Apple tv4k US version

Soldato
Got a family member coming over from new York in march. I've looked and they're quite a bit cheaper so what are the pros and cons of getting one from the states?

Soldato
Only difference I can see is the power plug being a 2 pin.

Apart from that, they are the same.

Not sure how Apple will deal with it over here if it breaks down.

Soldato
like roku 4k imports, you may find Iplayer app (720) will not work and potentially bbc HLG uhd blue-planet & upcoming broadcasts,
(other UK on demand apps ??)

Associate
like roku 4k imports, you may find Iplayer app (720) will not work and potentially bbc HLG uhd blue-planet & upcoming broadcasts,
(other UK on demand apps ??)

Apple don't stop you installing any apps from anywhere in the world?

You just need an iTunes account linked to the appropriate country.

Soldato
yep - but it may have something in firmware that geotags it and prevents it running (like roku where you can also install apps)
equally bbc don't want their content leaking out via VPN users (but US folks could/do just use a vpn + PCapp)

Man of Honour
i bought an apple 4k tv in the us for my friend and brought it back here. she uses it just fine with her itunes login.
also, don't forget that us prices are quoted before state tax is added, so it wont be massively cheaper. i bought the 32gb 4k tv for £150 (when the exchange rate was $1.30/£1) - its £180 on apple webstore

Soldato
A US bought apple TV with UK iTunes login details in the uk will download and play iPlayer just fine
Yup. You'll have no problem using a US Apple TV in the UK
ok - you have both confirmed iplayer works ... the limitation could have been imposed by the BBC, so out of apple hands,
the uk/us models have different model numbers (solely the plugs)

Associate
ok - you have both confirmed iplayer works ... the limitation could have been imposed by the BBC, so out of apple hands,

What the bugger are you on about? The only limitation imposed by the BBC of player on any model of Apple tv is that its used in the UK (or obviously with a VPN.) with a UK iTunes account

Soldato
lol: rather than vague non-commital language - if you have one and it works then say so !

if you look up BBC details on how pvr customers are obliged to device encrypt fhd content, for example, then trying to stop spread of drm content worldwide would not be unreasonable, by requesting apple+others provide means to distinguish UK sold devices.

Associate
I've used US apple TV's in the US on a VPN with my iTunes account to watch iplayer before without issue.

I also use US apps on my UK apple tv with a VPN and a US iTunes account without issue.

There has NEVER been any hardware restrictions on any app's on apple TV.

You don't even need a VPN to watch iTunes movies associated with international iTunes accounts.

I'm not sure how

"A US bought apple TV with UK iTunes login details in the uk will download and play iPlayer just fine."

Was at all vague or non committal?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom