Gin recommendations?

Soldato
I’ve never tried it, but I’m not convinced it will be worth the hassle. Let someone else do the work, as I suspect that using cheap and nasty vodka will just give nasty gin.

Easily down with some cheap vodka and only takes a few days. We made up some cracking infusions over the festive period.

Last edited:
Soldato
Chaps, I've been invited to a wifes friends place for a BBQ this weekend. All I know is the man of the house has taken a liking to Gin and I'd like to buy a bottle. I know nothing about gin though so could someone spec me a bottle that I could purchase from Waitrose on the way there? Looking to spend £25 tops ideally. Cheers.

I've seen Opihr mentioned on this thread. Would that suffice? :o

Commissario
OP
For around £28 you can get Martin Miller's from supermarkets which I think is a lot better than Opihr. It's worth stretching that few extra quid for brownie points.

Caporegime
I came in to suggest Ophir too. Very nice. Recommending a gin nowadays is a bit like recommending a whiskey. There's so much choice and they're all so different!

Gin is just flavoured vodka.

Vodka is just ethanol + water.

Essentially you are paying more doesn't mean you are getting anything better for it. Whereas with whisky the better ones tend to cost more but it isn't an exact science.

tl:dr; spend £15-£25 and you should be fine. any more and you are throwing money away. any less and it's likely an inferior product.

Chaps, I've been invited to a wifes friends place for a BBQ this weekend. All I know is the man of the house has taken a liking to Gin and I'd like to buy a bottle. I know nothing about gin though so could someone spec me a bottle that I could purchase from Waitrose on the way there? Looking to spend £25 tops ideally. Cheers.

I've seen Opihr mentioned on this thread. Would that suffice? :o

Gin is just flavoured vodka. No need to spend any more than £20 tbh for a decent bottle.

Soldato
^wrong.

I can taste a night and day difference between an 'off the shelf' supermarket gin (Gordons, Bombay etc) and some of my £40-50 bottles.

I appreciate that's your opinion, but you're wrong to advise others based on it.

Caporegime
^wrong.

I can taste a night and day difference between an 'off the shelf' supermarket gin (Gordons, Bombay etc) and some of my £40-50 bottles.

I appreciate that's your opinion, but you're wrong to advise others based on it.

Of course you can it's flavoured vodka.

It's no better in quality though.

I could tell the difference between rasberri stoli and rasberry ciroc and rasberry absolut.

However the vodka would be the same quality. So it's not better.

Soldato
However the vodka would be the same quality. So it's not better.
What's to say the "vodka" used in one brand of gin isn't better quality than another? Or are you dismissing all variances of vodka as well? :confused:

Like with all things, there's a bunch of production methods, ingredients, even packaging etc. that can be done differently to warrant a higher price.

Back
Top Bottom