Which Visual Studio version?

Soldato
Was going to mess around with Unreal engine and seems the engine is optimised for VS 2013, so in your opinion, do you think 2015 or 2017 editions offer much more than 2013?

I am sure Unreal will work with 15 or 17 with some tweaks(maybe not though) to config files but waste of time installing and setting up 15 or 17 if 13 is still a decent edition.

So what's new in 15 or 17?

Associate
As a games development student I find VS 2013 is the better version due to it being the more stable build and the version best preferred in the industry. 2015 is buggy and 2017 has literally just came out so I would stay way clear from it.

Unreal works flawlessly with VS 2013.

Associate
Visual Studio 2017 (released yesterday) allows you to develop using Unreal 4 straight out the box - https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vc...e-development-workload-in-visual-studio-2017/

DX-desktop.png

Associate
I work with Unreal Engine in my day job for C++ ;). VS 2017 is fine. I am still on 2015 until Visual Assist updates for 2017. It has "better intellisense" and some nice other features. Makes my job a hell of a lot easier and quicker. Never had a problem with VS2015 for it. No bugs at all.

Why do you say optimised for 2013? How so? You can always tweak your BuildConfiguration.XML file to fit you, and enable or disable Unity builds depending upon project size. Are you on about build speed, compiler optimisations, or what?

The standard C++ install of VS 2017 is fine, it's the MSVCC that is important. I compiled fine with that. As I said above though, still using the Visual Assist tool for productivity and only the 2017 release candidates are currently supported by that, instead of the actual release.

Last edited:
Associate
What do I do? Programming things, mostly in C++. From networking, AI, UI, physics, to anything really. It's remote full time work, so nothing in Leeds. Why do you ask?

Visual Assist updated today for 2017, so time to give 2017 a proper go with UE. One thing I have definitely noticed with VS 2017 is it starts up faster :p.

Soldato
Not 100% sure if 2017 is fully supported yet, but it won't hurt to try.

VS 2015 is the 'current' version with UE 4.15.....although that it still only on 4.15.0 so you may want to stick with 4.14.3 unless there's something in particular you want in the 4.15 feature set.

Soldato
OP
So mid_gen I take it you work with UE. What kind of stuff do you make, is it any good for apps. I don't expect to do much, probably just mess with demos as anything serious is a lot of work and skill.

Soldato
So mid_gen I take it you work with UE. What kind of stuff do you make, is it any good for apps. I don't expect to do much, probably just mess with demos as anything serious is a lot of work and skill.

Procedural generation, AI, general game stuff.

If you primarily want to develop mobile apps, Unity is the better choice. Unreal is fairly heavyweight, doesn't have particularly good 2D features, and can be pretty hard to get mobile executable sizes down.

If you want to make great looking games for most platforms in the industry standard language (C++) Unreal is great though.

Associate
I've got vs2017 but sticking to vs2015 for UE4 (4.15) for a while.

Apparently code compiled with vs2015 compiler is binary compatible with code compiled with the vs2017 compiler.

Man of Honour
I use VS2017 on both PC and Mac. Must say I'm really impressed with VS2017 on Mac, it's great and I've actually replaced Xcode with it.

I used VS6 for aaaaages as it's what I learned to code with in Uni (2004-2007), and I think it wasn't until 2010 when I was writing frameworks for my job that I made the switch to the current version at the time, 2011 I think? Man, that blew my mind haha. Intellisense had been improved so much that I realised that I barely had to know how to code anymore and just use that :p (slight exaggeration obviously)

Soldato
Hi Methanoid,

Let me know what your questions are. I have written quite a few thousand lines of code using VS so know it pretty well.

Cliff

I didnt forget but was trying (and largely) succeeding in fixing my own problems... Now I need to put my code into a report, I have one small issue.. Is there a way to force VS to use only a certain sized Window and wrap lines after a certain point...

eg. I have some code I want to paste into report but if the VS code is over say 60 characters then it mucks up the nice formatting I had. I open the code in Notepad++ and export as HTML which keeps the nice colours and I can paste that into Google Docs where I am writing my reports.

So basically, a hard margin on the right hand side in VS???

EDIT: Found something that sorta does it - https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=PaulHarrington.EditorGuidelines

I can make sure I don't go past where I want to be now

Last edited:
Associate
If it is worth a couple of hundred pounds a year to you it is one of the features in ReSharper by Jet Brians, though I only used a trial a long while ago for a specific task and it didn't do what I hoped it would.

Other than that you would have to write some code that inserts " _"+ cvCrLF at the correct point in every line after you have copied it

Soldato
If it is worth a couple of hundred pounds a year to you it is one of the features in ReSharper by Jet Brians, though I only used a trial a long while ago for a specific task and it didn't do what I hoped it would.

Other than that you would have to write some code that inserts " _"+ cvCrLF at the correct point in every line after you have copied it

I did find that answer... and it isn't... I'm just finishing a University project and writing the report to go with... Wanted to bring some code into report with formatting etc. Got it sorted now. Now farting around with wondering why VS C++ compiled code doesn't work on a machine where I installed the Visual C++ Redistr libraries... Probably just need a reboot :)

Back
Top Bottom