So is Sir Wiggo a cheat then?

Associate
Its ridiculous that when clenbutorol is mentioned its for helping asthma patients (whilst true), but in this day and age, id say at least 50% of young guys who go to the gym have used it. even top tier body builders. It is used as a weight loss 'supplement' hell, i had no idea it was for asthma originally!

Soldato
50% who train have used clen? Nah, not unless your gym is some super hardcore bodybuilding gym. It's not a good thing to use considering it can cause enlargement of the heart

Caporegime
Its ridiculous that when clenbutorol is mentioned its for helping asthma patients (whilst true), but in this day and age, id say at least 50% of young guys who go to the gym have used it. even top tier body builders. It is used as a weight loss 'supplement' hell, i had no idea it was for asthma originally!
We live in an era when doctors prescribe drugs for everything, literally at the drop of a hat. Online, websites are advocating this and that supplement, this and that additive... Hardly surprising that people everywhere are dosing up on whatever they can get their hands on.

Frankly I don't trust anyone enough to take anything that's not related to fighting some illness or other.

Caporegime
Yeah we're both saying the same thing I think.

Only I would say that without evidence that he cheated, the "possibility that he is a cheat" applies equally to all the athletes. We shouldn't say just of Wiggins that "he could be a cheat". It's not right to single him out as "possibly a cheat" when there is as much evidence for him cheating as any of the other athletes.

He's surely not the only one to have used TUEs?

e: No, he isn't. Apparently it's normal/common for pro-cyclists to have TUEs for asthma.

Question is why can someone can compete if they need a tue?

Last edited:
Soldato
as the report says, absence/loss of sky records from the supplier or the doseage of the drug, or,
submitting performance/nutrition/weight records for independant review, show a negligence.
Another team should voluntarily provide such data for independant reviews to show a lead.

The report does not seem to implicate the (fancybear exposed) TUE users of salbutamol/salmeterol, which were employed by Nicola Adams / Laura Trott, so blinkered in that respect ?
SAlbuterol stimulates the nervous system and muscles. The medication can cause rapid heart beat or tachycardia, elevate your blood pressure and cause irregular heart beats or arrhythmias. Because of the stimulatory affects, some people use albuterol for weight loss. There many bodybuilding websites that feature instructions and discussions with members on how to use albuterol for contest preparations and fat loss. The stimulation of the nervous system is believed to be the reason for increased fat loss with albuterol use, according to medication and symptoms website eMedTV

Associate
I have never seen it used by respiratory patients in RoI, Australia or Britain (I'm a nurse). And I spent time on a high dependency respiratory unit. We do not consider it to have any legitimate use. From what I remember it was invented by a govt run company in Eastern Europe (Ukraine???) during the communist era as a performance enhancing drug for athletes. Asthma is an excuse they use in an attempt to legitimise its use.
I'm amazed it took them so long in the sports world to ban its use. It is a class c drug under the misuse of drugs act & cannot be legally prescribed in the UK or USA. People get around that by bringing it in for 'personal use' no prescription. Athletes using it know exactly what they are doing, cheating.

Soldato
Cheat or not it's basically saying to me if you have asthma don't try to better yourself in professional sports, you'll get called a cheat for your hard work.

If he is cheating then that sucks

If he isn't then it sucks too.

Associate
Cheat or not it's basically saying to me if you have asthma don't try to better yourself in professional sports, you'll get called a cheat for your hard work.

If he is cheating then that sucks

If he isn't then it sucks too.
I disagree, plenty of professional athletes have asthma & follow the rules.

Associate
50% who train have used clen? Nah, not unless your gym is some super hardcore bodybuilding gym. It's not a good thing to use considering it can cause enlargement of the heart

Nah, i've trained at 100's of different gyms across the world, hardcore, commercial. They all have their groups of young lads using all substances. Clen is massive as its not seen as a steroid so your not technically on 'gear', It is relatively cheap too

Soldato
I thought he did follow the rules though.

if he did then why did the paperwork mysteriously disappear. This is no different to the way Armstrong started covering stuff up. Strip him of his knighthood he is a disgrace and from his shifty interview its clear he has something to hide, as do Sky, which is why they sacked off all the paperwrok. Probably hiding roids in his sideburns.................

Soldato
Question is why can someone can compete if they need a tue?

Because you'd wipe out the careers of a lot of elite level athletes if you changed this. A lot of pro-cyclists develop exercise induced asthma and most of the TUEs they have offer zero performance benefits other than restoring their lung capacity to what it would have been otherwise. The Wiggins one is dubious as the drug he had a TUE for had a known side effect of burning fat very efficiently and you could argue that other asthma treatments were available without that side effect. Chris Froome's current issues on the other hand are ridiculous. The UCI has a limit on salbutamol which has zero performance enhancing benefits whatsoever. It's crazy.

Caporegime
Because you'd wipe out the careers of a lot of elite level athletes if you changed this. A lot of pro-cyclists develop exercise induced asthma and most of the TUEs they have offer zero performance benefits other than restoring their lung capacity to what it would have been otherwise. The Wiggins one is dubious as the drug he had a TUE for had a known side effect of burning fat very efficiently and you could argue that other asthma treatments were available without that side effect. Chris Froome's current issues on the other hand are ridiculous. The UCI has a limit on salbutamol which has zero performance enhancing benefits whatsoever. It's crazy.

Do they develop asthma or do they develop asthma so that they can use tue's though?

Back
Top Bottom