quick employment question (travel expenses)

Soldato
Missus has started a new job recently in mobile care.
The company (as a rule) do not pay travel expenses, the job involves the use of our own car, but the hourly rate takes this in to account and the mileage (per shift) would normally be very low, ~15 miles max, but most often less than 5 miles.

However she is being asked to travel 60 miles round trip for an all day training course, the company have said that they would offer her a company vehicle however they want to keep it on standby in case of bad weather (its a 4x4) so she will need to use her own car.

I am leaning on the side of just rolling with it, considering that its only £10 and won't be a regular request.
However should she kick up a fuss to stop this from repeating itself in future ?

what does GD think ?

Soldato
If it's not a regular request and won't cause financial hardship, I'd say just roll with it, as you don't want to annoy the new employer. Nitpicking about small travel expenses could lead to less training opportunities in the future.

Caporegime
If it's not a regular request and won't cause financial hardship, I'd say just roll with it, as you don't want to annoy the new employer. Nitpicking about small travel expenses could lead to less training opportunities in the future.
Agreed. One off, expected bad weather so exceptional circumstances. Roll with it.

Soldato
OP
of course the car is declared business use :p
its a core part of the job to be travelling around in her car between calls.

financial hardship it most definitely won't cause its about £10 worth of fuel.

Soldato
OP
you should be entitled to 45p per mile for business expenses in your personal car

https://www.gov.uk/expenses-and-benefits-business-travel-mileage/rules-for-tax

Employers don't have to pay it ;)
It is in her contract (or at least known in advance of taking the job) that they don't pay.
What wasn't made clear however is that they would need to send her on a 60 mile round trip for training.
And given that they *would* have offered her a company vehicle is the only real reason I am questioning this.
Clearly they know that asking a 60 mile round trip at her cost is a bit much.

meh I'll just tell her to let it go this time :)

Soldato
You can however claim the whole 90p or so in tax back from HMRC :p

Edit, maths fail, it's more like ~£5

Double edit: actually if she's using her car for work and not getting paid mileage then she should be able to claim the tax back on all of it, which could add up over the year

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom