Dirt bikes for the street?

Soldato
I really like dirt bikes, been thinking about getting a road version to use it for the commute to work which is about 18 miles each way, mostly rural roads with a short stretch of the A1.

My knowledge on these bikes is lacking though. It would need to be bigger than a 125c, something that will comfortably do 80 at least, ideally something that will get to 80 relatively quickly then anything over is a bonus.

Edit; looking at some specs seems that might be ambitious but if it'll do 80 that'll do.

However probably nothing larger then about a 400 it's gotta be light, I would want to be able to do some off road drop it, pick it up and go.

The only ones I can think of is a Yamaha WR250R, Suzuki DRZ400, or Honda CRF250L the latter of which seem to be a newer bike. Although the Honda seems to be down on HP and heavier than the Yamaha.

Anything else out there in this category?

Man of Honour
Check out supermotos you get the dirt bike styling but they'll actually be useable and much more suited to road riding.
Something like a Husky 701 or KTM 690.

The main problem is going to be if you buy one then be prepared to get some security rivaling Fort Knox as they're scum magnets.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
A proper supermoto will be expensive to run as a commuter, like tom said get something like a robust drz or 690 or 701.

Or check out SWM they use husky engines and some other parts from older models. You're getting a husky under a different badge for less.

Man of Honour
DRZ400 will suit you well. Bulletproof motor with tuning potential, easily picked up if dropped, solid construction and loads of parts availability therefore reasonably cheap to maintain.

I had a DRZ400SM and I often think of getting another. I loved it. Although I bought it brand new from the dealer for a smidge over £3k. 10 years later they’re still over £3k!

Associate
Definitely check out the 690 or 701 (test ride if possible.)

I've been commuting on my 701 for nearly 2 years now, and I still absolutely love it. Weight wise, mines around the 140KG mark now with various mods. As tom e mentioned, you def need a lot of security. Mines been checked out a few times, but luckily, not been stolen yet(!)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

1. Do you own a hoody?
  2. Can you wheelie for at least 50ft?
  3. Is the exhaust louder than God?
  4. Do you have zero regard for road rules?
If yes, you are now halfway there to being a chav :D

Seriously though... I wouldn't, they seem to attract the wrong sort of attention if ridden on the road.

Associate
  1. Do you own a hoody?
  2. Can you wheelie for at least 50ft?
  3. Is the exhaust louder than God?
  4. Do you have zero regard for road rules?
If yes, you are now halfway there to being a chav :D

Seriously though... I wouldn't, they seem to attract the wrong sort of attention if ridden on the road.

Isn't that just every gixxer and r6 rider?? Lol

Soldato
You don't want a proper dirt bike for the street, mine needs an oil change every 10 hours and rebuild every 75.

As above, DRZ400 would do you, wouldn't want anything smaller due to maintenance schedules.

Soldato
I would still love one as a second bike. They are so much fun to ride.

I've got £5k on the side at home from insurance due to losing my Golf Gti. I need a car, but that money would buy me a week intensive training, a second hand 2017 Duke 390 and leave me a grand towards gear... I am so tempted but the wife would kill me.

I'll be getting one either way though, heard nothing but great things about them and for my 18-mile commute it would be great. Not fast enough i'll kill myself by quick enough to have a little fun on it and stay safe on the dual carriageways.

Shame it's too big for a CBT licence.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

You can kill yourself on a 125, if you aren’t careful. It’s just easier on a bigger bike :p

Back
Top Bottom