“New” PC

Associate
Something you might not see every day - picked this up while doing a house clearance a while ago, it’s a PC from possibly around 2000 still in its original box and never been used! Given as a gift apparently and never opened. Got an unopened monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers to go along with it too!

Has a 500mhz Celeron, 6gb hard drive, Rage Pro Turbo and Windows ME (ugh). Also the ubiquitous floppy drive and 52x CD reader Just booted it up and it’s gone though all the “new hardware” stuff which makes me think this thing’s literally never been turned on let alone used. Everything’s all shiny and pristine inside it too (although it doesn’t look it from my terrible photo lol)

Thought it was cool anyway, might use it as a retro gaming system or give it away.

You really do forget just how loud these old hard drives spin!

vEhLL7A.jpg
b96iuvI.jpg
OTtoS55.jpg
0hOdiyl.jpg

Soldato
I wonder if you could install some old console emulators on it, master system, nes, etc.

Would make an interesting retro box.

Other than that it's basically a door stop unless you want to keep it in new condition as it might be an antique.. But that's questionable!

Soldato
I love the power supply sat directly above the CPU.. Was it functioning as an exhaust of sorts?
Not something you'd see these day's, hahaha!

Associate
It reminds me of this video I watched yesterday:

I sat there thinking I was 28 when this board from ''before I was even born" came out. But I wasn't into computing at that stage and to learn about the dual Intel/AMD socket was an eye opener to me.

Associate
OP
Definitely nostalgic if nothing else. Think it’s a long shot it would ever be worth any money lol. It would be seriously cool as a retro gaming machine but its in such pristine condition having been boxed up all these years I kind of don’t want to use it lol. I have to get a better picture of the inside, it’s quite something.

No idea what the PSU is doing there but it seems it’s just blocking airflow to the CPU fan... :D

Associate
OP
Yup, fond memories of those. Still have the 2nd AGP card I had which I was going to put in this but really it's a bit too modern and I don't really want to change anything on it.

I think it would probably be worth a few quid judging by what people are charging on eBay for "retro gaming PCs" but I don't think I'll get rid of it.

Associate
OP
Brilliant. They don’t make ‘em like they used to. Which is a relief!!

Yup, it sure is, you forget how much of a headache they are... although running Windows Me has its advantages - it recognised my USB drive straight away so I shouldn’t have any trouble putting games on it.

That brings back some memories! Those Enlight cases were quality items, I had a similar EN7237 for my P3-700 back around 1999/2000ish.

Ah cool! I didn’t know that’s what the case was, I just thought it was a no-name one.

Soldato
As someone who is into retro PCs, That sort of set up would be quite valuable - especially if it is a retail motherboard - as it has ISA slots and I'd assume the capacitors are in great condition! If it had a voodoo 3 in there you'd be laughing! The case is not yellowed at all! To most people it's junk but to us Vogons it's valuable so please don't just dump it!

Associate
OP
As someone who is into retro PCs, That sort of set up would be quite valuable - especially if it is a retail motherboard - as it has ISA slots and I'd assume the capacitors are in great condition! If it had a voodoo 3 in there you'd be laughing! The case is not yellowed at all! To most people it's junk but to us Vogons it's valuable so please don't just dump it!

Yup it’s a retail board as far as I can tell and the caps are all peachy. Don’t worry I must have about 30 old computers and I’m not the type to dump any of them lol. Will either keep or sell to someone else who’ll appreciate it.

I haven’t looked at the prices of 90s desktops in a few years and wow I can’t believe what they’re going for on eBay even for nasty old yellowed ones! I guess it’s about the newest configuration you could still call retro. Regret not picking up some more 90s boxes when they were just obsolete and not “retro”.

Soldato
Keep it! You'll be able to play Quake II with the proper soundtrack on the CD. :D
Heh, reminds me of Age of Empires (the original). If you put the CD in the drive whilst playing you get to hear the proper soundtrack, whereas if you don't you get crappy MIDI knock-offs. I don't think I ever found a way of emulating the CD that made it play the proper soundtrack, although of course one could just play it in a separate audio application these days.

Associate
OP
I'm not old enough to remember the original AOE but I sure do remember AOE II. Never really looked at Quake as I'm not a big fan of shooters... but I may check it out with its soundtrack in all it's proper glory - at least it has a proper single player mode :D

Back
Top Bottom