1150 board with USB interference issues

Associate
Hello all. Been having an issue when trying to use a USB audio interface on a cheap PC that was bought over xmas.

The PC is using an Asrock motherboard, it's 1150 and fairly basic (B85 rings a bell - I will check).
Anyway I used to get little bits of electrical interference that you could hear through the speakers. Nothing much, put it mostly down to cheap speakers. Then I bought a USB audio interface for recording some mic/guitar work. I've used various ones before, particularly the Focusrite's and Presonus boxes. Never had any issues. This time I bought a Steinberg UR22 MkII - seemed a nice unit, works great on iPad pro, but when plugged into the PC it makes the most awful distorted crackly sounds when the guitar is played. Sounds terrible (the crackling - not commenting on the guitar playing :))

Lots of investigations later, including buying another audio interface which behaves just as badly, and the issue seems to be with the motherboard/USB ports. Set everything up with my laptop yesterday and it worked perfectly, same as with my iPad, just with this PC it's not great.

I installed the latest Intel INF in the hope of improving the USB drivers (Win10 64), still the same. Also I played around with USB compatibility in the BIOS, but again no real change.

I can get the crackles and distortion reduced by massively upping the ASIO buffer size, but it really shouldn't need that, and upping it introduces massive latency and instability.

So before I look at changing to a decent motherboard, is there anything I've missed?

Cheers

Soldato
Hard to say without knowing which motherboard it is, but the USB port's grounding may not be isolated from other components. Does the same thing happen with the front USB ports?

Could try a PCIe USB expansion card with a cleaner power delivery, or maybe even a powered USB hub?

Back
Top Bottom