• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen "2" ?

Caporegime
Bulldozer? Bulldozer was a heap of ####, Intel's IPC was higher across the board, no ambiguity about that and its right to blatantly say with that "Intel has higher IPC" its true.

Ryzen is not Bulldozer, we are talking about Ryzen and Ryzen has SMT, you can't just make it go away.

Okay.

You say IPC is IPC.

If an application maxed out all 6 cores on the 8700K and the Ryzen 1600 (At the end of the day, this is a scenario that does happen in the real world. You can't force software to use more threads than it's capable of doing). But *didn't* to go the 7th thread onwards. At the same clock, is Ryzen performing the same as the 8700K?

Caporegime
Okay.

You say IPC is IPC.

If an application maxed out all 6 cores on the 8700K and the Ryzen 1600 (At the end of the day, this is a scenario that does happen in the real world. You can't force software to use more threads than it's capable of doing). But *didn't* to go the 7th thread onwards. At the same clock, is Ryzen performing the same as the 8700K?

That's a loaded question, it doesn't, you example uses all 12 threads. You're re-framing the argument to suit your desired outcome.

The fact is Ryzen has SMT, that SMT gives it the performance to equal Coffeelake IPC, that's not a reason to disqualify SMT. Its a will on your part, a desire, but you don't get to do that.

Caporegime
That's a loaded question, it doesn't, your example uses all 12 threads.

It's a loaded question I'll admit. But that doesn't make it invalid. You can't pretend those scenarios don't exist, it's a statistical fallacy to suggest every CPU intensive application is now capable of using more than 6 threads (Which is what you're doing by dismissing my question)

I'm not dismissing anything though, SMT's a good thing, I've said nothing contrary to that. But there's no "use all threads" button in software.

As far as Ryzen goes I put my money where my mouth was over half a year ago. But I'm not going to pretend it's better than it is.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's a loaded question I'll admit. But that doesn't make it invalid. You can't pretend those scenarios don't exist, it's a statistical fallacy to suggest every CPU intensive application is now capable of using more than 6 threads (Which is what you're doing by dismissing my question)

It doesn't mater because its nothing to do with the arguments i made.

Cinedbench uses all the threads that it has available, 6 core 12 threads scoring about 1350 Points at 4Ghz, which it does, 8700K at 5Ghz scores about 1700, is a 26% difference in points vs a 25% difference in clock speed, that makes them about the same performance per threads per clock, yes if you switch SMT off on both the 8700K will score about 8% higher, that does not mean SMT on Ryzen should be disqualified, it is what it is.

Soldato
It doesn't mater because its nothing to do with the arguments i made.

Cinedbench uses all the threads that it has available, 6 core 12 threads scoring about 1350 Points at 4Ghz, which it does, 8700K at 5Ghz scores about 1700, is a 26% difference in points vs a 25% difference in clock speed, that makes them about the same performance per threads per clock, yes if you switch SMT off on both the 8700K will score about 8% higher, that does not mean SMT on Ryzen should be disqualified, it is what it is.

Score does not scale with frequency. What does your 1600 score in CB on single core?

Caporegime
Score does not scale with frequency. What does your 1600 score in CB on single core?

Cinebench is pretty good at scaling, with SMT's advantage, I don't exactly doubt the results to a massive degree (Although I'd still expect Coffeelake to be ahead by a few percent), albeit to talk about IPC and not actually be comparing them at the same clock speed is a bit iffy.

Single core CB, obviously the Coffeelake will be ahead.

Same clock 12 threads versus 12 threads. Why don't you both run that? To me it doesn't change things. Coffeelake's still the better gamer of the two.

Soldato
Cinebench is pretty good at scaling, with SMT's advantage, I don't exactly doubt the results to a massive degree, albeit to talk about IPC and not actually be comparing them at the same clock speed is a bit iffy.
Single core CB, obviously the Coffeelake will be ahead.

Same clock 12 threads versus 12 threads. Why don't you both run that?

This is what I'm trying to achieve, remove intel's clockspeed advantage and lets see how it fares at 3.9ghz or whatever. Toms hardware shown that above 4.8ghz coffeelake no longer scales linearly in CB.

Caporegime
To be honest, Cinebench single core for Ryzen's closer to Skylake than it is Haswell. It's actually not a bad showing for it (Hence I had no issue buying a 1700 with the intention to replace it to AMD's successor)

Caporegime
I'm asking for your single and multi core scores lol. Give me a sec i need to reboot to downgrade my CPU speeds.
Any chance of a unigene heaven bench at 720p?
Given how Pascal GPU boost 3 behaves that's tricky, its impossible to nail it down to a set and constant speed so you can't get apples for apples comparisons.
Single threaded performance Coffeelake is faster, we know that.

Soldato
Given how Pascal GPU boost 3 behaves that's tricky, its impossible to nail it down to a set and constant speed so you can't get apples for apples comparisons.

A minor difference in GPU clockspeed from the same chip wont make much of a difference in all fairness.

Done

So no, ryzen does not have coffeelake IPC. Even with SMT being better than HT
Its close in multi but behind in single.

Back
Top Bottom