Buying an e-bike

Soldato
I am fit, and cycle 4.9 miles per day going to work, so return journey is 9.8 miles mon-fri. On a regular bicycle. Each ride takes about 25-30 minutes. For a 2.5 hour shift. This is fine physically. Plus my other job which is about 5-10 minutes away.

However I am possibly moving further away, so I could possibly be riding a further 5.8 miles, going from back and forth, so possibly upto 31 miles per day. Then I have another job, as well.

I was thinking then maybe having a e-bike would help, making those longer journeys feel more like the 30 minute ride.

I would prefer road bike style e-bike. Are there any that will pace me along to 20mph or so?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/bikes-road-eplus

Any opinions on e-bikes how much will it help etc.

Soldato
I've been looking into these for my wife.

I must admit those days when the wind is in your face and you're cycling uphill one of these would be great.

Edit: At that price I'd probably just get a motorbike.

Soldato
Never understood these e-bikes to be honest.

The whole point of a bicycle is to get from A to B under your own power. It's a healthy way of getting about and getting some exercise.

Otherwise just get a moped.

Soldato

The whole point of a bicycle is to get from A to B under your own power. It's a healthy way of getting about and getting some exercise.

Gammy knee ?

The whole point of an e-bike is no (or little) overheads.

Although the e-bikes on the op's link look great there aint no way I'd pay £3.5k for one !
Having said that I really like the Michael Blast e-bikes.

Build one yourself. Lots of fun - MUCH cheaper and more powerful with more range.

Soldato
The whole point of a bicycle is to get from A to B under your own power.

Is it though? Cycling means different things to different people. There's a chap in my cycling club who rides an e-bike. He's 80 years old and without it would probably have had to give up the sport he loves. With the e-bike he doesn't get dropped on the hills and can continue with the weekly social rides. They're also great for carrying heavy loads like a weekly supermarket shop.

Obviously if your primary enjoyment from cycling is the physical challenge, then no, e-bikes are probably not for you. But they open cycling as a form of transport up to a much bigger audience and, in my opinion, that can only be a good thing!

Soldato

For many people it is simply about getting from A to B and thats it. Maybe they don't have a drivers licence, no where to park at home or work, traffic is bad so it is quicker on 2 wheels, they don't want to add to the pollution in their town etc.

You still get exercise on an e-bike, you can just decide how much rather than the terrain and/or winds dictating that for you.

Soldato
Im sure I looked at e-bikes about 18 months ago and £600-£1000 was the going rate - just looked now and it seems £2k-£3k+

The bike frame is just that so this extra is for the battery plus a motor???

Soldato
My e-bike was just under £700 when I bought it around 8 years ago. Here it is now
http://www.powacycle.co.uk/Salisbury-Li-Ion-Electric-Bike.asp

Recently I've changed the hub motor and obviously the battery too.
I chose 48v but now I have experience I realise I should've chosen the 72v option.

Hey Ho. It's still great fun.

If anyone does decide to build their own then

• Decide placement of motor. Front hub (like a front wheel drive car), Mid or Rear hub.
  • Balance matters. I have a rear hub motor & battery on the rear rack. It's hella heavy on the rear.
  • Frame. The battery has to go somewhere and so does the Controller (Think balance)
  • Hard tail or suspension ? It's going to be a heavy bike. Hard tail DOES feel the bumps - HARD

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Odd, I thought the whole point of a bike for commuting purposes was as a form of transport.

If I want exercise I go to the gym.

Could I take a moped on cycle paths, canal tow paths and bridleways?

Man of Honour

I thought exactly like you 6 years ago and then realised the whole point is to get to A to B like any journey.
My commute to work in a car is a nightmare because when I get there I have a 20 minute walk from the car park and that's even if I had a moped.
I'm on the waiting list for two new knees through running marathons so about a year into cycling to work I needed help so bought an e-Bike.
If I had a moped I would still get stuck in traffic and still have to do the 20 minute walk.
I now have two converted e-Bikes and I can by-pass 90% of the traffic by keeping to paths, cycle lanes etc and I can save 20 mins per journey because I don't have to walk, driving in a car to the car park takes me the same time as cycling to outside my office.
I'm the only person in an office of 100 who never complains about commuting & parking - get in.

It's the future.

Oh yeah, and sometimes because I can, I will get home from work absolutely knackered because I've pushed myself hard so still get the exercise I had on my normal bike if not more.

Man of Honour
AmigaFan is an expert on e-Bikes and the first person I would ask for advice.
I'm pretty sure he would say don't buy an e-Bike off the shelf, buy a decent bike and convert it.
I started of with a Cyclotricity Stealth and ended up converting a Trek MTB and Trek Hybrid with Cyclotricity electrics and I'm very happy.

Back
Top Bottom