Connecting 2 buildings together via rooftop. Cat6 suitable? if not please spec me fibre cabling

Soldato
Another option might be simply running the cable down the wall, under the road (depending on it's makeup) and up the other wall. With the safe distance of ethernet being in excess of 50m it's probably the route I'd first take.

Also consider that joining to two networks together isn't as simple as connecting both switches.

I assume (given you have these switches in place already) that both also have WAN connections. As such you'll either need to remove one WAN connection and have all computers on the network use one of them, OR add a layer 3 switch OR get some routers capable of doing static routes.

Or something like that... it's been a while since I've looked into this as ultimately I just setup a VPN. With file sizes only ever really getting up to 2GB, and symmetric 150Mbps internet connections in both premises, we didn't really consider it worth the effort :)

A lot of the time robustness and simplicity is what people really want over something being super duper fast.

EDIT: Sorry, might have missed that you've got the kit already that you wanted :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yes I think its the lowest you can get. New to putting the order for fibre. Should do a bit more research
Is that for actual outdoor rated "loose tube", "nylon" or "swa" fibre though - that sort of price sounds like a standard patch lead?

New to dealing with fibre cable so i didn't check for those, but those are not specified in the description of the cheap cable. Did a google search, and as has been said those types are at least £100. I think I'll risk it with this OM3 cable for £20, and any issues arise i will change it and put it down as a learning experience.

But I can't dig up the road, so that was never an option and they're running off 1 WAN,

Thanks.

Soldato
Little snippet for you;
I've had a "Wireless Wire" in at work to "play" with and I must say I'm really impressed with the kit and the out of the box setup. Testing is yet to stretch further than across the room however here's what I've done so far. I will caveat that the second and third screenshots where it goes uncapped speeds the MikroTik bandwidth test tool is renowned for being inefficient and the CPU cannot generate enough traffic so the speeds look decreased (and also latency goes to the dogs a bit). I'm hoping to get some powerhouses behind them later to prove the full gigabit with minimal latency. Early testing looks impressive though.

Limited to 500Mb full duplex;

Gigabit one way;

Gigabit full duplex;

Soldato
@Steveocee - looks good, and since you first mentioned them certainly raised my interest. Only issue I can find is that 60Ghz is a lot more susceptible to disruption due to rain etc. so be interesting to see what it's like in real world use case.

I'm actually at a weird point with them, OFCOM state that to use the 60Ghz banding you must use an antenna with a minimum of 30dB gain, these are certainly nowhere near that so I've asked for some clarification as to if/how you can use them legally within the UK. It would be a huge shame not to be able to.

Yes they can be susceptible to rain fade and at greater distance, the atmosphere but up to 100m they should be fine and lets face it, if you have a link that you DEPEND on over that distance and can't take a small rain fade down to 500/500 then really you should be paying the right money to run real fibre in.

Fingers crossed they are usable.

Back
Top Bottom