**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Permabanned
China, the state, is not interested in you, the individual. ........

Sadly you appear to be out of touch with what is going on in the real world.

Chinese cyber-thieves have successfully hacked UK individuals and firms to obtain secret personal data from individuals as well as intellectual property from UK companies.

The group behind the most recently publicly named attacks (and there are certainly many others not revealed to the public), named APT10, was found to have used custom malware and "spear phishing" techniques.

Simply put most people, if they think about it, do not want the Chinese Communist State to have access to your most personal data, nor do companies want their sensitive intellectual property developed through years of hard work and innovation, illegally stolen by Chinese hackers working for the State.

Soldato
Sadly you appear to be out of touch with what is going on in the real world.

Chinese cyber-thieves have successfully hacked UK individuals and firms to obtain secret personal data from individuals as well as intellectual property from UK companies.

The group behind the most recently publicly named attacks (and there are certainly many others not revealed to the public), named APT10, was found to have used custom malware and "spear phishing" techniques.

Simply put most people, if they think about it, do not want the Chinese Communist State to have access to your most personal data, nor do companies want their sensitive intellectual property developed through years of hard work and innovation, illegally stolen by Chinese hackers working for the State.
Best get off the internet, set fire to your computer and blast your phone (whatever brand it may be) into the sun then.

Associate
I just received my Redmi5 Plus this week using the DHL option. No customs charges at all - although tracking didn't update until i got a 'its arriving tomorrow' email. Took 10 days to arrive. Very pleased with phone, very high quality for the price. A super upgrade from my Moto G4.

i wished i had gone for that option now, i bought one from gear best but it's showing as not in stock until march 6th, i might see if i can cancel it.

maj

maj

Soldato
Been looking into the Huawei range as an alternative to Xiaomi. Was really tempted by the P9 Lite till I found out it doesn't have USB-C which is a bit of a disappointment. Has SD card support which is a big plus point from my point of view though as well as NFC support for likes of Android pay.

Associate
i wished i had gone for that option now, i bought one from gear best but it's showing as not in stock until march 6th, i might see if i can cancel it.

They will probably message you and say its shipped. They tried that with me and I wasn't having any of that, also contacted PayPal. Got my money back.

Soldato
OP
Really liking my new Nubia M2 so far. Great screen, great battery life, smart looks. Can't comment too much on the UI as I always immediately install Nova.

Only little niggle so far is that only the pre-installed official backgrounds can be used on the lockscreen, unless I'm missing something.

Great alternative to Xiaomi I reckon and only £109.

Last edited:

maj

maj

Soldato
Has anyone successfully flashed TWRP to their phone before? Looking into flashing a custom rom (LineageOS) onto my Mi5 and it recommends flashing TWRP first but doesn't actually explain how. I've got USB debugging enabled and in ADB if I use adb devices command when phone is connected via usb (but not in recovery mode) it detects the phone. As soon as I reboot phone into recovery mode, no adb commands detect the phone. The guide I'm reading says I need to use fastboot devices command to flash TWRP.

Soldato
Has anyone successfully flashed TWRP to their phone before? Looking into flashing a custom rom (LineageOS) onto my Mi5 and it recommends flashing TWRP first but doesn't actually explain how. I've got USB debugging enabled and in ADB if I use adb devices command when phone is connected via usb (but not in recovery mode) it detects the phone. As soon as I reboot phone into recovery mode, no adb commands detect the phone. The guide I'm reading says I need to use fastboot devices command to flash TWRP.

Should be something like, fastboot flash recovery "twrp image name" You could also try fastboot boot "twrp image name" which opens twrp without flashing.

Last edited:

maj

maj

Soldato
Should be something like, fastboot flash recovery "twrp image name" You could also try fastboot boot "twrp image name" which opens twrp without flashing.

Will give it a go thanks.

The phone needs to be in fastboot mode. A few videos on YouTube, that explain it. Have you unlocked the bootloader?

Yeah my bootloader is unlocked. I've realised what I was doing wrong now thanks to your post. I was getting recovery and fastboot mixed up. Power + volume up gives me recovery, power + volume down gives me fastboot.

Soldato
Will give it a go thanks.

Yeah my bootloader is unlocked. I've realised what I was doing wrong now thanks to your post. I was getting recovery and fastboot mixed up. Power + volume up gives me recovery, power + volume down gives me fastboot.

Ah didn't see you were booting into recovery, You can use the command adb reboot-bootloader when the phone is powered on normally to get to fastboot instead of using the buttons :)

Associate
It can take an age to get through after landing. I think mine took 3 weeks in total from order (11/11 order 2/12 received), but it obviously depends on how busy things are.
So my phone was eventually delivered. Didn't have to pay any import duty :) and didn't sign for the delivery - The royal mail sight just shows and error when I check my delivery reference still and Singapore post has not been updated either - Glad it wasn't lost in delivery. Now that I have the phone and updated to Oreo I am really, really impressed with this phone the only down side is the camera isn't outstanding indoors but its better than my old LG G2 camera. If you are considering the Xiaomi Mi A1 phone its well worth the £160 price tag

Soldato
So my phone was eventually delivered. Didn't have to pay any import duty :) and didn't sign for the delivery - The royal mail sight just shows and error when I check my delivery reference still and Singapore post has not been updated either - Glad it wasn't lost in delivery. Now that I have the phone and updated to Oreo I am really, really impressed with this phone the only down side is the camera isn't outstanding indoors but its better than my old LG G2 camera. If you are considering the Xiaomi Mi A1 phone its well worth the £160 price tag
Glad to hear it turned up.
Do me a favour and post an update on how your finding it after using it for a little while.
I've got until September (good old rainforest :D) to return the wife's g5 ( hateful thing) and am still considering one of these..

Associate
That's confusing, dropped from the line up, dropped in price?

Has been released in India. Some reviews are up on Youtube. Looks good, and has an improved camera. Base model 4gb ram/64gb memory gives a solid performance with no lags in power hungry games. Looking forward to ordering it.

Back
Top Bottom