• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Associate
As much work as it would be I think it may be time for nvidia to rewrite the driver from the ground up. Optimise it more and remove as much legacy crap as possible as the drivers really are getting worse on each release.

The control panel needs a rewrite for a start.

Associate
As much work as it would be I think it may be time for nvidia to rewrite the driver from the ground up. Optimise it more and remove as much legacy crap as possible as the drivers really are getting worse on each release.

Completely agree - it's a mess, especially the control panel UI hitching every time you switch menus!

Associate

Speaking as someone who recently switched from an AMD card to a 1080, I couldn't agree more. I really miss the slick AMD Radeon Settings. I couldn't believe how antiquated the nvidia control panel was.

Permabanned

Yeah, it does have a Windows 1.0 feel about it.

Soldato
I'm still using the 378.92 drivers which are best part of a year old. All the latest releases lose me a good 1500 marks in benchmark programs.
Haven't tried the latest 391.01 drivers yet, but probably will give them a go this weekend.

Soldato
The latest one finally fixed an issue for me where World of Warcraft would randomly start hitching up every few seconds (in a rhythmic fashion). It would sometimes run completely fine, but then start doing it and continue doing so until a complete reboot of the system. All other games ran just fine. The last previous driver that didn't exhibit the same behavior was 388.13 from October. I even reinstalled both Windows 10 and the game over it, but the problem remained on a completely fresh install.

V F

V F

Soldato
I'm still using the 378.92 drivers which are best part of a year old. All the latest releases lose me a good 1500 marks in benchmark programs.
Haven't tried the latest 391.01 drivers yet, but probably will give them a go this weekend.

How can you be on 378.92 with a 1080 Ti? 381.89 starts with the 1080 Ti.

Man of Honour

I'm back on 372.70 despite some newer games kicking up a fuss and having to fake them into thinking I'm using newer - strangely they just work despite not having updates for some games and have none of the issues of newer drivers hah or the slight performance drop in some drivers since.

(That and I hate the new Shadowplay and its easier to stick with the old version with this driver).

Though with the update to Spotify today things don't seem happy if I have hardware acceleration enabled in Spotify with Firefox running - results in the cursor jumping around like its at 5fps - dunno if its related to the ongoing issue with Pascal cards and HW acceleration in Firefox which I've had no problem with before.

Last edited:
Soldato
Speaking as someone who recently switched from an AMD card to a 1080, I couldn't agree more. I really miss the slick AMD Radeon Settings. I couldn't believe how antiquated the nvidia control panel was.

You forgot to mention the FPS cap slider on the driver. Something Nvidia is missing and affecting greatly those using sub 120hz monitors with GTX1060 upwards, and all the laptops. Where the lack of real gsync forces the usage of vsync with big input lag.
Otherwise there is tearing. (yes with gsync on, in laptops -_-)

Soldato
You forgot to mention the FPS cap slider on the driver. Something Nvidia is missing and affecting greatly those using sub 120hz monitors with GTX1060 upwards, and all the laptops. Where the lack of real gsync forces the usage of vsync with big input lag.
Otherwise there is tearing. (yes with gsync on, in laptops -_-)
Doesn't Rivatuner do this?

Soldato
im getting a lot of nvidia driver error reports in event viewer id 13. Using latest version, which version is the most stable driver at present.
I seem to see frame drops every so often in ARK and like mini pauses in BF1.

The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3
Graphics Exception: ESR 0x404600=0x80000001

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Trying 387.92 driver
I recently bought a 1080Ti and am getting this Event ID 13 error as well since then. It happens randomly when I'm just browsing or watching YouTube/Twitch, haven't played much since I got the card but when I have played it been just fine. So was wondering if you been able to sort your issue ?? I am on the latest drivers, but if the 387.92 is working well for you, I wont mind using those. Bit irritating to have all 3 screens suddenly go black on me and then flickering back to life randomly.

V F

V F

Soldato
I recently bought a 1080Ti and am getting this Event ID 13 error as well since then. It happens randomly when I'm just browsing or watching YouTube/Twitch, haven't played much since I got the card but when I have played it been just fine. So was wondering if you been able to sort your issue ?? I am on the latest drivers, but if the 387.92 is working well for you, I wont mind using those. Bit irritating to have all 3 screens suddenly go black on me and then flickering back to life randomly.

The drivers crash with Firefox Quantum and twitch usually. I had to go back to 385.41 for it to stop about a month ago.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31630327

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31586840

Soldato
The drivers crash with Firefox Quantum and twitch usually. I had to go back to 385.41 for it to stop about a month ago.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31630327

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31586840
Thanks but I not using the Firefix Quantum but the Firefix 56.0.2 (64-Bit) still. Didn't like the look of Quantum when it come out. And using Opera to watch Twitch with. But it happened again a couple times yesterday and this morning so called the shop and they said it sounded like a faulty card and asked if I could come in with it so they could check it, which I did. Thanks for your reply though, much appreciated ! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom