The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Soldato
It appears that apps cannot be loaded to this camera, and therefore some features, such as intervalometer, are missing. There's no real excuse to leave these features out on a £2k camera - they're pretty much hygiene factors these days.

Associate
I'd be very tempted by the A7 iii, but I think I'm too heavily invested in my Olympus gear to sell it all off and start again (plus the higher end lenses for the Sony are pretty large). I'm sure it'll be a great camera though.

Soldato
@aoaaron if you do decide to sell the G80/G85 in the members market. I'd be interested :)

Haha if I ever get my post count up! TBH the G85 is beautiful. I think MFT is still REALLY advantageous if you buy zooms. The 35-100mm f2.8 zoom which is a 70-200mm equivalent for <£500 is crazy good value when you look at its full frame alternatives for that kind of zoom range. The 42.5mm f1.7 for the price it sometimes goes on sales for (250ish) is also amazing value alongside the 25mm (around £150).

As a walk around casual camera, its great. I actually have it in my work bag everyday.

The A73 is expensive AF once you look into the glass side of things. An 85mm is going to be close to £560, the 50mm prime should be okay at around £290 (although its renowned for being a bit average with most people opting for the 55 which is £750), 28mm f2 for £380.

Soldato
Watched that video!

A73 is really really enticing me at present. If it had the selfie flip screen, I would have already sold off my panny collection.

The only issue is the lens prices. They are so high! I'm thinking of waiting for a little while to see what the tamron f2.8 is priced at but I think its probably the system I'll be getting next. I don't see Canon giving us a 4k 120fps full frame camera at £2k in the next year. Panasonic are never going to fix their autofocus and Fuji are looking VERY overpriced now.

Soldato
Soldato
Isn't the 85mm and the 55mm about it?
The Sigma Art lenses all look quite expensive TBH.
The Sigma lenses are good value when compared to what is out there. Sure you can pay a couple of hundred for a lens with poor optics & build and slow motorised focus but when spending £2k+ on a camera body it's not what you do.

Associate
Yup probably true. If I was buying now I’d go for the A7iii. Looks like a very nice package.

I'm thinking the same, the A7 III will get even cheaper in the not too distant future and it's supposed to have its own advantages (A9 AF system etc), so unless you really need the extra MP it's a tough sell to pay 50% more for the A7R III.

Back
Top Bottom