Quick kettle plug question

Permabanned
Hi all, just a very quick question to do with kettle plugs. I am looking to buy a longer one to route around the back of some of my furniture, but I didn't know if there was specific ones to look out for, or are all UK Kettle plugs the same spec? I have a 1300w EVGA Supernova G2 so I just wanna make sure there isnt some spec changes with certain plugs that i'm not aware of and I cause some damage since it is power related

Thank you! :)

Soldato
13amp fuse is really to high, even for 1300w PSU.

I ideally you want a 7 amp fuse in the mains plug, or as close to that as possible.

Soldato
They're international standard (International Electrotechnical Commission) IEC plugs. Not UK kettle plugs. The ones usually used on standard electrical equipment are C13. So yes, they're all the same.

Apart from actual kettle plugs which are C15 and are rated for use at 120 degrees and not 70, like a C13 plug is. The C16 female coupler (which is made for the C15) has a little notch in the middle so you can only fit a C15 male coupler to it. Female C14 will take a male C13 and C15 plug.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320#C13/C14_coupler

Soldato
A fair point, it's all about the fuse though, the cable itself can carry a **** ton of current before it starts getting hot, as they are standard cables.
Worst case scenario you'll just pop the fuse if it's too small.

My iron for example is rated at 3.2kw, so I'd imagine the plug has a 13amp fuse.

Associate
I would be looking for a 10A rated IEC cable with a 10A fuse. A 5A will be pushing it if you’re putting that PSU under heavy load.

Although standard fuses are either 3 or 13A these days, a 3A won’t be enough and the IEC connectors and cables are only rated at 10A so stick to that.

Back
Top Bottom