Snow Sports Thread 2017-18

Soldato
Holiday book, and off for a weeks family snow boarding to Borovets in Bulgaria at the start of February! Really pleased as we were looking at postponing our next snow holiday until 2019!

Associate
Dakine Low Roller is a v common choice. I would happily get one again if needed.

easily fit 2 (or 3 boards if needed?), 1 bindings, 1 boots and a load of clothes - generally only need my low roller and carry on luggage for a week away. btw, never put helmet in board bag as it's designed to be replaced after any hard impact (the foam crumple-zone inside the shell only crumples once) and the way the board bags/skis get thrown around would almost suggest replacing it every trip... (put your helmet in carry on - I've even had it clipped to the outside of my carry on in the past)

Caporegime
Purchased some Dynafit TLT7 Performance carbon boots yesterday, 3 hours of fitting with custom footbeds and $900 lighter. I have wide feet and there aren't many options, and these only weigh 1kg and have a fantastic climb mode. Not sure when I can try them out because I am probably working this weekend and if I do get a day off I'll be enjoying the 2meter of fresh powder on my Black Crows.

Caporegime
Back to level 5. Deadly out there turning into another winter of white death. Hopefully modelling a has improved enough to prevent another galtur

Soldato
Hey guys,

Been skiing around 6 full weeks and now decided I need to upgrade some basic gear. Any suggestions for goggles with two lenses (i.e. one for sunny conditions and one for bad weather)? I really struggled at Christmas when it was slightly overcast because all I could see is solid white...

Caporegime
I never bother with goggles when it is sunny, just some sunglass that completely cover both eyes.
Goggles are reserved for storm days, with a decent yellow lens. Nothing extravagant.

Don
OP
I prefer goggles just to cover up the rest of my head from the sun with a helmet. Current generation photochromic lens can pretty much do away with the need for carrying separate lenses for different conditions, though I find mine are just a fraction too bright on very sunny days. Slightly more expensive than the equivalent 2 lens goggles.

Soldato
Been skiing around 6 full weeks and now decided I need to upgrade some basic gear. Any suggestions for goggles with two lenses (i.e. one for sunny conditions and one for bad weather)? I really struggled at Christmas when it was slightly overcast because all I could see is solid white...
if you have bronze coloured polarized oakleys these have a very wide range dusk to sunny and give good depth perception on snow

Caporegime
I never bother with goggles when it is sunny, just some sunglass that completely cover both eyes.
Goggles are reserved for storm days, with a decent yellow lens. Nothing extravagant.

Do you not end up blind from the wind?

I have wrap around sunglasses but don’t wear them skiing because if I’m going remotely fast I my eyes just end up a watery mess.

Caporegime
Do you not end up blind from the wind?

I have wrap around sunglasses but don’t wear them skiing because if I’m going remotely fast I my eyes just end up a watery mess.
Nope, sunglasses are fine.

I dont; ski as fast as I used though, more technical terrain necessitating jump turns, or deep powder to be savored. And much of my skiing is touring in the remote backcountry so I'm more risk adverse. Not that i'm slow, i just don't go in a truck and break the sound barrier as i did when I was 18.Even when at a resort I haven't had issues with sun flasses, and they are much more comfortable unless it is snowing.

Soldato
oakley flakjacket xlj's are fine, glacier glasses vuarnet px5000 fine too, need tethers too, lost the latter after wipe out.

Associate
Guys, Looking at planning a trip for next season, I've just had knee surgery so I wasn't able to go this season :(
But has anyone done it self catering and booked everything separate? eg: booking.com etc
trying to save as much as possible. Looking at France etc End of Jan 2019

Associate
Guys, Looking at planning a trip for next season, I've just had knee surgery so I wasn't able to go this season :(
But has anyone done it self catering and booked everything separate? eg: booking.com etc
trying to save as much as possible. Looking at France etc End of Jan 2019

Not done self catered but for the first time I went for a last minute deal with the people I went with. Got a catered chalet in Val Thorens, France with lift pass for £800 inclusive of flights. Pretty good going I think. There are always deals for france last min.

Heres the video from my trip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jqtq7ZObEI

Associate
Not done self catered but for the first time I went for a last minute deal with the people I went with. Got a catered chalet in Val Thorens, France with lift pass for £800 inclusive of flights. Pretty good going I think. There are always deals for france last min.

Heres the video from my trip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jqtq7ZObEI

that's a decent price! great resort too for snow, However I find it a bit Meh, there just aint any greenery if that makes sense.
Awesome little vid by the way! So much snow!

Associate
that's a decent price! great resort too for snow, However I find it a bit Meh, there just aint any greenery if that makes sense.

I felt exactly the same, in my terms I like tree skiing for which we need to head over to Meribel and Courchevel. For the price though I couldn't really fault it.

Thanks dude

Caporegime

It is also desolate wasteland when the weather isn't good, and mid-winter is extremely cold. These extremely high resorts work well early and late season but as you say, Meribel and courchevel are way nicer. I like Mericel, sicne you are in the middle and can easily go to anywhere in the whole area with way less risk of getitng stuck in the wrong valley.

Back
Top Bottom