Treated myself to a Marantz SR8012 :D

Associate
And I gotta say its one hell of a AVR. I had a SR7010 and the 8012 sounds a lot better. I got an extra pair of Kef r50 atmos modules so I have 7.1.4 and the 8012 powers them with ease and the dynanics are just great. Had it a week and think I've finished tweaking LOL.

Associate
Might go for a AV770x myself (AV Pre-amp) They aren't too expensive. Already have 7 channels of amplification, also got 4 more if I go Atmos.

Just wondering what kind of difference one would achieve in going for a dedicated processor vs an AVR? (With the AVR feeding dedicated amplification via the pre-outs)

Considering some kind of general upgrade myself and wondering whether to go for:

(1) Some kind of premium AVR.
(2) A processor and separate amplification.
(3) A mid-range AVR and separate amplification.

Haven't even decided on speakers yet; but I quite fancy the MK sound and XTZ cinema ranges (ie, dedicated home cinema closed-box speakers).

Soldato
Pre-powers are when you don't want to compromise on sound or upgradability.
Premium AVR's are often out of date, ie HDR & 4K, then later on 120hz. So your £2500 AVR will be in a few years a "old skool" AVR where you don't use it for video switching, because your new HDR 4K 120hz BD player won't work through the AVR. Then you have now Atms DTS:X and pretty much every year a new tech, new HDMI revision.

AVR power amplifier stages are pretty weedy until you reach around the £2000 mark, and at that point you could get superior power with budget AVR and power amplifiers- or just buy the power amplifiers you feel you need, ie a 3 channel for L/C/R where it's most needed. For example a Rotel RMB-993 THX would destroy all AVR's, that was a 200W per channel, 3 channel THX power amplifier

Seperates are more of a long term thing- power amplifiers can last 20 years, AVRs will not, so put the money in amplification once then get affordable AV pres and just replace that when it's out of date (I still use a Lexicon MC-8) it lacks HDMI and HD audio decoding but it has plenty of coaxial and optical, and Pro-Logic/DD/DTS and Logic 7 ontop of that. So for older material Logic 7 does something AVR's do not, scale mono, stereo mixes or Pro-Logic to full on 7.1 with stereo side and rears, and it sounds bloody great.

Another benefit is clean power, you know with a decent power amp, the speakers will blow up before clipping happens. With a AVR it's possible the opposite could happen, so if you spend thousands on speakers then bit more on amps is not a huge outlay- considering what happens if you blow a treble on a now obselete speaker with no available parts.

M&K are usually 4 ohm, also if they are smaller speakers, and closed box, they'll have lower efficiency, so you need more power.

The speakers I use are pretty much all 4 ohm, minus the rears which are efficient and easy to drive, and one set dips down to 2.2ohms, so for me power amps are a no brainer. I've only bought two sets of power amplfiiers in 20 years. How often would you have bought AVR for every refresh of the decoding side, but also having to buy the same quality of amps as mine every time? I'd say £2000-£2500 for every AVR, and I've changed the av pre 5 times. So that would be well over £10,000 of flagship AVR's that are now worthless.

Associate
That does make sense; as an amplifier is an amplifier is an amplifier; and good amplification should last many upgrade cycles. However, what are the advantages of using a processor vs using an AVR feeding decent amplification via the pre-outs? Surely a processor will become outdated as quickly as AVRs will? (and are more expensive to boot)

I'm not disputing that AVRs are weedy in terms of power. Of course they are; it's usually the thing they compromise on in order to get everything in the one box. But surely in terms of the processing side of things, it's more efficient to buy a new AVR (with pre-outs) compared to a new processor every upgrade cycle?

Soldato
Usually better seperation of stages and pre-outs. Higher quality parts. AV7703 has better DAC's and HDAM than the similar priced AVR afaik, better power supply etc. Much like having stereo integrated amplfiier versus stereo pre-amplifier with stereo power amplifier.

Yes that's the problem with AV pre-amps- the cost. If you had a AVR and bought AV pre-amp with the same spec, you'll find the AV pre-amp costs more.

For example the original price of the Lexicon units was insane, £12,000 for the top of the range MC-12HD EQ Balanced. But the Marantz AV770x aren't too bad, if you get previous generation, it'll be £1300 instead of £1800.

If you want to cut costs you could buy the cheapest model in the range with full set of pre-outs, use the side & rears on that AVR, then get a 3 channel for L/C/R. So when that AVR becomes out of date, replace with another mid-range AVR...or maybe a AV pre if you think time and cost is right.

£1300 for AV7703 is pretty good

Also has XLR, although at that price I don't think it's fully balanced

Back
Top Bottom