• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So I just sold my 1080 Ti for £700

Soldato
The hire cost analogy isn't really making sense to me. It's a massive downgrade and for how long?

I want to enjoy my PC, and if I didn't want to spend £750 on the GPU then I wouldn't have bought one in the first place.

Each to their own I suppose.

It doesn't make sense to me either especially when nobody knows when the new cards are coming or what their performance/price is going to be.

I buy the best card I can afford to play games, I don't worry about the resale value and I definitely wouldn't go back to a slower card.

Associate
I've not been keeping up to date with the graphics card situation, but it's a crazy time. It's a good idea to sell your current card and wait for the next generation.

I'm tempted to sell my 1080 strix advanced edition.

Soldato
It doesn't make sense to me either especially when nobody knows when the new cards are coming or what their performance/price is going to be.

I buy the best card I can afford to play games, I don't worry about the resale value and I definitely wouldn't go back to a slower card.

The hire cost analogy isn't really making sense to me. It's a massive downgrade and for how long?

I want to enjoy my PC, and if I didn't want to spend £750 on the GPU then I wouldn't have bought one in the first place.

Each to their own I suppose.

^^^This.

Soldato
hopefully it doesn't backfire, I done the same with my 980 Ti waiting for the 1080 to come out and when I seen the prices I got a 980 Ti again :p I can't see the next gen flagship being £680...surely?... -_-

Flagship (full fat chip) will be well over £1000 (I'm going for £1500 for the new titan)

The mid range cards (cut down chip) 2080 or 1180, will be 800 plus at least

Associate
Seems quite a large gamble both in terms of time and financial pay off. It's not yet known when they will be released, for what price and at what performance.

The asset has been rising over the period. Assuming the new 11XX series will be subject to the same price pressures. You will still have paid depreciation of the order several hundred pounds (new 1080 ti £900 ish) and will be forced to pay retail or higher to replace it (albeit for likely increased performance).

The original price you paid at that point is irrelevant. What's more important is current new price vs. your sale price. Unless you think the market will cool off in which case you may be slightly better off. With continued pressure on DDR prices for new mobile phones and continued mining, seems unlikely.

All the above is of course not relevant if you would have sold anyway just before the release and bought the latest. In which case most likely you will be better off.

Back
Top Bottom