currently 16:01 22:01 04:01 and 10:01 I'm happy to change these times is people would rather

Cheers :)

Associate
Those times work well for me.

Also, if it helps feel free to unload my chunkloaded areas. If it turns out it's one of my machines causing issues then we can turn them all off and then bring them back on one by one if needed. Probably won't be on much until later in the week so just do what you need to do :)

Soldato
OP
-.-

Okay - so, the restart didn't seem to stop the lag from starting this evening at about 18:00. The server did restart, I could see it in the console.

I tried a manual restart to try and clear the lag, but when it restarted the lag was still present. As a test, I restored a previous backup from this morning - as expected this cured the lag, just as it did yesterday. To try and dig a little deeper, I reloaded the current world save and booted it up. I expected the lag to be there straight away as the world was saved with the lag present......except all traces of lag have disappeared.

I really don't profess to understand why a restart will not clear the lag, but to load up an older world, stop the server and reload up the current world DOES clear the lag. Wall/Head interface.

Ideas on a postcard?

As a test, I have disabled all loaded chunks and have moved spawn, as a few of my chunks were in spawnchunks - can I ask that as a temp measure we don't chunkload? Ta. To get back to spawn, I've put a temporary warp there - ./warp spawn

Cheers - Ham

Associate
Ideas on a postcard?

I don't know anything about running servers so feel free to point out if I'm being an idiot. When the server restarts is that the entire VM or just the Minecraft instance? Aside from a longer outage time does that have any impact on performance?

I'm trying to think what's different about loading up an old world verses restarting the current one and coming up at a loss

Back
Top Bottom