**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Soldato
I'm normally one for nitpicking and I do think the XL screen issues are massively overblown. Looks great to me.

Agreed. The screen does have a slight blue fade when turned from side to side. It also shows dark images in video in my view badly at night. But these are minor issues, I would get the XL 2 over the 2 every time. Great phone

Soldato
Screen is perfectly fine under the right condition. However, as soon as it's dark, and the brightness drops, you get terrible black crush (loss of detail in black scenes) and smearing (black UI elements have long trails).

pic.twitter.com/P0Pr60BdZd

So while the screen is adequate, it just isn't as good as the smaller Pixel 2. There's no fix because it's just not as well designed as the stuff Samsung make (the Pixel 2 XL screen is made by LG)

Soldato
Screen is perfectly fine under the right condition. However, as soon as it's dark, and the brightness drops, you get terrible black crush (loss of detail in black scenes) and smearing (black UI elements have long trails).

So while the screen is adequate, it just isn't as good as the smaller Pixel 2. There's no fix because it's just not as well designed as the stuff Samsung make (the Pixel 2 XL screen is made by LG)

Either I am really blind or my screen just doesn't have that black crush/smearing, Theres a little blue tint at certain angles but nothing as bad as other oled screens I've had before with like a rainbow effect at certain angles.

Bare in mind I use the phone at 50% brightness with adaptive brightness on like I always have done.

The most annoying thing for me though is the trash headphone adapter that constantly cuts out, cuts to playing out of the speakers etc(no i will not change to Bluetooth), How that got past QC is beyond me, Actually do companies even test products anymore before selling them?

Soldato
Either I am really blind or my screen just doesn't have that black crush/smearing, Theres a little blue tint at certain angles but nothing as bad as other oled screens I've had before with like a rainbow effect at certain angles.

Bare in mind I use the phone at 50% brightness with adaptive brightness on like I always have done.

The most annoying thing for me though is the trash headphone adapter that constantly cuts out, cuts to playing out of the speakers etc(no i will not change to Bluetooth), How that got past QC is beyond me, Actually do companies even test products anymore before selling them?

Perhaps I have a faulty unit then - that would be really good news for me as it's my only gripe with the phone. I otherwise love it

Associate
Just noticed that Carphone warehouse are running discounts again.
I couldn't resist and ordered a 128gb black and white pixel2 xl for £729 (719 if topcashback works) to collect in store tomorrow :)

Last edited:
Soldato

Ok the bad news, I don't get quite that but I do get that (after thinking I don't). For me the issue appears to be on video images as opposed to static images and worse with night light on and also in low light conditions (just reading light on)

It seems related to the blur the phone gets when you scroll the screen.

For others go into a video in face book, then you get the scrollable videos. The very black ones i believe will have this issue. Maybe not to such an extent but it's there. Not a game changer imho but I'll keep an eye on it.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I notice the black crush more than anything on the screen, when I'm watching a YouTube video and you get this super blocky black area where it just kills the shadow detail.

Associate
One thing I've come to appreciate is I'm glad I got the non xl. Given my picky nature all these screen issues would have annoyed me.

Associate

I get this as well. It's a fairly minor issue to me all in all, but it is there.

The screen generally looks good to me though despite this and the slightly sub-par viewing angles. I do find a lot of the supposed issues overblown. At the end of the day, if screen quality is the most important attribute to you, then you should probably go with a Samsung, but I prefer the speed and polish of the Vanilla Android UI as well as the quick updates and the camera is superb.

I'm sure my audio through the adapter cuts out occasionally too for a split second, but I wasn't sure if the adapter was to blame or the app I was using (Amazon music at the time when I noticed it).

Back
Top Bottom