Driving through France / Spain...

Associate
Currently planning a visit to Villamartín in September via the Eurotunnel. Google maps says its approx. 18 hours in total, so looking to do this over 2 days with a stop over at a place called Bayonne, not far from the border.

Here is the google maps route calculation - Anyone done this route before? How did you find it? What can I expect the tolls to cost me?

Also willing to look at alternative routes if anyone has any advice?

Pczc5xJ.jpg

Thanks.

Associate
Just checked and it cost me 62.74 to drive from Switzerland up to Calais in August last year in France toll roads. Obviously your route will be different but it should give you a rough idea.

If you weren't already planning on getting one, get one of the little tags that just stick to your windscreen. Think they're a tenner or so and it means you don't need any cash, just drive up to the appropriate lane and it just opens automatically. All gets billed at the end of the month.

Soldato
I did this a few years ago to a place not far from Villamartin, with a layover in Pau. We actually avoided a good chunk of toll roads, using the viamichelin website to plan the route.

It's a long old drive, but not too bad just make sure to take breaks and have all the requirements for driving through France and Spain (Spare glasses, breathaliser, warning triangle etc).

Associate
Might be worth getting a toll road tag. https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/

I have one for France through these guys and although they also do a Spanish one, I get mine through my Spanish bank.

Also that route will take more than 18 hours in total. The Spanish part of your route is the route I take from Bilbao/ Santander when I get the ferry and drive to Valencia.

Associate
a stop over at a place called Bayonne, not far from the border.

Unless you have to stop in Bayonne (yummy ham but your route is taking you past Teruel in Spain which is also famous for ham ), I would drive a further 30 miles over the border to San Sebastián.... one of the food capitals of the planet.

Associate
OP
Thank you all for the advice / recommendations.

I did look at staying at San Sebastián, but the hotel prices seemed ridiculous for the days I wanted to stop over (may be some event on or something?)

I will look into the toll road tag :)

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Go through the Pyrenees if you can. Roads, scenery and food are all awesome.
Certainly much more exciting than the Autovías!

Associate
Thank you all for the advice / recommendations.

I did look at staying at San Sebastián, but the hotel prices seemed ridiculous for the days I wanted to stop over (may be some event on or something?)

I will look into the toll road tag :)

Try the Mercure ... it is slightly out of town (on a cliff overlooking the bay) but a taxi is under 10 euros to the old town and the parking is easy.

Associate
Go through the Pyrenees if you can. Roads, scenery and food are all awesome.
Certainly much more exciting than the Autovías!

I agree. Andorra is beautiful in the summer months. For Calais, If you wanted to do a stop before Andorra, my list of cities would be Dijon / Lyon or Toulouse / Carcassonne which would also allow you to drive over the Millau Viaduct.

Soldato
Yep. You want to go:

Calais
Rouen (hit this out of rush hour or dead of night or you'll be very sad)
Le Mans
Tours
Poitiers
Bordeaux (clockwise down, anti clockwise up)

South of Bordeaux will take you down past Biarritz and to to Spain. That road feels like it goes on for eternity.

Depending on who you are travelling with, and their appetite for travel, Bordeaux to Calais is easily dooable in a day.

Associate
We did something similar in reverse....

Got the mini cruise from Portsmouth straight to Bilbao. Really nice intro to holiday and no more expensive than the fuel/hotels etc.

We then stayed near Barcelona for a few days, before moving north staying in langudeoc. Then over last couple of days we stayed near Paris and went to Disney for the day before home.

You should do the Millau bridge on the way back.

Associate
theres 2 types IIRC. an 18hr ferry and a 36hr mini cruise.

get on sunday 4pm, get off tuesday 6am IIRC. Its a really nice begining to a holiday tbh. Lots to do on the ship and much more relaxing than blasting a 1000 miles down france.

Associate
theres 2 types IIRC. an 18hr ferry and a 36hr mini cruise.

get on sunday 4pm, get off tuesday 6am IIRC. Its a really nice begining to a holiday tbh. Lots to do on the ship and much more relaxing than blasting a 1000 miles down france.

If you want to call the Cap Finistère a cruise ship... go for it. I use the about 2 or 3 times a year and yes it is okay. Restaurant is nice. Worth joining them Overseas Owners Club or whatever it is called these days. It can pay for itself on the first crossing.

Associate
pedant. im just referring to it as the operator does... :rolleyes:

She is good fun in 30 foot waves. I have pleasure of returning on her during the New Year Storm. Journey took 40 hours and had a great meal on the first night when she was tied up to the dock in Santander.

To be honest, Brittany Ferries are pretty good. They are my preferred ferry company and you are right it does save a ton of driving.

Back
Top Bottom