• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So, 19th March GDC Nvidia Key Note

Associate
Thanks. Considering I am on a FuryX and if the new cards be around 20% better then a 1080Ti, then I think I hold off and wait. I understand it is just pure guess work but even if it is 15% it be better then a Ti now, or os is my assumption at least. Appreciate your reply. :)

In the same boat as you... these cards are now End Of Life effectively, so will be waiting until the new Voltas.

With the previous gen, the £400 GTX1070 benchmarks about the same as a 980ti. So hopefully, the xx70 will be like a 1080ti! Pure speculation, but possible :)

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/3439vs3609

Caporegime
Man of Honour
I'd happily (well at least a little happier) pay £500 for xx70 GPU if it was a decent performance increase and more like the GTX470, etc. in line up in the tier - unfortunately those days seem to have gone :(

Caporegime
Yeah, sure. But I'd rather pay £500 for 1080ti specs than £750
True. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and suck up the price increases this gen.

Set my budget to £600, and hope for the 1170 at least for that price :p 1180 maybe...

Then I shall cry myself to sleep and never mention this again to anyone.

I know it's against everything I've said previously, but railing against the new reality doesn't stop it being the new reality. And the horizon just shows more of the same (price increases). I'll just have to make this purchase last 3-5 years is all.

Man of Honour
I wonder (though not sure how) if we'll see nVidia try and make miners buy their compute focused cards (at higher cost) - seems to be some rumbling behind the scenes about it but its not an easy one to enforce as these days even games will make fair use of compute type functionality so you can only cut that back so far on a GeForce card.

Soldato
True. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and suck up the price increases this gen.

Set my budget to £600, and hope for the 1170 at least for that price :p 1180 maybe...

Then I shall cry myself to sleep and never mention this again to anyone.

I know it's against everything I've said previously, but railing against the new reality doesn't stop it being the new reality. And the horizon just shows more of the same (price increases). I'll just have to make this purchase last 3-5 years is all.

I think you will be safe enough with that budget. My guess is that the next gen cards will be roughly the same price as Pascal at Launch. So you should be able to get the more powerful card for £600. Of course it all depends if you like reference coolers or more expensive custom models. :)

And don't worry, we won't hold your ideals against you in future debates. :p

Caporegime
Custom. Always custom. Noise grounds alone make ref cards unappealing.

Having said that, my current Sapphire 480 custom is loud as an herd of elephants stampeding through a cymbal shop. Doesn't seem to be a guarantee of good acoustics.

Associate
So guys, you think its really coming ? 2070/2080

1. Whats the probable % increase in performance over 2080Ti, vs 2080.
2. Is there any legid info(legid rumors) that it is really coming March 2018+ ?
3. I guess its not worth it to buy 1080Ti now, even with discount codes, right ?
:)

Caporegime
Had a 980 reference and a 1080 reference(now water cooled) and noise is fine.
Well in the current climate I could (probably will) take a punt. Seems a fairly safe bet that I could sell it on again for minimal losses should the ref cooler be too loud.

The idea of venting hot air out of the case is a good one, if noise can be kept under control.

Permabanned
Well in the current climate I could (probably will) take a punt. Seems a fairly safe bet that I could sell it on again for minimal losses should the ref cooler be too loud.

The idea of venting hot air out of the case is a good one, if noise can be kept under control.

I honestly didnt notice noise on either card, however at that point my case was under the desk so maybe if you had it closer it might me but I dont think they are too bad these days.

Though third party ones are generally cooler, quieter and clock better.

Associate
Will OCUK be implementing any policies to avoid scalpers or miners from buying up all the stock?

I'm itching to replace my GTX 1080 as I've been holding off on a Ti for so long.

Soldato
Will OCUK be implementing any policies to avoid scalpers or miners from buying up all the stock?

I'm itching to replace my GTX 1080 as I've been holding off on a Ti for so long.

It's possible that there will be a repeat of previous launches, where NVIDIA Store has an exclusive window on selling. There is always a PC limit on their store. Shame that it's terrible to use, though. FE cards only, too (of course).

Associate
It's possible that there will be a repeat of previous launches, where NVIDIA Store has an exclusive window on selling. There is always a PC limit on their store. Shame that it's terrible to use, though. FE cards only, too (of course).

I definitely won't be interested in their FE cards. Would rather wait for 3rd party options.

Back
Top Bottom