Attempting to Overclock 8700k

Associate
I have a 8700k on an ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING using a custom water loop with
EKWB EK-XTOP SPC-60 PWM with Pump
EK Water Blocks EK-Supremacy EVO - Nickel
XSPC RX240 Dual Fan Radiator V3

the highest I can seam to go is 4.7 I have had it stable at 48 but the vcore had to be set at 1.40v and temps were running high at 77c

here is the only setting I have been changing is the anything else i am missing at this time I am stable at 4.7 and temps are 65c

set the AI Overclock Tuner to Manual
Sync all cores and set the CPU Core Ratio 47
Set the CPU Core/Cache voltage to manual and Enter 1.33v in the "CPU Core Voltage Override"
LLC level 5

Thanks for your input

Soldato
I have a 8700k on an ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING using a custom water loop with
EKWB EK-XTOP SPC-60 PWM with Pump
EK Water Blocks EK-Supremacy EVO - Nickel
XSPC RX240 Dual Fan Radiator V3

the highest I can seam to go is 4.7 I have had it stable at 48 but the vcore had to be set at 1.40v and temps were running high at 77c

here is the only setting I have been changing is the anything else i am missing at this time I am stable at 4.7 and temps are 65c

Sync all cores and set the CPU Core Ratio 47
Set the CPU Core/Cache voltage to manual and Enter 1.33v in the "CPU Core Voltage Override"
LLC level 5

Thanks for your input

you tried LLC level 4/3 ? asus higher levels of llc can add quite a bit of voltage- worth checking CPUz or other software to see how much it adds- might explain high temp - then try Level 4 and see if stable along with how much voltage its supplying then then level 3

might of got unlucky with your chip- pulling of 5.1ghz with 1.356v and set to 1.34v in bios (Gigabyte) hitting 88c in realbench on ekwb SE 360 rad

Associate
OP
heres what ive got to now after reading other posts

Sync all cores and set the CPU Core Ratio 50
LLC level 4
CPU Ratio Offset when running AVX -3
Change Long Duration Power to 250.
Change Long Duration Maintained to 60.
Change Short Duration Power to 250.
Change CPU Current Limit(A) to 250.

I am getting strange cpu spikes upto 80c but temp sitting at 66c under 100% load

also my memory is showing as ddr4 2133 and its ddr4 3000 but if i set it to 3000 then i get errors

Last edited:
Associate
OP
my core v is now set at 1.36 and multi at 49 as was crashing with stress test but my temps are still at 80c with water cooler WTF!!
couldit be bad thermal paste or is this normal with theses cpu's

Associate
I peak in to the low 80's with my 4.9Ghz OC. Volts for me are 1.298 load.

Only way for me to push higher would be to delid but there is a question mark I've my CPU at the mo as it fails Realbench at stock - I'm still looking into that so will not do anything untill its proven good.

Just need the time to reinstall Windows.

Soldato
my core v is now set at 1.36 and multi at 49 as was crashing with stress test but my temps are still at 80c with water cooler WTF!!

heres mine with Eisbaer AIO unit going to EKWB slim 360 SE rad with Silent wing 3 2200rpm fans which go full pelt when running asus real bench

0spx6Wn.jpg

I now run 5.1 with same voltage and 48 uncore - 4000hz ram
each chip is different, tried pumping 1.44v to get 5.2 and didn't work . took about 0.05 volt to go from 4.9 to 5.1 for myself but got lucky- but running ITX on High LLC isn't great for my VRM haha- though under gaming its 70c odd

I peak in to the low 80's with my 4.9Ghz OC. Volts for me are 1.298 load.

Only way for me to push higher would be to delid but there is a question mark I've my CPU at the mo as it fails Realbench at stock - I'm still looking into that so will not do anything untill its proven good.

Just need the time to reinstall Windows.

OC software like Afterburner can cause issue when running it

Associate

My 8600k won't go any higher than 4.8ghz at any volts without crashing, and it needs 1.33v to do 4.8. Temps are fine with a Noctua NH-D14. I think it's just a silicon lottery thing.

Soldato
My 8600k won't go any higher than 4.8ghz at any volts without crashing, and it needs 1.33v to do 4.8. Temps are fine with a Noctua NH-D14. I think it's just a silicon lottery thing.

amen to that, got lucky on mine that from 4.9 to 5.1 not really voltage increase is needed - though its more then likely to LLC chucking in a higher amount.

Soldato
I am still testing as a lot of my previous tests were done on a defective board.

Using offset so will post the voltage showing when under load.

The system is stable at 4.8ghz non AVX using 1.27v

Currently testing other scenarios, ironically I have found booting parted magic a great stress tester, it will immediately panic on boot if unstable, even if passing windows stress testing tools.
The second best tester I have found is intel's XTU. However this I think is not a realistic load. So might just use real bench moving forward along with testing parted magic boot.

I made a thread related to AVX offset, so I am trying to get a config where 4.8ghz AVX is good.

--update--

System is stable at 4.8ghz AVX, so 0 offset is good, I tried 5 ghz with an offset of 2 to keep AVX at 4.8ghz and the PC rebooted during realbench multitasking test, I am not prepared to use obscene voltages to hit 5ghz so have dialled back the voltage and settled on 4.8, the vcore under AVX load peaks at 1.312v. 1.28-1.29 non AVX load. Things also seem better for me on the bugged LLC bios which I am using now.

On the previous board when I was testing getting parted magic to boot at 4.9 or 5ghz I had to increase the vcore massively to over 1.37v. So on my chip is a massive voltage jump required from 4.8 to 4.9.

Also my board coil whines at voltages under 1.0v, so I disabled all the C states except C1E.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom