• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen "2" ?

Caporegime
Is what you said. I say lets prove it. I'm sure we have some games with built in benchmarks in common. Or even 3dmark.
720P to remove GPU limits.

You are yet again quoting out of context and framing it differently to its context to further your own agenda, strawman.

This is the full quote.
What do you think the IPC difference is now? Cinebench R15, Ryzen 5 1600 at 4Ghz scores about 1350, 8700K at 5Ghz about 1700, that's a 26% difference in score vs 25% difference in clock speed.

Ryzen 1 vs Coffeelake IPC is as near as makes no difference identical.

Soldato
TBH,all this means diddly squat as RAM pricing is so crap,and the modern CPUs like faster RAM,whether its Intel or AMD. RAM pricing itself is probably more of a barrier,and its even making graphics cards even MORE overpriced.

Soldato
You are yet again quoting out of context and framing it differently to its context to further your own agenda, strawman.

This is the full quote.

You keep telling yourself that ryzen has coffee IPC because it says so in cinebench..... You know full well CPU frequency does not scale linearly. You also know full well this doesn't translate into gaming.

Enjoy your dinner, hit me up when you want to test your CPU.

Soldato
TBH,all this means diddly squat as RAM pricing is so crap,and the modern CPUs like faster RAM,whether its Intel or AMD. RAM pricing itself is probably more of a barrier,and its even making graphics cards even MORE overpriced.

Indeed, my 1070 has lost zero value since I got it a year ago.
I have already seen people head over to consoles due to pricing.

Soldato

Agreed. I use 32gb and it cost more than the cpu+mb combined. Pretty sure I could have bought nearly the same kit for half the price a couple of years ago. But of course, it's all the same memory so there wasn't any choice other than to add a tube of lube to my basket along with.

Soldato
Indeed, my 1070 has lost zero value since I got it a year ago.
I have already seen people head over to consoles due to pricing.
Agreed. I use 32gb and it cost more than the cpu+mb combined. Pretty sure I could have bought nearly the same kit for half the price a couple of years ago. But of course, it's all the same memory so there wasn't any choice other than to add a tube of lube to my basket along with.

Well my mates 3000MHZ 16GB Corsair kit which would have cost around £60 to £80 in 2016,costs around £180 to £190 now. Plus AMD,putting their foot off the GPU accelerator(due to the HBM and HBM2 miscalculation),and mining,etc has just made cards also more expensive for the improvements we get,in recent history. SSD pricing also seems to have gotten worse,and HDD pricing for years has stagnated. In fact the only things which have gone down are CPUs and monitors,but not enough to compensate for the rest of it. Even Windows 10 seems to be slightly more expensive.

Associate
I'm not being defensive. My only argument is that ryzen does not have coffeelake IPC as you claimed.
We both have 1070's lets clock the CPU's to the same frequency and find out. We can even do 720p to remove any GPU bottlenecks. :)

Enjoy testing :)

Small note: lowering res changes the cpu workload with more draw call relative to other stuff so you're better leaving it.

Soldato
Pretty sure that's the point of testing at lower resolutions, if you actually want a CPU-CPU comparison.

@Combat Fighter New Threadripper will probably come around end of summer/early autumn.

Exactly the point. To highlight raw cpu performance. Which I'm still happy to do btw, for science if nothing else.
We could even do a simple one like unigene heaven at 720p .

Caporegime
The whole Cinebench debate is because AMD's SMT scales better than Intels HT, so Intel loses a few percent and AMD gains a few percent. Ryzen's better than Haswell IPC (Slightly). But it's not up there with Coffeelake.

Just run Cinebench without HT or CMT, same clock the 8700K will be faster. Simple.

Caporegime
The whole Cinebench debate is because AMD's SMT scales better than Intels HT, so Intel loses a few percent and AMD gains a few percent. Ryzen's better than Haswell IPC (Slightly). But it's not up there with Coffeelake.

Just run Cinebench without HT or CMT, same clock the 8700K will be faster. Simple.

IPC is IPC.

I have my self point out this discrepancy between SMT and none SMT performance, but to argue that its not a fair comparison because AMD's SMT is better and therefore must be discounted is disingenuous to say the least, if it was the other way round i doubt anyone would dare make the argument that Intel's SMT performance should be disqualified. its ridiculous.

Caporegime
IPC is IPC.

I have my self point out this discrepancy between SMT and none SMT performance, but to argue that its not a fair comparison because AMD's SMT is better and therefore must be discounted is disingenuous to say the least, if it was the other way round i doubt anyone would dare make the argument that Intel's SMT performance should be disqualified. its ridiculous.

You say IPC is IPC. Yet you require both CPU's to be at 100% usage before your scenario of Ryzen performance is true. That *is* disingenuous. In your typical gaming scenario the CPU usages would be different to that of Cinebench and in those instances Coffeelake IPC is higher.

I'm all for using Cinebench as an IPC indicator for gaming performance. But SMT/HT muddy the waters.

Caporegime
You say IPC is IPC. Yet you require both CPU's to be at 100% usage before your scenario of Ryzen performance is true. That *is* disingenuous.

You don't understand what IPC is, you cannot gouge how many Instructions Per-Clock Cycle a CPU is capable of executing unless its running at full capacity, you are arguing aspects of the Ryzen architecture should be disabled because with them on it has higher IPC than it does with them off.

Bonkers.

Soldato
You don't understand what IPC is, you cannot gouge how many Instructions Per-Clock Cycle a CPU is capable of executing unless its running at full capacity, you are arguing aspects of the Ryzen architecture should be disabled because with them on it has higher IPC than it does with them off.

Bonkers.

Run heaven at 720p I'll downclock to 3.9 or whatever speed yours is at and we'll talk about gaming ipc.

Caporegime

Bonkers.

I give up.

When IPC was mentioned Intel versus AMD before AMD had SMT. Never once did people add the HT on.

SMT/HT aren't used until all physical cores are used. AMD gain lost ground as more logical threads are used. But that isn't indicative of performance overall, especially in gaming.

Caporegime
I give up.

When IPC was mentioned Intel versus AMD before AMD had SMT. Never once did people add the HT on.

Bulldozer? Bulldozer was a heap of ####, Intel's IPC was higher across the board, no ambiguity about that and its right to blatantly say with that "Intel has higher IPC" its true.

Ryzen is not Bulldozer, which didn't have SMT, we are talking about Ryzen and Ryzen has SMT, you can't just make it go away.

Soldato
Bulldozer? Bulldozer was a heap of ####, Intel's IPC was higher across the board, no ambiguity about that and its right to blatantly say with that "Intel has higher IPC" its true.

Ryzen is not Bulldozer, which didn't have SMT, we are talking about Ryzen and Ryzen has SMT, you can't just make it go away.

Straw man :)
Run heaven at 720p, why are you so reluctant?

Back
Top Bottom