Best solution for slippery decking

Associate
Hi all,

A year ago, we had some decking installed which at first was great. Now a year on we're finding that when it rains (which is all of the time) it is lethal underfoot! I started looking at decking mats but these are thick, rubber mats with holes in and are a bit industrial for my liking. As an alternative I found some grit sheets and tape here (https://www.firstmats.co.uk/collections/floor-grip-and-safety) which I thought might be a bit more discreet but I wondered if anyone else had troubles with slippery decking and how you got around it. Is the grit tape suitable for wood or is there something better I can use?

Soldato
slipperiness we had was down to slime/organic stuff on the decking , and it needed a good scrub with some disinfectant/anti-bacterial

Soldato
Well maintained decking shouldn't be slippery, give it a proper clean and it should resolve it. I used to wash it with antibacterial solution a couple of times per year and give it a good scrub.

I also found that installing the decking with the grooves pointing down and the flat side up was better from a slip resistance point of view, greater surface area in contact with the foot and water shouldn't be an issue as long as it's been installed properly.

Soldato
I also found that installing the decking with the grooves pointing down and the flat side up was better
had not appreciated that is the way they are meant to be ... so ours were wrong - stupid builders
multiple sources with info like
However, every decking timber manufacturer will tell you: the proper way to install a board is ridge side down. The ridges, they say, were designed to let air circulate underneath the boards. This, according to them, prevents the buildup of moisture and, consequently, of mould. The ridges are not there to keep you from slipping and sliding around your deck. Nor are they intended to make your deck look nice. They are there as a structural feature to improve its longevity.

The answer is twofold.
1) it needs to be clean, as said algae etc make it slippy when wet
2) it needs to be treated so it doesn't absorb water, this means it dries faster when it gets wet, and helps to prevent slippy stuff growing

The biggest factor in it getting slippy is location. The more direct sunlight the less will grow on them

patios can be just as slippy. I have some slabs at the back of my house that are like ice when wet. Same issue, almost zero sun from Nov-March. They need a good scrub down in the summer just the same as the decking needs some loving.

Associate
Maintenance and location of the decking is the biggest factors here.

I have groove side up and it's never been slippery aside from when it's frozen over. It is south facing though and I do jet wash it and top up with decking oil maybe every 12-18 months.

Associate
..... the link explains why. ...
Because the grooves collect water/algae which makes the timber rot quicker and the algae build up can make it more slippery.

Fair enough, but people still seem to prefer the look of grooved boards regardless of whether it's more slippy/rotting. Hence why a huge proportion of decks that I see have groove side up.

Back
Top Bottom