First time buy for a car noob (me)

Soldato
OP
I still wouldn't touch the KA. It's a class of car down from the Ibiza (the Ford Fiesta would be the direct comparison). They have their merits, but the Ka is really a tiny city car and even with the best trim levels wont be as refined or practical as something the size of an Ibiza.

Those two Ibizas somewhat show the point. The 1.2 is defaintely the better car, and for those paticular two the equipment levels look spot on. The question is, is the extra 20bhp and 4mpg worth the extra £1000 to you? Whilst this isn't a massive sum of money in the car world it's effectively a 25% increase at this price point and that's really only a decision you can make.

If you are happy spending £5000 and really want that 1.2 TSI engine you might get a bit more for your money looking at the Skoda Fabia? As an example this is the same engine as your 5k Ibiza, a year older, but has done half the miles. With this though you are getting climate control, electric sunroof, parking sensors, and a couple of other bits making it a nicer overall package imo.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201706216630307?

The main downside is simply that that generation fabis is a bit on the ugly side.

Thanks, that gives me quite a bit to go off, I'll check out some of the local Garages on the weekend to see what other options I have. I don't normally consider myself vain, but I don't think I'll be choosing the Fabia :p

+1 for an electric thing given the low mileage and local use.

The thread has moved on to second hand cars, and for the prices we're considering it would be a pretty old electric. Are they still worth it? I've heard that the batteries degrade significantly

Associate
Thanks, that gives me quite a bit to go off, I'll check out some of the local Garages on the weekend to see what other options I have. I don't normally consider myself vain, but I don't think I'll be choosing the Fabia :p

The thread has moved on to second hand cars, and for the prices we're considering it would be a pretty old electric. Are they still worth it? I've heard that the batteries degrade significantly

No personal experience of electric cars however I am very interested in one at the moment so been doing my research, I like you initially had concerns about battery degredation but here are a couple of links for you to read the first about a COrnish Taxi firm running Nissan Leafs and experience negligible degredation. The second is a thread on Speak EV in which the owner of the taxi firm has been answering questions. Haven't quite read it all though yet. Thought you might find it usefull:

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/en...ll-ev-taxi-firm-with-dozen-leafs-on-its-books

https://speakev.com/threads/c-c-taxis-100-000-mile-nissan-leaf-full-battery-included.8804/

Soldato
OP
No personal experience of electric cars however I am very interested in one at the moment so been doing my research, I like you initially had concerns about battery degredation but here are a couple of links for you to read the first about a COrnish Taxi firm running Nissan Leafs and experience negligible degredation. The second is a thread on Speak EV in which the owner of the taxi firm has been answering questions. Haven't quite read it all though yet. Thought you might find it usefull:

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/en...ll-ev-taxi-firm-with-dozen-leafs-on-its-books

https://speakev.com/threads/c-c-taxis-100-000-mile-nissan-leaf-full-battery-included.8804/

Interesting reading, thanks for posting it. They still look a little out of my budget unfortunately, but I'll give serious thought to my next car being electric.

I've been going around local garages to have a look at some of the car models mentioned here in person, and I think that the Ibiza is the way to go. Thanks all!

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
I got my wife a 2011 yaris for 3k, the 1.3 is a peppy little car, and its got the basic mod cons like Electric windows,AC. It drives well, and has enough go for the motorway etc. If all you need is a small run about, i doubt even a new one is going to offer a significantly better driving experience than something a few years old, so its better to save your money.

Associate
I got my wife a 2011 yaris for 3k, the 1.3 is a peppy little car, and its got the basic mod cons like Electric windows,AC. It drives well, and has enough go for the motorway etc. If all you need is a small run about, i doubt even a new one is going to offer a significantly better driving experience than something a few years old, so its better to save your money.

Coincidentally our current car is a 2011 Yaris as you describe. No real complaints about it but considering it's currently drinking down £40 per week, that's £160 a month the significantly bette Leaf appears to me based on admittedly fag packet maths to be competitive monthly cost.

Associate
From personal experience. Depending on age if you can get a free insurance deal that's going to save you £2-3k then that will offset the depreciation on a new car. If not then don't do it as its expensive. For new drivers the actual car value has a big impact on the insurance premium as well as the car itself. Get a personal loan and buy something a few years old that's already depreciated .

Associate
That a repaired write off? You can get loads of Mazda 2 or 3s for this budget and they'd be half decent cars to own if in good nick.

That one is yea, its got the new Category S flag along the top (same as the old Cat C) given how new it is it must have been fairly decent damage to get to that level.

It's a good car suggestion, just not that paticular one :p

Man of Honour
https://www.whatcar.com/car-leasing...-hatchback/13-i-vtec-ex-5dr/2834563/35674459/

Brand new Honda Jazz, 1.3 I-VTEC EX 5dr £3575.12 in total for two year lease so should be hassle free. 8k miles per year should be plenty based on the short commute. Comes with reverse parking camera and front/back sensors, breakdown cover, neither fast nor massively underpowered, 5* NCAP rating and a bunch of driver aids so should be easy enough to handle for a newbie. I think you will struggle to find much better for under £3600, then with two years experience under your belt you could look at other options. You set of budget of £300/month, this comes in at under half that :)

Yes you could spend a bit less over 2 years by buying a used car and then selling but the saving isn't going to be astronomical, you also don't get a shiny 18 plate with shiny things inside and also run the risk of having to pay to fix it if it goes wrong. Yes, you could get something better than a Jazz but as a first car do you really need that, plus potentially bigger bills and bigger insurance costs.

Last edited:
Soldato
How about a seat mi/Skoda citigo/vw up

Cheap to buy and insure, cheap to run. Park them anywhere as they are small (but feel bigger on the inside)

Back
Top Bottom