Dual loop or one bigger single loop?

Associate
Hi all,

When adding a watercool GPU (waterblock and extra radiator) to a PC that already has a CPU waterloop, is there any benefit to giving the GPU its own loop rather than adding to the existing CPU loop?

CPU: 8700k @ 4.9ghz running an external Alphacool Eiswand (360mm XT45 on push pull). Will delid next month and try 5.0ghz.

GPU: Zotac 1080 GTX mini overclocked. Aboout to add waterblock, 240mm NexXos XT45 and a dc-lt 3600 pump.

I feel that the Eiswand has plenty in reserve for the current CPU cooling. Will the 240mm radiator look after the GPU cooling well enough on its own or should I try and loop in some of the extra cooling available from the 360 Eiswand?

To be clear, I already have all the parts. Any views welcomed.

Cheers,
Steven_RW

Associate
I personally don't understand why anyone would have separate loops as it just means extra pumps taking up room however I'd say yes, in a separate loop a dual radiator would cool your GPU.

Associate
Seperate loops are pointless ( you basically pay more to get more noise :rolleyes:), if ur afraid pump will fail and your system will burn to the ground, it wont, if the temps are too high it will throttle or shut down, it`s not 1993.

Associate
I agree seperate loops only add more noise. I'm running a Ryzen 1700 overclocked, 2 x GTX1080s, 360 rad and a 240 rad all off one D5. The only reason to run 2 seperate loops these days is if you want different colour coolants, I'd personally replumb it into one loop if you have a spare afternoon :)

Associate
OP
Hi all,

Thanks for the input. I am not sure if anyone looked at what I am currently running for my CPU? It is an Eiswand 360 which is an external radiator with built in 2x 2600rpm DC-LT pumps in series, push pull fans and a reservoir.

Option 1 would be to just add the GPU water-block and the 240mm radiator and let the current 2x DC-LT pumps that are built into the Eiswand take care of all of the pumping. According to Alphacool this should work fine.
Option 2, add the third pump into the current loop circuit along with the 240mm radiator and the GPU block. Extra pumping force to take care of extra complexity and keep reasonable flow. Keeping in mind the DC-LT pumps are hardly that powerful to start with?
Option 3, run a stand alone GPU circuit. (this is where everyone is saying pointless and extra pump noise etc. which I do understand.)

Cheers,
Steven_RW

Soldato
There is however the benifit that when it comes to swapping gpus you can strip your gpu loop and still have a pc that boot off the igpu while your swapping kit.

Associate
the issue you have with the alphacool pumps is they are not very powerful and their gpu blocks especially are restrictive.

I had a eisbear and eiswolf as well as another alphacool gpu block and 3 rads and I couldn't get the two quite large air bubbles I had in my system out in the 5 months or so I used it. Upgraded to a EK d5 pump res combo and got all the air bubbles out within a day.

Associate
OP
I think the point he is making is the basic DC-LT pumps rather than a Alphacool D5 vs any other D5.

I am currently (though maybe naively) believing that my Eiswand doesn't have any bubbles in it. I can move the pc and the whole Eiswand around and so believe from that have all the bubbles out.

SO it will just be about getting the bubbles from the GPU and the extra radiator. Not too complex a system.

I hear what everyone is saying. Is a D5 pump a bit overkill for a simple single 240mm 45mm rad and a gpu block or should I just get one?

Cheers,
Steven RW

Associate
I think the point he is making is the basic DC-LT pumps rather than a Alphacool D5 vs any other D5.

I am currently (though maybe naively) believing that my Eiswand doesn't have any bubbles in it. I can move the pc and the whole Eiswand around and so believe from that have all the bubbles out.

SO it will just be about getting the bubbles from the GPU and the extra radiator. Not too complex a system.

I hear what everyone is saying. Is a D5 pump a bit overkill for a simple single 240mm 45mm rad and a gpu block or should I just get one?

