Winter 2017/2018 - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I enjoy reading threads about British weather, I miss the quaintness of the discussions and the over reactions to minor fluctuations.

It's currently -15C with a real feel of -25C with the Siberian winds. A few weeks ago we had snow measuring in the meters and our summers are regularly above 35C. You can go up the local mountains though to get a nice 15C temperature drop whenever you want though.

I still like to talk about the weather though, I just deal in actual extremes now rather than minor variances.

That is exactly why we overeat and get excited 'minor fluctuations'. Our country is known for rain, rain and oh, more rain and we are always comically unprepared for times when we do get the odd bit of snow, so it's almost always a given that kids will get days off school and we'll all get days off work because the roads are so sh*te from the small flurries that happened the night before :)

I've been to Iceland and Norway where they deal with it on a daily basis, the novelty wears off pretty fast when normality continues, it's all the chaos over here that makes it funny.

Soldato
Weird today .. huge flurries lasting 10-15 min .. then sunshine . But was in Rugby this morning and in the 10 mins it took me to drive outa Rugby to the M6 2 lanes were covered and only the slow lane was in use and visability down to 100ft . By the time i hit J16 on the M1 there was no sun and lovely sunshine .. They say its gonna hits us tomorrow but we shall see

Caporegime
Yeah, but what about the weather conditions?
Fnaaar!

Is that what you told your girlfriend 5 inches was?
Fnnnnaaarrrr!

#nobgags :D

Simple solution to others claims of snow depth.

Take their measurement and halve it. Far more accurate IME. :p

Also there’s talk of blizzard conditions. Is there a lot of gale force winds at the moment too?;)

Caporegime
That is exactly why we overeat and get excited 'minor fluctuations'. Our country is known for rain, rain and oh, more rain and we are always comically unprepared for times when we do get the odd bit of snow, so it's almost always a given that kids will get days off school and we'll all get days off work because the roads are so sh*te from the small flurries that happened the night before :)

I've been to Iceland and Norway where they deal with it on a daily basis, the novelty wears off pretty fast when normality continues, it's all the chaos over here that makes it funny.

This country don’t rain that much, it drizzles, to experience proper rain you need to go near the equator, places like Bangladesh where it floods, you get landslides and trees uprooted are common occurrences.

This country don’t get extreme heat or extreme cold, no hurricanes, no volcanos and no big enough earth quakes to even mention to the Japanese.

Yet we make the loudest noise, everyone must think we are a bunch of pansies.

Soldato
Yes we finally got some in southampton..absolutely nailing it down, blizzard like :D:D

38707149800_b1aa14e9b7_b.jpg

38707153170_5f65708107_b.jpg

At work, in Shirley, we barely had any flakes falling between ~1000 and 1400.

But as I cycled home on studded tyres, the amount of snow that was sticking on the roadside increased as I headed for Witts Hill, apparently it was quite heavy in Bitterne for a while.

However, the worrying thing is that the snow on the road was melted, but not shifting. One of my regular hill rep climbs, already had some thin ice on the road. I reckon we are going to have black/sheet ice forming overnight between Thornhill and Southampton city centre... I hope I'm wrong.

Man of Honour
We've had two showers of very light powdery snow that hardly lasted any time at all and was just drifting not pitching nothing more :( BBC are constantly changing between light snow, sleet, rain for Thurs/Friday for us.

This country don’t rain that much, it drizzles, to experience proper rain you need to go near the equator, places like Bangladesh where it floods, you get landslides and trees uprooted are common occurrences.

This country don’t get extreme heat or extreme cold, no hurricanes, no volcanos and no big enough earth quakes to even mention to the Japanese.

Yet we make the loudest noise, everyone must think we are a bunch of pansies.

Sure not quite the rainy season in some parts of Asia, etc. but we've had some reasonably notable rain around where I live in Somerset over the last few years - some of its been on the news with the 2014 flooding, etc. there have been the odd days of monsoon like rain in amongst the couple of weeks to a couple of months of sustained heavy rain we've had. Now we are off the peak of the last El Nino it will probably ease off until the next.

Also the stuff up around Cumbria, etc. couple of years back.

Last edited:
Soldato
At work, in Shirley, we barely had any flakes falling between ~1000 and 1400.

But as I cycled home on studded tyres, the amount of snow that was sticking on the roadside increased as I headed for Witts Hill, apparently it was quite heavy in Bitterne for a while.

However, the worrying thing is that the snow on the road was melted, but not shifting. One of my regular hill rep climbs, already had some thin ice on the road. I reckon we are going to have black/sheet ice forming overnight between Thornhill and Southampton city centre... I hope I'm wrong.

Yep, I'm towards bottom of West End, near Haskins. It was mental for about 30 minutes, was so heavy and the wind was really throwing it around. Yet my wife works 4 miles away and she didn't get a thing.

BBC weather flip flopping around every 6 hours or so, now saying its heavy snow for Thursday and Friday for West End.

39626186965_d9a66bf37b_c.jpg

Soldato
Yep, I'm towards bottom of West End, near Haskins. It was mental for about 30 minutes, was so heavy and the wind was really throwing it around. Yet my wife works 4 miles away and she didn't get a thing.

BBC weather flip flopping around every 6 hours or so, now saying its heavy snow for Thursday and Friday for West End.

39626186965_d9a66bf37b_c.jpg

Must be around the corner from me then :p

Man of Honour
We finally have some pitching snow - all 2mm of it :s

It was kind of bizarre - white out for like 30 seconds and then gone leaving a fine covering of snow everywhere which no doubt will turn to nasty ice overnight (though only melting where vehicles have been on the roads).

Soldato
What car?

Probably a Sinclair C4. :D

Its cold here in Liverpool about -1.5 to -2c and dropping, I have the heating on full wack.

I would love a quilt day tomorrow but have stuff to do. :(

Am setting up a care line for quilt abuse in these weathers. If you know of a quilt being abused call "Quilt Line on 0800 7542638" All calls will be anonymous! :D

Turning a 13.5 tog to a 10 tog weather. :p

Man of Honour
Those looking for spring are going to love the latest model updates - showing the low losing out and cold, but not quite as cold, weather continuing well into the middle of March.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom