ISIL, ISIS, Daesh discussion thread.

Man of Honour
Not to mention last week's battalion strength attack on US forces by Russian mercenaries (The Wagner group, who have very close ties to Putin) that apparently led to many dead Russians rotting into the sand - figures are are anywhere between 100 and 500 dead.

That was an odd situation all in all - supposedly they'd seen them building up for several days but only contacted Russian liaisons 20 minutes before those forces moved out against the SDF/US. At which point they went to town on them and literally dropped the hammer - if it was a probing attack to test US resolve well they got an answer of sorts :s

I think the whole thing with Turkey though is a far more complex game and I wonder if Erdogan knows when to stop - despite the East v West proxy stuff going on elsewhere I've a feeling that might escalate into a very different confrontation and might end up with Turkey at odds with both Russia and the US which would not be good.

Soldato
OP
Nice necro, so you're saying Russia were wrong to target Al Qaeda as well as ISIS?
Nice absurd tangent. Ignore everything else, standard.

By the way, I could have quoted numerous other similar comment's throughout the thread, it just so happened that one popped up first when I searched. So should I now take it that you don't believe what you said back then? Your opinions have an expiry date where you'll switch them to suit. How.... flakey.

Soldato
Nice absurd tangent.
What tangent? You necro'd a post of mine from three years ago pointing out how Russia were attacking ISIS and Al Qaeda (as opposed to ignoring AQ like the US because they were fighting ISIS), I assumed from that you were complaining about it? Or were you just necroing random posts for lols?

Soldato
OP
What tangent? You necro'd a post of mine from three years ago pointing out how Russia were attacking ISIS and Al Qaeda (as opposed to ignoring AQ like the US because they were fighting ISIS), I assumed from that you were complaining about it? Or were you just necroing random posts for lols?
You clearly like Lols.

Lol.

No comment on the topic of discussion then? I thought since you were so astute on the matter and also completely unbiased, I would assume you'd at least have something to say about the revelation that Russia are there for the oil. Particularly since you initially seemed to have the impression that they were just there to clean up the naughty jihadists.

Soldato
I find it interesting that British people who went over to fight against IS with the Kurds are now being charged with terrorism offenses...
To use an analogy, if ISIS invaded Ireland and British people went over to join the IRA then they would get in trouble too. The Syrian Kurds may be fighting ISIS but they are also fighting the Syria forces too so even though our government and the US "support" them at a diplomatic/aid level when it suits they don't want British citizens helping them.

No comment on the topic of discussion then?
Let me get this straight, you quoted a post of mine from three years ago (saying it was good Russia were fighting ISIS and Al Qaeda instead of ignoring Al Qaeda like the USA because they were fighting ISIS) and complained about it, I replied and now you're taking shots at me for not also commenting on something else you were discussing with somebody else? Jesus... lol.

I thought since you were so astute on the matter and also completely unbiased, I would assume you'd at least have something to say about the revelation that Russia are there for the oil.
What revelation? Russia has had contracts for Syria's onshore and offshore oil/gas for years, this isn't something new they have just renewed the contracts. It was of course one of the big reasons they agreed to help Syria with the extremists, this was widely known/discussed back when they first got involved hence why myself and others made fun of Putin's claim Russia was just there to fight the terrorists. For reference they held contracts with Iraq/Libya prior to US intervention too, which probably influenced their decision to help Syria.

Soldato
Couple of interesting developments today, first the Kurds have accused Turkey of using chemical weapons as part of it's invasion of northern Syria, so it will be interesting to see how the global players react/respond to that. Secondly the Kurds have also announced (though not confirmed by Damascus yet) that they have reached an agreement with the Syrian military for reinforcements to be sent to counter the Turkish invasion, if true that would be a very interesting development.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-43107013

Ubersonic retorting that there isn't much oil on Syria, not really enough to be considered "oil rich". You're in denial about Russia, clearly. Shills gonna shill.
It's cute that you're still digging up posts from three years ago in an attempt to bully me, but if you had actually taken the time to read it then you wouldn't have made a fool of yourself:
Syria doesn't have enough to be considered oil rich, by comparison Iran/Iraq have ~6000% more, Kuwait/UAE/Russia have ~3900% more, the US and Libya have 10x more, the UK has nearly 3x the amount and Saudi Arabia and Venezuela have over 10000% more (obviously the are a lot more countries with more, but I can't list them all, just some in order to get the point over).

Soldato
OP
It's cute that you're still digging up posts from three years ago in an attempt to bully me, but if you had actually taken the time to read it then you wouldn't have made a fool of yourself:

What is cute is you down playing the value of Syrian oil reserves when Russia clearly hold a different view of that to you. Edify them!

And we get it, the validity of your views and posts have an expiry date. What is the time length for expiry though? Shall we say 24hrs, it's pretty much what I'm coming accustomed to with your rambling. It's a shame, someone self proclaimed to be so knowledgeable on these matters, you'd hope their views had lasting validity, particularly since they've been monitoring everything from the start.

Soldato
In a follow up from my earlier post it seems Syrian forces have now confirmed the Kurds statement that Syrian forces will be joining them to fight the Turkish invasion forces and the Turkish backed Syrian extremists in the north:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...army-erdogan-fight-turkey-kurds-a8218061.html

After seeming to down after the fall of ISIS the situation in Syria seems to be getting more and more out of control by the day now :(

Soon we will have Turkish forces and Turkish back extremists coming into conflict with both US backed Kurdish forces and Russian/Iranian backed Syrian forces, while at the same time there are still US backed extremists in the area due to which the US bombed the Syrian forces the last time they moved north. I get the feeling this is going to get worse before it gets better :(

Man of Honour
Soon we will have Turkish forces and Turkish back extremists coming into conflict with both US backed Kurdish forces and Russian/Iranian backed Syrian forces, while at the same time there are still US backed extremists in the area due to which the US bombed the Syrian forces the last time they moved north. I get the feeling this is going to get worse before it gets better :(

I almost get the feeling, as unlikely as it sounds, that both the US and Russia are luring Turkey into something here - despite the fact Russia would love to splinter NATO, etc. for its own ends there is little love for Turkey as it stands in the US right now and Putin doesn't usually just forgive and forget the way he appears to have done over some things with Turkey - I almost wonder if there is some agreement behind closed doors for a mutually beneficial, though at opposing polarity, end game. The stuff of conspiracy?

EDIT: Though then there is the whole thing with Lavrov which complicates it further.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Well, here we go, looks like it's on now, hopefully somebody will blink before things get seriously out of hand.

Syrian pro-government forces have entered the Kurdish-held area of Afrin to confront what state media called "aggression by the Turkish regime".

The government was asked to send forces by a Kurdish militia that has been trying to repel an offensive by Turkish troops and allied Syrian rebels.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-43131600

Man of Honour
Well, here we go, looks like it's on now, hopefully somebody will blink before things get seriously out of hand.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-43131600

Has all the potential for turning into one **** of a mess.

I don't think Erdogan is gonna be the one blinking - he has become recklessly overconfident and seems quite ideology driven. Judging by his actions during the coup attempt and that the whole "Ottoman slap" whatever that is wasn't banded around idly I think he will only stop when he puts his hand in the fire.

Dunno I just feel like there is more going on here than it appears but I can't figure it out - whenever I try to put the pieces together there is always one piece that doesn't fit with the rest.

Soldato
OP
Has all the potential for turning into one **** of a mess.

I don't think Erdogan is gonna be the one blinking - he has become recklessly overconfident and seems quite ideology driven. Judging by his actions during the coup attempt and that the whole "Ottoman slap" whatever that is wasn't banded around idly I think he will only stop when he puts his hand in the fire.

Dunno I just feel like there is more going on here than it appears but I can't figure it out - whenever I try to put the pieces together there is always one piece that doesn't fit with the rest.
I think it's more like people are keen to stir this up into something more than it is. That's the result of media frenzy whipping it up and unsurprising if it's their only source of info.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom