**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S9/S9 Plus Thread ****

Soldato
Bit like most apple upgrades really isn't it, I had a s8+ but couldn't get away with the finger print sensor position with the size of my hands, got a s8 which i can deal with but want a bigger screen, almost almost went iPhone x after buying the wife one for xmas but I'm hoping the s9+ will be ok, besides if its not ive got 28 days to return and its not costing me a penny either way so cant really loose

Soldato
I'm curious what people would consider a major upgrade. Compared to the s8 plus I returned last year your getting 2gb more ram.Stereo speakers. Pretty huge camera upgrade with 4k 60 and 960 slow motion. Huge single core speed upgrade on the exynos version. 64gb more base storage on the plus. It seems like they have just tryed to perfect the s8 which is no bad thing.

Associate
I liked the part where he says your feedback is important and we listen that's why we have moved the fingerprint sensor.. to another annoying as hell place afew millimeters from the old one.

Soldato
Just to play devils advocate here.. it appears to have 3 of those 4 things.. although I suspect by much better you mean like days.. like physics bending better?

I don't actually think this is designed to attract S8 owners anyway, beyond early adopters.. I mean Apple have done just fine with a tick/tock kind of thing and as I've said before.. where do you go with all screen?

Similar to cars, at the start there was all sorts of crazy then it settled down to the basic shape and layout we've had for 50+ years.

I'm afraid we're near there with phones.. they're glas and aluminium slabs running 1 of 2 operating systems so scrap it out for incremental bumps in camera quality and nonsense like siri/bixby/animoji etc

Yeah, phones have all but plateaued really. In the early years every new phone that came out was radically different from each other. From bricks, to much smaller with telescopic aerials, to stubby aerials, to no aerials, to fliphones, clam phones, slider phones, etc. Each new phone that came out actually did make the previous phone seem really dated. Not anymore though.

A standard of technology and form factor was reached a few years ago and remains today where every phone is a basically a flat rectangular pocket computer, all able to perform the same functions, and do them really well. Nothing wrong with that, it's evolved to something we all love to use. But it's now just a case of diminishing returns isn't it? For every new iteration of a Samsung or iPhone, it's a case of "we've added half a dozen new features, one or two of which might be useful to you because the others are gimmicks so we can persuade you to keep spending money, improved the battery life a bit but it'll still die sooner than you want, improved the screen resolution but you won't really notice the difference from our last phone, and added slow motion video and humorous face animations that you'll use once, maybe twice. That'll be £800 please. kthnxbai."

I've got a beautiful platinum gold S6 in almost perfect condition in my drawer doing nothing much and I'm using my metallic blue S7 Edge for everyday use. If I lost the S7 and went back to the S6, I would hardly miss the S7 because to me the S6 is nowhere near dated and still a pleasure to use. I can even make phone calls on it which is a real bonus. Next year at the renewal of my contract, I think I'm going SIM only and will no doubt continue to use my S7.

Soldato
I've got a beautiful platinum gold S6 in almost perfect condition in my drawer doing nothing much and I'm using my metallic blue S7 Edge for everyday use. If I lost the S7 and went back to the S6, I would hardly miss the S7 because to me the S6 is nowhere near dated and still a pleasure to use. I can even make phone calls on it which is a real bonus. Next year at the renewal of my contract, I think I'm going SIM only and will no doubt continue to use my S7.
For the first time ever I've gone SIM only for the reasons you gave in your post. Had an iPhone 6S Plus on a 2 year contract. Came close to ordering the X but then figured what for? Going SIM only is saving me £50 a month. Looking at it a different way, I could choose to pay £50 a month to include animated emojis in my messages or take endless studio-quality selfies to remind myself of how beautiful I'm not! :)

Associate
Gone for the single sim version as I want the use of sd, even though 128gb should be enough I have a stupid amount of photos and videos on my phone

I think you can still use an sd card instead of a second sim - though I've not checked out the S9 dual sim so could be wrong. There was even a mod for some dual sim phones where by you could use both sims and an sd card though involved a scalpel :eek:

I bought my S8 sim free nearly a year ago. I've wished I'd bought the bigger screened S8+ really. Will I buy an S9+, probably not at £869.

Associate
I'm curious what people would consider a major upgrade. Compared to the s8 plus I returned last year your getting 2gb more ram.Stereo speakers. Pretty huge camera upgrade with 4k 60 and 960 slow motion. Huge single core speed upgrade on the exynos version. 64gb more base storage on the plus. It seems like they have just tryed to perfect the s8 which is no bad thing.
Speaking of the Exynos.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12478/exynos-9810-handson-awkward-first-results

Associate
Has anyone purchased this sim free and and got any free goodies with it?. Currys are giving away a free micro sd card, that's all I can find.

Soldato
My upgrade is coming up soon, however I'm tempted to give apple a go for a year since I can upgrade every year, but only if my contract doesn't go up!

I would have thought they'd have brought CPU power up to that of the iPhone or better.

Back
Top Bottom