How many Focus ST owners on here

Soldato
Traction is definitely an issue in the wet with my mk3 but other than making sure you've decent tyres on the front, half a sensible right foot and turn the esp off (well into "sport") there isn't much you can do without spending money on a lsd.

I don't find it any issue in the dry at all though, only when it's particularly cold and / or wet. It's also nothing like bad enough to spoil my enjoyment of the car, though sorting out a decent diff would probably be the first thing i'd do to it if I was going to spend money on it.

Associate
I never find there to be an issue with traction in my ST225. Yeah you can get under-steer if you drive it like an idiot as I'm sure you can in most cars, its got good enough balance to give some nice yet very controllable over-steer and the suspension is standard, the only mod is a nice Mountune exhaust which gives it some nice pops & bangs when wanted, but also keeps the nice subtle(ish) sound of the engine when not pushing it to growl. I might look at getting more power out of it, but currently given the state of the Oxfordshire roads it really doesn't seem worthwhile just yet, might consider something when I've done a few track days in it...

Soldato
To be honest I never found traction to be much of an issue either but I don't drive it in poor weather conditions very often and I don't really do aggressive launches either.

Soldato
Didnt get them 9 points in a Focus ST as they like to drive them selves into ditches with all that torque steer and wheel spin. :p

300bhp? Behave more like 400 which I can use all of when it rains unlike an ST which prob can only put 100 down like your name says before its off into a ditch.

Soldato
No torque steer in my MK2 or issues with traction. Standard car so maybe modified ones are different due torque limiter being removed in first and second?

I have crappy tyres too. Rather not lose traction incase a driveshaft snaps.

Associate
How do you guys find driving these cars?

I have had my ST-3 for around 2.5 years and as a daily driver its fine other than the horrific clutch and uncomfortable seats. Put your foot down and its almost dangerous the lack of grip/traction. In all conditions, the wheels spin all the time with even the slightest hint of boost. I have the stock tyres not sure what they are. I do not intend on keeping the car but compared to the fast fords i have had in the past (from a driving perspective) i have been disappointed with this one. Its saving grace has been the level of tech that came with the ST-3. I will never have a car without Xenon's, heated seats or a reversing camera again.

Just left feeling a bit butt hurt after putting the best part of £15k into it.

Stock tyres could be the issue, 3 years old and probably not much tread left on them

Soldato
So I installed the new boost solenoid.
The install was fiddly and took a while as I don't think that area of the car has ever been touched. Everything seems as original from the day it left factory.

It's a genuine item which which I think is the 6th revision of it. Car does seem to pick up much quicker now and in 3rd above it is overboosting like it should.

I wanted to install recirc valve I bought I didn't have a Allen key bit to use on the hex screws. Well I did but it would have been easier to cut an Allen key in size. So I'll probably get cp to do it when I visit them.

Also removed the mudflaps which were aftermarket on the car. Looks much better. Had a bit of a panic as my indicators, hazards, wipers stopped working. A bit of googling helped with diagnosing the issue to be a loose relay plug underneath the fusebox in the car. It probably became loose as I removed the wiring for the subs and amps that were installed some point in the car.

Also am I right in saying there should be s resonator on the standard exhaust? Mine doesn't have one.

Soldato
Yeah there should be a midbox just in front of the rear axel. It is quite common to be replaced with a pipe.

The recirc is a PITA to fit, that is why I still haven't got around to doing mine yet. :o

Soldato
I'll attempt it again if I get time. I just don't have a Allen key that size to cut otherwise I would have been ok. It's a very awkward one to do I'll give it that.

Back
Top Bottom