So is Sir Wiggo a cheat then?

Caporegime
Thought about opening this in the pedal powered section but it's not frequented by many and there have been a few topics in GD on drug use in sport.

Looking at the timing of the therapeutic use exemptions, his performances and what he had claimed it was being used for, something just doesn't add up in my opinion.

Man of Honour
I haven't really followed the story much. But as I understand it he was using a drug which is permitted. Therefore he's not a cheat. You can bet everyone is using similar legal drugs too.

Associate
Probably, but I’m definitely one to get out my tinfoil hat when it comes to PEDs in top level athletes. I believe there’s a huge proportion of top athletes in these sort of sports using them so I’m never surprised anymore.

Caporegime
Meh. This topic is a minefield. Easy to slip up. You could be unlucky in that something got into you (medication or whatever) or could be trying to evade the system and same end result.

Then get gender issues.

Feels like sport in general is unravelling as we question 'fair'. May as well have the drug fuelled Olympics or just give up on trying to make it fair as there' aalways a way to cut it to say 'its not fair'

Soldato
I always wondered when performance enhancing drugs actually became an issue.

The original Greek professional Olympians would have had no problem at all and indeed used narcotics widely to gain an advantage (Particularly pain killers)

Even in the 19th, early 20th century I done think it was considered an issue. Long distance runners were routinely topped up with Brandy during their races for instance (Though I cannot think that this would have helped much :p). Since pretty much everybody was permanently stoned in the 19th century anyway I have no doubt that other narcotic use such as cocaine was pretty routine.

Then all of the sudden everything changed.

I can think of some reasons for doing so, but the level playing field thing doesn't really wash.

Why is it any more unfair to use steroids than it is to use a specially designed and built ultra-light graphine bicycle?

Or fancy trainers?

Or training at altitude?

Or whatever?

Caporegime
They just need to open these events to any drug use the athletes want. That way we get rid of all the cheating and hopefully some of them take shrooms or whatever which will boost viewer statistics overnight.

Soldato
It is known what Wiggins did and it is not against the rules. Therefore it is not cheating. I'm amazed that our hollier than though politicians have the gaul to question this.
I suspect this is more a dig at Sky !!
Too much money in Sport making success so important. What happened to 'it's the taking part that counts'.
Andi.

Caporegime
OP
I haven't really followed the story much. But as I understand it he was using a drug which is permitted. Therefore he's not a cheat. You can bet everyone is using similar legal drugs too.

Ah, I see, I thought it was only permitted if it was actually needed at the time, as that's why he had to request a therapeutic use exemption for each time it was used.

A little more digging and it seems asthma is fairly common in cyclists as it seems it is induced when riding in cold, dry air. So I'm assuming it's just the morals of it all people are questioning and whether the drug that seems to increase performance is actually needed at each of these events.

Commissario
I'm amazed this is in the news at all, as @Hades says you can bet that many athletes/professionals are using drugs that are permitted which may give them an advantage.

Soldato
Ah, I see, I thought it was only permitted if it was actually needed at the time, as that's why he had to request a therapeutic use exemption for each time it was used.

You are both in part correct, if you have something causing illness and you need to take something to help you continue then you can apply for a TUE. A TUE is permitted if it is actually needed, the question mark is whether what Wiggins took was in fact needed as requesting a TUE and taking something which you dont really need for its secondary effects is construed as cheating.

No rules have been broken but its gaming the system

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think he broke the letter of the law like Lance Armstrong for example but it is pretty clear that SKY and hence Bradley have been pushing the limits of what is acceptable with TUE's and the like.

Soldato
I'm amazed this is in the news at all, as @Hades says you can bet that many athletes/professionals are using drugs that are permitted which may give them an advantage.

Its only becasue cycling has had such a murky past and its constantly trying to work towards a clean sport that these things keep dragging it backwards

Soldato
Its only becasue cycling has had such a murky past and its constantly trying to work towards a clean sport that these things keep dragging it backwards
It doesn't help that every individual or team who set themselves up as the 'clean ones' then turn out to be cheating! If SKY Wiggins and Froome didn't bang on about there clean approach and how great they are all the time this would be attracting significantly less interest. Bradley's use of TUE's is at the very least highly suspicious!

Soldato
You are both in part correct, if you have something causing illness and you need to take something to help you continue then you can apply for a TUE. A TUE is permitted if it is actually needed, the question mark is whether what Wiggins took was in fact needed as requesting a TUE and taking something which you dont really need for its secondary effects is construed as cheating.

No rules have been broken but its gaming the system

My problem with it is, if you have asthma and need medication then you are not the best natural athelete competing. I think the rules need changing to reflect this.

Back
Top Bottom