The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Soldato
i did compare both as best as I could before buying, the 16-35 is on another level of sharpness tbh, it's very very sharp - coming from the world of Rodenstock HR Digarons I have quite high standards :D I did really like the 12-24 I tried, but I felt that for the most part 12mm is just a little too wide, and so I'd be using it around 18-20mm most of the time, in which case the higher IQ of the 16-35 suited me more,

Sounds like you have a bad copy marz, the one I looked at wasn't that bad in the corners - but not as good as the 16-35

Soldato
I agree the 12-24 is excellent................... if you're viewing your photos at Fit to Screen sizes.
If you zoom in to 100% and 200%, then it's excrement, not excellent.
There's soft corners, right through to the tele end being totally soft.
Mine's currently at Sony being "looked at", being "fixed" would be too optimistic a word.
Something wrong with your copy as mine is Sharp

Soldato
I’ve just been reading up and watching some YouTube videos on this new camera - the Sony A7 iii.

Wow, this is the camera we have all been waiting for !!!
I’ve been using the Canon digital system for 14 years and I’m now jumping ship to Sony. Best of all, my Canon mount lenses work with full functionality on the A7iii with the Sigma MC-11 convertor.

A7 iii specs - basically the A7R iii, 20mp less pixels and A9 focus for £1.5k less :)
- 24mp full frame
- 15 stop dynamic range
- same 693 AF system as A9
- 10fps
- 5 axis in body image stabilisation - 5 stops
- 4k video using full width of the sensor
- improved battery life - 710 shots
- dual card
- joystick control

Price - approx £2k

Last edited:
Soldato
It looks incredible. I think I'm going to buy it.
I currently have a G85 but this is just such a killer deal. That much tech at 2k is incredible.
Clear image zoom should also help me for the early days when I'm not going to be throwing too much cash around on lenses. The low light performance is just incredible and will help get many many shots I'd otherwise miss. I'm struggling to really find any negatives at the £2k price point.

The a6500 is still 1-1.3k, the A73 is 2k!!!! For £700, you get full frame, no over heating, dual card slots, better AF, wider lens selection, better/weather proofing, a more ergonomic design, better/the best low light performance yet apart from the a7s series...

I've recrntly watched Jason Lanier's youtube video with Canon adapted glass and it worked great.

I'm tempted to keep my G85 as a selfie mirror and for when I need a small zoom lens as the profile of MFT is still incredible.

I was previously considering Canon but I can't see myself going there as I like both photos and videos, and Canon seems set on holding back most of their camera from that perspective. Also I much prefer an EVF.

Soldato
Why do they keep putting different speeds in the 2 card slots?

WHY ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?? Goddammit Why ?!

Otherwise awesome camera, I might just buy one of these.
The buffer on this is huge
- 177 JPEG frames
- 89 compressed RAW
- 40 uncompressed RAW files

That’s enough for all non pro-sports users.

I've recrntly watched Jason Lanier's youtube video with Canon adapted glass and it worked great.
I watched that video last night. I made my mind up there and then :)

Soldato
I've not pre-ordered it but will pick it up from the cheapest site around launch day.

In terms of lenses - I currently have a Canon 135L and Sigma 24A and will be using these on the A7 with the Sigma MC11 converter. Over time I will swap the Canon 135 for the Sigma 135A in Sony E mount and also get the new Sigma 70A Macro lens E mount.

Soldato
I didn't think I would be the only one doing this! It really does look great.
Also if anyone is over in the states on holiday the $2200 for the body+ kit lens only works out to about £1600. Now that's a bargain!

Soldato
.why can’t they make it the same?
Probably down to cost - the more expensive A7R3 has dual TypeII.

The buffer has nothing to do with card slot speed
They are linked because the more shots the buffer holds the less likely you are to be waiting for slow(er) card data transfers.

i.e. If the buffer was only good enough for 5 shots then you would be reliant on a fast card transfer to clear it. If the buffer holds 100+ shots then it’s unlikely the card speed transfer will be a bottle neck.

For sure it’s nice to have quick file transfer but it’s not a show stopper with a large file buffer.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I'm really thinking about selling my A6500 for one of these, I also inquired at my local camera store today and they are expecting stock within the next week or two.

Associate
Looks like an amazing camera. I had been saving for a Nikon D500 (or D850 if my saving proved especially fruitful), but it's very difficult to ignore this.

Don't be fooled by the low cost of the camera ; whilst it is tempting remember to factor in the cost of lenses. The top tier Sony lenses are very expensive indeed with some QC issues.

Back
Top Bottom