BMW and M Power Owners

Permabanned
No it isn't.

No it isn't :p

Comparing fuel economy is largely pointless as no two people have exactly the same driving style and exactly the same driving route. Unless you live next door to your colleague and you commute the same way at the same time the different fuel economy figures are meaningless.

Argue argue argue... deal with it.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
I owned an F10 520d and currently own an F10 535d.

Over the 30,000 miles I covered in the 520d I achieved 43.94mpg.

Over the 19,000 miles I have covered so far in the 535d I achieved 35.50mpg.

The 35d engine is obviously much better than the 20d engine in a lot of ways but fuel economy isn’t one of them.

Caporegime
Fox probably has a good direct or indirect relationship with the dealer.

Otherwise you need to be able to talk the right talk to get such a demo as a courtesy car. Not impossible, just need to learn the right talk... if that's what you were after.
I enquired recently with my not quite so local dealer (Blue Bell Crewe - Knights at Stoke wouldn’t budge on the service price despite being part of the same group, Blue Bell are doing it more or less for the same price as an inspection II for an e39 535i) they said I could have whatever was available at the time and if I let them know in advance they could pretty much guarantee my pick, they had at that time everything from a 1 to a 7 Series for loan.

I’ve never dealt with them previously bar ordering a touch up stick a few months back.

Soldato
Fox probably has a good direct or indirect relationship with the dealer.

Otherwise you need to be able to talk the right talk to get such a demo as a courtesy car. Not impossible, just need to learn the right talk... if that's what you were after.
I remember when my 1.6 TDI A3 was in for some warranty work and Audi gave me a 2.0 TDI A6 as a courtesy car. It was a very nice car to drive around in for a few days. Didn't think they'd give someone that was 21 at the time such a car.

Soldato
be interested how you get on. Dunno if you replied to my M3 V8 post on FB?

Fitted the thermostat the other day. The car now gets up to 79-81c quickly and stays there no matter what. The oil also heats up much quicker. Before it'd get up to around 75c quickly, but then seem to stop and sit at 75c for ages before slowly getting up to 85c.

It doesn't stop and sit at 75c anymore and just continues straight up to 85c without pausing. I imagine the previous thermostat being stuck open was causing the engine to be cooled too much, bringing the engine temp down to 65c. It'd then taken ages for the oil to get much above this (hence the long pause when the oil got to 70-75c), as the lower coolant temperature was in effect, cooling the oil down as well.

Soldato
Thanks.

How long did it take to fit? Sounds like I need to do mine too

Well it took 30minutes for me to get to the point where I could remove the thermostat housing. Unfortunately I didn't drain the coolant from the reservoir. I know. Fail. So I had to clear up that which took a while.

The thermostat seal was very perished and came off in bits and it took some persuasion to come out. New one just pushed straight in. Make sure you buy two new O rings that give the seal to the two metal pipes which lead into the block.

Then getting that plenum seated into the throttle bodies again was a pain in the arse. But like with everything, there is a knack to doing it. Put all your weight on the plenum and rock/shake it side to side to get it to fall into place. Then the biggest pain in the arse out of them all - that ******* PCV hose on the rear right of the plenum. Trying to get that hose to clip back in is bloody impossible. There's just no room to get your hand to squeeze with enough force to push it into the hole on the plenum. This one hose I struggled with for 1.5 hours and finally got it. I think the trick was instead of trying to push it into the hole squarely, to put it in at a slight angle so that one side of the clip clicks into place, then lever the other side of the clip into place. This will mean more to you if you end up DIYing it.

In the end the whole job took about 3.5hours. I think i could easily do it again now in under an hour.

A Mahle thermostat cost £21 and I also bought a new FAE temperature sensor for like £12 which screws into the thermostat housing since I had it all in bits anyway. New O rings will be about £3. Reuse the old coolant you removed from the reservoir.

Back
Top Bottom