Monster Hunter World (PS4, XB1, PC)

Associate
Hit the high rank stuff last night and now I'm totally lost with all the various armour and weapon options. This game is going to take a bit of thought. Still muddling through with sword and shield but think its time to try out some new weapons, any recommendations?

Hammer is easy to use as is the dual blades. Bow if fine but needs armor sets to make it really shine. Charge blade and switch axe are also good but need some learning. I hear that insect glaive is op but is tricky to use and needs a certain kinsect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdlMeJgvkIQ

Soldato
Just got the full legiana armour set. It looks awesome :D

The thing is quite brutal to fight. Along with odogoran which have both been the most difficult for me so far.

Soldato
What the best way to gear up in high rank? Bit overwhelmed by the options.

Get basic sets like Jag and bone then hunt more difficult monsters ?

Armour A or B?? Assume A first until you get some attachments for slots?

Roam different areas to identify old and new monsters?

Soldato
When I got to HR last week the game told me of a special quest that opened up for 2 days only. I think it was Sat to Sun or Monday. This allowed everyone at that level to farm for the Zorah Magdaros armor set by repeating the quest. It was the one where you have to send Zorah back to the sea. Having that set allowed me to have a decent set to take on the higher level monsters. I assume this quest will open up to new HR hunters this weekend? I think it was under optional quests with the description 'guide Zorah Magdaros' though I can't remember what the quest itself was called.

I just checked. There are two quests where you can farm Zorah armor. 'One For The History Books' and 'A Colossal Task'. I just looked for other people's SOS games and joined them. I got the materials quite quickly this way.

I started HR by finishing a set of zorah magdaros armour. Used that till I got a full set of Nergigante

Exactly this. I am at or near Nergigante now.

Last edited:
Soldato
It has decent fire resist. Without it the next Anjanath you meet will one shot you if you're in the way of his fire attack. I learnt my lesson the hard way lol

Lol last night was playing with 2 mates. Doing a random high rank pukei quest. One friend had already fainted twice. Pukei about to be dropped and completely out of nowhere the Anjanath comes and one shots the other mate. FAIL

Soldato
Does the online in this game not really work well? I try to create and join online sessions but I normally end up alone.

It's a bit fiddly but you get use to it. Easiest way is invite your friend to a session. Create a quest and ask him to join it.

If you're playing solo online you can join available quests or SOS people have sent. These update every time you look so if the one you're after isn't there then go back out and into the same field and it'll update a new list.

As long as you don't create a password and have slots if you send an SOS interested people will join.

Soldato
Does the online in this game not really work well? I try to create and join online sessions but I normally end up alone.

As said above check the Player List. I've had a few times when I've joined a friend and been put in my own session still. Once you are all in the same session in the main hub you won't see anyone. You have to go 'The Gathering Hub' to see other players.

From either point you have to keep an eye on the right of the screen as you'll see a prompt seeing X has posted a quest. It's not very clear and easily missed, I don't think it even displays if you're in the item screens until you close them. Needs some kind of audible cue to make it more obvious.

Associate
Finally got around to progressing the story and took down the Pink Rathian this weekend, took a couple of attempts to get used to the patterns but it was a fun fight... now doing some prep before I take down Nergigante.

Soldato
I've failed twice on the ajanath even after firing sos off twice , mind you the 2nd time it was a randoms fault as he fainted twice ! Going to do some investigations and farm some upgraded armour before I try it again

Also, what's classed as high rank on this game ? As I've seen a lot of people say that the game really opens up then and that's after like 45 hours play time.

Back
Top Bottom