AKG K701/2, K712 and Beyerdynamic DT990 gaming comparison.

Soldato
OP
@EsaT thanks for the info it's helpful, I think I would be best with an external amp or dedicated soundcard
Don't think any sound card has headphone output at level of Objective2, which was designed for almost any headphone.
But AKGs (or 250 ohm Beyers) certainly don't need that level output.
Also sound card gives binaural simulation essential for good gaming immersion without needing to rely on what ever motherboard comes with or game itself.
(or then buying Dolby Atmos for Headphones in Win10)

Asus has also changed their sound cards to that Sonic Studio which comes with motherbaord, but can't really find good comparisons for it.
But that "Sonic Radar" is certainly PR BS. Even if headphones are garbage with bad directionality need to look some graphical overlay with delay from it would give opponent major advantage.

Soldato
You mean the v-moda boompro + senn combo?

For Senns you need adapter tho, or modding it, right? coz of the lock system?

I'll just get a table microphone to go with my AKG. I still think its better, at least if you wanna use speakers instead you dont need to have your headphones around your neck

nah, for the senns/ones with the lock, there's a cheaper random rainforest make. "Ketdirect". Done me fine so far (6 months). 2.5mm with the lock senn/ath/etc use.

Associate
Been looking for some new gaming headphones for a while now and had shortlisted AKG, Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic so this thread has been very informative - thank you

One thing I am interested to know though is what you used to drive the headphones during your testing?

Soldato
OP
One thing I am interested to know though is what you used to drive the headphones during your testing?
Objective2, or actually two of those for convenient side by side comparison.
(no need to swap connectors and try to match volume constantly)
Because some years ago when looking for way to connect two headphones to PC there just wasn't any real competition in technically good headphone amplifiers without paying arm and leg for what should be technically simple device.
Not that even expensive price always gets rid of lame output impedances and such...
So bought two DIY kits.

Sennheisers would actually have little more bass with some output impedance.
But using non-neutrally driven result isn't good for comparison and newer good sound cards have very low output impedances anyway.

Associate
I'm currently running with a Sound Blaster AE-5, which for the most part I am happy with, certainly for the time being.

If I was to go for something like the AKG702's do you think I would get the best out of these running them with 5.1 surround, or using Direct HP (stereo)?

My only gripe with the card is that Direct HP is the only way to set the headphones to stero but as a result this disables everything, for example the equalizer :(

Associate
I've got the ae5
I'm currently running with a Sound Blaster AE-5, which for the most part I am happy with, certainly for the time being.

If I was to go for something like the AKG702's do you think I would get the best out of these running them with 5.1 surround, or using Direct HP (stereo)?

My only gripe with the card is that Direct HP is the only way to set the headphones to stero but as a result this disables everything, for example the equalizer :(

I've got the ae5 and the akg712's and the answer is it depends on the source. For pure unfiltered music direct, but for movies and games which output 5.1 I find the surround set to 75% far superior for immersion.

If you want stereo while not running direct just disable the surround engine but keep the crystalizer/base boost according to taste.

Soldato
OP

K701/702 are among absolute top headphones for gaming with binaural sound.
If game itself has good sound engine you could pretty much locate other player walking inside smoke (using it as cover for getting close) well enough for decent chances to hit him by "spraying" that direction.

Disabling Surround and any unwanted effects and at the latest switching Windows Playback configuration to 2.0/stereo gives stereo playback.
If Windows audio stack doesn't do own "upmixing" you could leave Windows Playback setting configuration to 5.1.

Soldato
K701/702 are among absolute top headphones for gaming with binaural sound.

How would these stack up against a a pair of Sennheiser GSP 500s?

I'm assuming that a pair of 702s and a mod mic would be the better option (I plan on running them for the time being off the on-baord audio from a Asus Crosshair VI).

Soldato
OP
How would these stack up against a a pair of Sennheiser GSP 500s?

I'm assuming that a pair of 702s and a mod mic would be the better option (I plan on running them for the time being off the on-baord audio from a Asus Crosshair VI).
As closed design those have likely not much of chances for even half the sound stage of DT990.
And that's generous estimate.
For standard closed design gaming trinket its this: Head in bucket under water.
Superlux HD-330 whose sound stage is step below DT990 sounds like top level headphone compared to typical cheap closed stuff.
So even if directionality works you won't get much depth/distance feeling.

Asus has its Sonic Studio which should have some kind binaural simulation.
Just haven't found really good comparisons videos.
Though I guess it should avoid Dolby Headphones strong echo.

Soldato
GSP 500 is open backed, the GSP 600 is closed.

I have owned K712's and whilst they are a good all rounder, the top line Sennheiser headsets are on a par for gaming in my opinion.

At least with the top level Senn headsets, they are easy to drive whilst the AKG's do need some power to make them shine.

Plus the AKG's have some annoying and cheap feeling parts. The elastic can snap and they do creak somewhat.

I sold mine after buying some 363D's as they where in a whisker of each other for gaming audio and the 363's have their own USB gaming DAC so I can swop them out for my music setup really easily just by unplugging them.

If you want a good gaming and music all rounder and have a decent DAC / amp get the K712's. If it is just for gaming and you have a half decent DAC / amp or soundcard get the Senns. Less cables less fuss.

Soldato
They would mainly be for gaming (BF1), with maybe a bit of music on the side.

Plus the AKG's have some annoying and cheap feeling parts. The elastic can snap and they do creak somewhat.

I was slightly concerned by that, I have a couple of pairs of headphone break where the overhead band meet the ear cups and don't want to buy an expensive pair only to have the break after a couple of months *cough TurtleBeach cough*. I was looking at a pair of DT990s as they have the a similar headband system to my current QH-90s, but i'm guessing i would need some better way of driving them than the motherboard's onboard amp.

Soldato
OP
I was slightly concerned by that, I have a couple of pairs of headphone break where the overhead band meet the ear cups and don't want to buy an expensive pair only to have the break after a couple of months *cough TurtleBeach cough*. I was looking at a pair of DT990s as they have the a similar headband system to my current QH-90s, but i'm guessing i would need some better way of driving them than the motherboard's onboard amp.
If having bigger head automatic adjustment of AKG can certainly stress those elastic straps/rubber strands.
Though overall design is better than in Sennheiser HD5xx serie.

Beyerdynamic again scores really high with that simple and robust design with lots of adjustment range.
Which also keeps cups well positioned, if having smaller and downward narrowing head, in which situation AKGs might try to slip down.
Just like Superlux HD-330/660 those Takstar made QH90s seem to have little smaller headband than Beyers:
https://youtu.be/wyXiW77qve0?t=4m44s
QH1339 is custom coloured MMX300 which is DT770+mic.

250 ohm Beyers are actually easier to drive than AKGs.
While they need about same amount of power they draw lot less current lowering stress on output.
Something like 30% volume setting already gives good volume.
I once tried that with very basic motherboard with ALC892.

Associate
I have just got a pair of AKG 702s and coming from a wireless Corsair H2100 I am very impressed, only tried them for about an hour or two, some music and games, R6 Siege, the sound is amazing, easy to pick up enemy locations and ambient sound like radios/steam etc which I had never heard before. Running the 702 on my mobo am4 crosshair 6 Hero and seems to be fine and loud enough for me. Well chuffed

V F

V F

Soldato
I have just got a pair of AKG 702s and coming from a wireless Corsair H2100 I am very impressed, only tried them for about an hour or two, some music and games, R6 Siege, the sound is amazing, easy to pick up enemy locations and ambient sound like radios/steam etc which I had never heard before. Running the 702 on my mobo am4 crosshair 6 Hero and seems to be fine and loud enough for me. Well chuffed

It is funny how I’ve read so many people across many forums how they don’t like their sound signature. I thought they’re fantastic. As it seems most people are bass thundering junkies.

The other great thing about them, they’re so light you don’t really become aware they’re on your head. Sometimes they remind me of the days being a child wearing earmuffs during the winter.

Soldato
OP
It is funny how I’ve read so many people across many forums how they don’t like their sound signature. I thought they’re fantastic. As it seems most people are bass thundering junkies.

The other great thing about them, they’re so light you don’t really become aware they’re on your head. Sometimes they remind me of the days being a child wearing earmuffs during the winter.
I guess most consumer stuff is seriously bass heavy with bad everything else.
So when headphones have actual mids and treble people think bass is bad.
I mean some say even DT770 isn't bass strong!

Any headphone you don't keep on head even when not listening anything lacks comfort...:p

V F

V F

Soldato
Mmmm! That bass. Especially feeling that bass on the keyboard player.

SonicBoy said:
Blackmore said:
Most of the time, if not always, its the source, record quality I mean.
THX
I'll co-sign this. The bass reproduction is only as good as the production. The 702's won't give you the 'night club' or hip-hop experience because it's not really designed to do that.
If you want an example of 'good' production and a well engineered recording to test the 702's bass quality...

Blackmore said:
Oh boy, I love Rachelle, thanks for posting this. This one is also trilling

K702 are one of a kind and while HD800 are really nice sounding headphones, man, do they have trouble with their midbass? They just cant complete with AKG balance, sorry, especially when it comes down to natural and not so called Sennheiser kind of sound. What I am trying to say, is simply that I dont like feel to obvious, when headphones are telling me how the sound must be, I just like to hear what on the recording, thats all and AKG does it, at least to me.

THX

Back
Top Bottom