• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Is the Ryzen 5 1600 the 'sweet spot' for gaming still (1080/1440)? waiting for the newest cpu in two months isn't an option as I have no PC right now. I'm doing a mini ITX build and decided to take a punt on AMD but I'm struggling a bit with it.

Caporegime
Is the Ryzen 5 1600 the 'sweet spot' for gaming still (1080/1440)? waiting for the newest cpu in two months isn't an option as I have no PC right now. I'm doing a mini ITX build and decided to take a punt on AMD but I'm struggling a bit with it.

That is a matter of opinion, the 8600K / 8700K are better gaming CPU's but that is measured using the fastest GPU's and even then they are not far ahead of the Ryzen 1600.

IMO the Ryzen 1600 is the "sweet spot" because of its price for performance ratio in games and in productivity its faster than the 8600K period, even overclockd vs overclocked.

Others might say Intel are best for gaming so it must be Intel regardless of everything else.

I'm running a 1600 with a GTX 1070, the CPU is providing more than enough grunt for it, i still play some Source Engine games like Insurgency and the GPU is running flatout at well over 100 FPS, Ryzen isn't quite Intel when is comes to gaming, but its a very very very long way from Bulldozer, the IPC difference is something like 70%, in fact when the CPU is fully loaded up the IPC is the same as Coffeelake, the performance clock for clock is the same, in low threaded workloads coffeelake is 8% faster.

Add to that the AM4 socket will be supported to Ryzen 3, so the X370 / B350 boards you buy now will support Ryzen 2 in April.

Soldato
That is a matter of opinion, the 8600K / 8700K are better gaming CPU's but that is measured using the fastest GPU's and even then they are not far ahead of the Ryzen 1600.

IMO the Ryzen 1600 is the "sweet spot" because of its price for performance ratio in games and in productivity its faster than the 8600K period, even overclockd vs overclocked.

Others might say Intel are best for gaming so it must be Intel regardless of everything else.

I'm running a 1600 with a GTX 1070, the CPU is providing more than enough grunt for it, i still play some Source Engine games like Insurgency and the GPU is running flatout at well over 100 FPS, Ryzen isn't quite Intel when is comes to gaming, but its a very very very long way from Bulldozer, the IPC difference is something like 70%, in fact when the CPU is fully loaded up the IPC is the same as Coffeelake, the performance clock for clock is the same, in low threaded workloads coffeelake is 8% faster.

Add to that the AM4 socket will be supported to Ryzen 3, so the X370 / B350 boards you buy now will support Ryzen 2 in April.

I'm being a bit more budget conscious this time which is why I felt a £150 R6 was a better idea than the 8600k at nearly £70 more. I will not ever be someone who gets a monitor above 60hz as I generally play strategy games and don't play FPS or other games where one could really justify needing a beefier setup to achieve the 100+ fps.
As you say, the price/perf ratio is what has attracted me this time around from the benchmarks I've seen I don't feel it's that much of a compromise. Good about the motherboard, I was going to get the ROG Strix B350-i but then I can save another £40 with the Gigabyte AB350N which arguably does everything I need. Every saving is needed to offset the eventual memory and GPU purchase.

Caporegime
I'm being a bit more budget conscious this time which is why I felt a £150 R6 was a better idea than the 8600k at nearly £70 more. I will not ever be someone who gets a monitor above 60hz as I generally play strategy games and don't play FPS or other games where one could really justify needing a beefier setup to achieve the 100+ fps.
As you say, the price/perf ratio is what has attracted me this time around from the benchmarks I've seen I don't feel it's that much of a compromise. Good about the motherboard, I was going to get the ROG Strix B350-i but then I can save another £40 with the Gigabyte AB350N which arguably does everything I need. Every saving is needed to offset the eventual memory and GPU purchase.

Yes, go for it, i came from a 4.5Ghz 4690K and have no regrets :)

Associate
can some one please tell me where the geardown setting is in the gaming 5 bios as i just cant remember

If its like the K7, semi depends on BIOS version as Gigabyte seem to move it, either under MIT / CPU settings or in AMD CBS / DRAM sections if i recall

Associate
It’s telling you what settings to use for your RAM to run at 3200, but the timings are hilariously bad/wrong.

I’d advise you start with

Memclk @ 3000Mhz
DRAM @ 1.375v (up to 1.4v max as it’s hynix)
SOC Voltage @ 1.1v
ProcODT @ 60
CADbus @ Auto (then try 20,20,20,20 of needs be)
Timings @ 16,16,16,16,36 with everything else auto.

In all honesty, I would sell in the RAM and get some Samsung B-Die based RAM.

Either of these:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3200mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-08l-tg.html

Or

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gala...t-white-hof4cxlbs3200h14hd162k-my-002-kf.html
Yeah that calculator thing is gash. Every profile I tried with it last night wouldn't even boot. Ram was ok running at 3200 at tight timings but as soon as I put any cpu overclock on it wouldn't boot. Going to give these till the end of the month and if I can't get near 3200 with reasonable timming, then they are getting sold

Associate
It’s telling you what settings to use for your RAM to run at 3200, but the timings are hilariously bad/wrong.

I’d advise you start with

Memclk @ 3000Mhz
DRAM @ 1.375v (up to 1.4v max as it’s hynix)
SOC Voltage @ 1.1v
ProcODT @ 60
CADbus @ Auto (then try 20,20,20,20 of needs be)
Timings @ 16,16,16,16,36 with everything else auto.

In all honesty, I would sell in the RAM and get some Samsung B-Die based RAM.

Either of these:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3200mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-08l-tg.html

Or

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gala...t-white-hof4cxlbs3200h14hd162k-my-002-kf.html
Out of those 2 sets which ones would be the best. I know a lot of people are liking the 8Pack ones but the white Galaxy ones would suit my board better

Soldato
The 8 pack 3200 are 3200c14 high quality Bdie binned memory. This means how they perform is down to motherboard and the lottery of the CPU’s IMC. With other ram it can vary what you actually get and if it is Hynix based it won’t perform as well on Ryzen.

los

los

Associate
As I have corsair 8 gb x2 LPX 3200, am I likely to hit 3200? If not is one of the new CPU's in April likely to help? Or is it more likely to be the motherboard?

Back
Top Bottom