Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Don't know about Virgin, but Sky don't always come back with a super offer. I negotiated them down when I first contacted them, but I didn't think it was low enough, so I told them I was leaving after being a customer for 12 years... didn't get a call back, now moved to Virgin.

Soldato
Had Virgin fitted a while back. They have cabled the router next to the v6 TiVo which is fine but I am thinking of moving the router upstairs so i can run Ethernet rather than wireless.

Anyone got any experience with moving the router?

Or should I just go the power line route?

Soldato
Had Virgin fitted a while back. They have cabled the router next to the v6 TiVo which is fine but I am thinking of moving the router upstairs so i can run Ethernet rather than wireless.

Anyone got any experience with moving the router?

Or should I just go the power line route?

You'll need to run a cable extension from the current point so might as well leave it as is and either run a Ethernet cable upstairs or try poweline adaptors.

Associate
Just been offered a retention deal. As want ditch TV and home phone. Gone self-employed and need to cut back everything for 12 months.

Broadband 50mb = £26.50 (12 month contract)

How does this sound?

UPDATE:

Put a cancellation request in for 30-day cut off.

5 days into cancellation had called every day but told them to busy to talk. Today had a chat.

Offered me

200mb BB
Talk weekends phone
Basic TV

£27 a month

Associate
virgin are pushing out a new firmware for the hub 3 anyone got it yet ? new version is 9.1.116.603, it seems promising regarding the latency issue according to some posts in WM gaming support section (the latency thread) much improved BMQ graphs adds a few more features to the wifi too

Associate
They've also boosted my speed at 1am from 330 to 400 down as well, same 21 up though.

Downloading from steam at 47.4MB/s :D

Primary Downstream Service Flow
SFID 315773
Max Traffic Rate 402510000
Max Traffic Burst 42600
Min Traffic Rate 0

Primary Upstream Service Flow
SFID 315772
Max Traffic Rate 22010000
Max Traffic Burst 42600
Min Traffic Rate 0
Max Concatenated Burst 16320
Scheduling Type BestEffort

I can also report a much better graph after 1am as it's been like this since the day I installed the SH3 over a year ago, the latency is still around the same on average of 15ms and even before this update I had no issues streaming at 18Mbps to YouTube and playing games like the Division at the same time.

It is nice to see this graph back to where the SH1 was.

036bfe7b1022b7be3897d600f011122cae474fa9-14-02-2018.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Permabanned
Went to bed last night and noticed the green light was flashing on the SH3 (which is Modem Only mode). Logged into the router and saw this.

Woke up this morning and check the BBQ meter and was greeted with this lovely sight.

It's been 2 years but FINALLY VirginMedia has released a firmware that fixes this long standing issue. I did not think this would get sorted till a SH4 so I'm pleasantly surprised.

Soldato
i've just been put on the 350 meg package...lovely and fast. Getting a solid 30-35meg download speed on PS4 and pings in the low 20's so really no complaints.

I'm paying 57 a month for 350meg / 'large tv' (including all bt sport hd channels) and the phone line (which i never use.

Soldato
Getting all excited, our street was dug up and installed a few weeks ago, cabinets are in and yesterday saw a man sat at one on his wee stool terminating the cabling. Still think it is a couple of months away though before I can get away from BT.

Permabanned
If you have the SH3 in modem mode use 192.168.100.1 to log into the router instead of the normal 192.168.0.1 for router mode.

The old software version was 9.1.116V the new one is 9.1.116.603

I have also noticed that some of the photo intensive sites that I frequent seem to be loading faster. Hopefully that is not just the psychosomatic side affect of finally getting rid of this bug. If I'd know it was coming I would done some stopwatch tests.

Soldato
Getting all excited, our street was dug up and installed a few weeks ago, cabinets are in and yesterday saw a man sat at one on his wee stool terminating the cabling. Still think it is a couple of months away though before I can get away from BT.

Hope not. VM installs should be fibre to the home now so there isn't really anything to terminate in the cab. Maybe he was just installing headers or something?

Back
Top Bottom