Cheers,
Steven RW

even if you turn down the D5 pump to lowest it should still give you the same if not more flow then the pumps you have listed combined

Soldato
u realise ek nor alphacool does not manufacture pumps ? Ur saying stickers make for a better pump ?

alphacool does VP755 I think its called- reason why their no Eisbaer Extreme will have a D5 pump included... because it doesn't cost them less or more . There are not a lot of factories in china that make water rads or parts and cores are used across multiple vendors- alphacool I believe owns the factor or in 50/50 partnership .

@Steven_RW
A single 120mm ST30 would do the trick cooling a single gtx 1080- what gives you the cooling ability is the fan(s) . Was speaking to Alpahcool Ed about it as they sent my up Eiswolf AIO to use on my Aorus GTX 1080 .

Their rads have the least restriction out of any rads but the GPX block is very restrictive as its pretty much a CPU block design.
If you wanted it on a second loop- just get the Eiswolf GPU AIO kit for it with single 45mm 120 rad - lot cheaper then getting all the parts sep

Or the Eiswand will easily handle all that heat ! though soon alphacool will be swapping out default fans for bequiet! Pure Wing fans as they give better results

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi,

Alphacool doesn't do an AIO for my GPU or a waterblock with an integrated pump. I have a MINI 1080 by Zotac.

I already have the 240mm radiator and I already have corsair 120mm high performance SP PWM fans.

The only GPU block available is the Alphacool M14 block that is passive and doesn't have a pump.

All that leaves is an option for the pump/reservoir combo or whether to just link it all in with the Eiswand.

:)

Steven_RW

Soldato
Hi,

Alphacool doesn't do an AIO for my GPU or a waterblock with an integrated pump. I have a MINI 1080 by Zotac.

I already have the 240mm radiator and I already have corsair 120mm high performance SP PWM fans.

The only GPU block available is the Alphacool M14 block that is passive and doesn't have a pump.

All that leaves is an option for the pump/reservoir combo or whether to just link it all in with the Eiswand.

:)

Steven_RW

link it to the eiswand- try without the extra 240 to be honest - 45mm thick 30 should be fine to handle all of that! if our not happy with temps or sound, add the 240 in .
you'll notice when you add the GPX in that the res level will drop- just top it up

you absolutely sure you cant find GPX Pro/eiswolf models. as i can see them :)

Alphacool Eiswolf GPX Pro - Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 Pro M14

Soldato
also, your eiswand has two DC-LT Pumps!!! even with standard GPX will have enough head pressure, add in the GPX Pro and triple pump should handle extra 240 rad and redundancy !

Permabanned
Single is more than adequate, only reason for two loops now is if your case is big enough and you can make it a show piece.
no .. so what your saying is these p I ss ant 240 rads can cool as well as a 360 or 2x360 ?
and still have no fan noise ? not going to happen .. more cooling = less noise so splitting the load = less noise
and by lowering the temp you can get a better oc at the same time .. with less noise
don't even use a d5 cause theres to much noise from them .. DC12-400 4m head 18w 800lh quiet

Last edited:
Soldato
no .. so what your saying is these p I ss ant 240 rads can cool as well as a 360 or 2x360 ?
and still have no fan noise ? not going to happen .. more cooling = less noise so splitting the load = less noise
and by lowering the temp you can get a better oc at the same time .. with less noise

Depends , black ice GTS 240 can cool equal or just as better as EKWB SE 360 . Both are classed as slim rads , 29mm vs 28mm but designs are like day and night . Tons of reviews showing different rad performance and cooling wattage with fans etc .

Biggest single thing that effects cooling is the Fans .
As you say can have lots of rads with low 600rpm or a single piece with 2200rpm , but if bot using really cheap poor fans with poor static and air flow , just going to equal a bad set up.

Reason why Alphacool swapping their own for Bequiet Pure & silent wings . Bigger cooling potential then rivals can match whilst being quieter

Permabanned
yeah fin spacing and all that .. but still a 2200rpm fan will not be quiet .. I've got a oc 1700 amd running 39-43deg c load nearly silent ..
it's in the front room .. crumpling a packet of crisps is louder the gpu 290 oc runs around 60 at load ..
the dog snoring is louder .. and the temps are low ..
so for me 2 loops are way better than these new all in one crap

Back
Top Bottom