BMW Warranty

Soldato
I paid monthly but didn’t get moved onto the new terms.

My local dealer has completely put me off another BMW, getting warranty work done was a total ball ache, they made up problems and the prices are just silly.

By changing the price they in effect put you into a new contract with the new T&C's including the new price .That's how I would argue it anyway. Also if you look up the warranty booklet online you will only have access to the new version with the new terms in it.

Doesn't alter the fact the warranty isn't as easy as it should be by any means and the dealers are shocking.

Soldato
At this point you could just get rid of the car and use the money to get a new , non BMW.

Don't know what the 2nd hand value is, but surely it's better to offload now than wait for more depreciation.

Maybe worth £20k. Nice brand new car with 3 years warranty. Nice Polo GTI.

In years tune it'll be worth 17k and 2 years 15k, and then the real problems could start to happen.

Last edited:
Caporegime
By changing the price they in effect put you into a new contract with the new T&C's including the new price .That's how I would argue it anyway. Also if you look up the warranty booklet online you will only have access to the new version with the new terms in it.

Doesn't alter the fact the warranty isn't as easy as it should be by any means and the dealers are shocking.

Yeah I argued the same and eventually they gave in but it took a formal complaint to BMW to get Mondial to cave.

The whole thing was a farce and immensely frustrating. I eventually got the work done at BMWs expense and they tried to sting me for a new front brake caliper for £700 due to a leaking bleed valve. Had it checked by 2 garages since and not a hint of a leak.

Soldato
That is really annoying that you have to battle.

I had the health report back on mine while it was in last week telling me the brakes are getting low which I know. They then went on to say all four discs are below the minimum thickness and they recommend they are replaced when the brakes are done. I only had the rear wheels of 10 days before and had the conversation with the service manager again that this was the second time I'd been in that office for them fraudulently trying to sell parts. I had all the pictures of the rear disc measurements on my phone. They were 23mm bang on, new discs are 24mm and the wear limit which I also had a photo of is 22mm.

Like I said before I feel sorry for those that they keep stinging each time they go in, they should be trustworthy in the first place. BMW need to get a grip of all their dealers as eventually they will ruin the brand.

To answer neocon, I love the car I don't think there is another car out there that ticks all the boxes and they are really well built. Next time though I wouldn't bother with the warranty but would put the money aside from first ownership, that leaves a pretty big slush fund for eventualities then. Things like the bumpstop I had done I would do myself for £20 and even the airsprings are an easy DIY. I just dont see why I have to do them while I have the warranty and now I have it on this one I won't give it up until the next car.

On a side note there's an interesting video on the tube from ZF who make the gearbox explaining the 8 speed box which BMW say is sealed for life has a recommended service interval of 60k miles and isn't meant to be sealed for life and why.
https://youtu.be/D0f3AYoE3cI

Associate
My wife's 2015 430d is out of warranty from March this year and we've investigated the cost of extending the warranty - Comprehensive with emergency service and £250 excess is coming in at £421/yr (or £47/month, but with the car only having done 21k i think we will pay annually). I wondered if it is still possible to successfully negotiate the price with BMW or have they got wise to this now and the price is just the price?

Hi Rusty

Which 430 do you have?

I have a 430D M Sport Coupe with 20,000 miles on the clock

The online quotation is coming out at:-

Comprehensive with £100 excess & emergency service = £648.12

Comprehensive with £250 excess & emergency service = £511.07

Comprehensive with £100 excess & NO emergency service = £548.91

Comprehensive with £250 excess & NO emergency service = £412.87

Named component with £100 excess & emergency service = £573.46

Named component with £250 excess & emergency service = £464.02

Named component with £100 excess & NO emergency service = £474.22

Named component £250 excess & NO emergency service = £364.80

Thanks

Associate
OP
Hi Rusty

Which 430 do you have?

It's a 430d M Sport Coupe. Manufacturers warranty does not expire until March and the price we have is to renew; As Fox said, your price may be due to a new policy (where the risk is higher for the insurer) rather than renewal/continuation of existing warranty?

Associate
Do you have an existing policy? Renewal is cheaper than a new policy quote.

The car is three years old on the 6th March 2018 & was purchased from a BMW dealer when it was 6 months old with the remaining warranty from BMW.
It has the service pack on it & has been serviced at the correct intervals, so is know by BMW.

Not sure if this makes it a new policy or a continuation of the existing warranty?

Associate
It's a 430d M Sport Coupe. Manufacturers warranty does not expire until March and the price we have is to renew; As Fox said, your price may be due to a new policy (where the risk is higher for the insurer) rather than renewal/continuation of existing warranty?

Thanks for the reply Rusty
Sounds like my car is exactly the same.
My warranty also runs out in March as the car is three years old.
Not sure why the price difference between our cars.
With the information I have given does it look much different?
Also have you claimed on the manufacturers warranty yet?

Man of Honour
Thanks for the reply Rusty
Sounds like my car is exactly the same.
My warranty also runs out in March as the car is three years old.
Not sure why the price difference between our cars.
With the information I have given does it look much different?
Also have you claimed on the manufacturers warranty yet?

Have you been asked for a PIN when getting a quote or is it just giving you one? Do you have a private plate?

Associate
How are you getting the quote ? You should get a letter with a code to access the discounted price on the website due to the car already being under warranty.

Have you been asked for a PIN when getting a quote or is it just giving you one? Do you have a private plate?

A letter came through the post from BMW UK with all the details on it. The information has the original number plate from the car (been registered with my private plate for a long time).
I went onto their web page & put in the details they gave me (original number plate & part of the VIN number the first time).
I have also phoned the number & they asked me for my details, (gave them the original number) I then told them about the change of number & asked for a discount. They said no to any discount

Do you think I talked to the wrong person or is there something else I can do????

Last edited:
Soldato
While a slightly older car, I've had an E89 Z4 35i under warranty from the day i got it and the extended has been ~£350yr comp with 100 excess (no recovery) and has paid for 1 muffler / exhaust bit (cost of the part and fitting on this one was over a grand), 1/2 price of a boot seal (not covered but they agreed some good will), 2 rear light pods (common issue), 2 iDrive controllers, 1 iDrive firmware upgrade/re-flash, 1 rear spring and it's going in for a new usb/aux controller soon. Don't get me wrong, car's been a bit of pain some years but like fox said, any issue - local BMW garage, they fix it in 3 days and then time to drive it like i stole it again. I don't begrude a car having issues as thats life but the warranty made everything go seamlessly. I bought it to cover against N54 HPFP issues but never had a single issue with anything to do with the engine to date.

Man of Honour

Comprehensive with £100 excess & emergency service = £648.12

This is the new policy price not the renewal price so I've no idea what's going on. They don't offer discounts but there are two prices.

Associate
I have a F10 530D (2010) with 80k on the clock.

I took out BMW comprehensive warranty in 2015. So far any issues have been covered under warranty with no issues.

Had a rear suspension spring break earlier in the week and they are claiming it's not covered due to it being a wear and tear item. Is this correct? I can't seem to find the policy booklet to confirm this.

Back
Top Bottom