New Toyota Supra formally announced

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Which one ?

RC-F, but more notably the LC500. Don't think even the Germans could beat the /refined/ rumble of that thing. And unlike the British high performance V8s, it doesn't obnoxiously pop and crackle nearly 100% of the time just driving normally either.

Skip to 2:04 onwards.

Soldato
Shame the cars built around the engine are so poor...

Comfy GT... OK... maybe the RC F fits the bill... but for the same price, there are multiple better options.

There not, they are brilliant cars.

People have such a skewed view of cars, particularly in the UK. "If it's not Germanic, then it must be rubbish".

I'll take the Lexus over all the competition.

Permabanned
There not, they are brilliant cars.

People have such a skewed view of cars, particularly in the UK. "If it's not Germanic, then it must be rubbish".

I'll take the Lexus over all the competition.

It's soft and tends towards understeer when you want to have fun... it's incredidbly badly setup... a big engined V8 needs better balance. It's a very poor vehicle.

They also have this weird hybrid CVT gearbox which is one of the worst gearboxes I've ever had the displeasure of using.

Soldato
It's soft and tends towards understeer when you want to have fun... it's incredidbly badly setup... a big engined V8 needs better balance. It's a very poor vehicle.

They also have this weird hybrid CVT gearbox which is one of the worst gearboxes I've ever had the displeasure of using.

It's a GT and not an out and out 'sports car'.

The reviews I have seen have praised it and it has surprised on track.

The gearbox has been praised too.

It does exactly what its been built and marketed to do. Might not be for everyones 'tastes' however...

Worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnciAbQuuxI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci_ESngxFEY

Soldato

Yea well Audis are hard (poor damping) and also understeer horrifically, even the part time awd ones. But no one seems to complain to much about that :p

For mechanical build quality, I'd take a Lexus over any German car any day. They last forever and are far more reliable.

Last edited:
Permabanned

It does exactly what its been built and marketed to do. Might not be for everyones 'tastes' however...

Worth watching:

I'll check those out later when I'm home... but those are the LC and I was talking about the RC F... I haven't had a chance to try the LC... but the gearbox puts me off so much I am not even interested in trying it.

It looks really nice... I wanted to like the RC F but didn't... I suspect the LC will be the same and I know I already love the DB11... so think it will be an easy win.

The DB11 manages to do GT and sportiness well together & doesn't understeer all over the place...

Yea well Audis are hard (poor damping) and also understeer horrifically, even the part time awd ones. But no one seems to complain to much about that :p

For mechanical build quality, I'd take a Lexus over any German car any day. They last forever and are far more reliable.

I don't like Audis either... although I've yet to try the V10 R8

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato

IIRC the Hybrid uses the CVT but the V8 uses a 10 speed automatic.

Soldato
I'll check those out later when I'm home... but those are the LC and I was talking about the RC F... I haven't had a chance to try the LC... but the gearbox puts me off so much I am not even interested in trying it.

It looks really nice... I wanted to like the RC F but didn't... I suspect the LC will be the same and I know I already love the DB11... so think it will be an easy win.

The DB11 manages to do GT and sportiness well together & doesn't understeer all over the place...

Ah my bad, was reading LC for some reason.

The RC seems to have some flaws but people still praise its character and drive. Main issue seems to be the weight.

Permabanned
IIRC the Hybrid uses the CVT but the V8 uses a 10 speed automatic.

The box they call a 10 speed is actually a 4 speed box mated to a CVT to emulate 10 gears.

Looks like the RC F comes with the 8-speed proper gearbox.

The LC is listed as having a 10 speed, but unsure if it's the same as the hybrid or not.

I'm surprised about the 8-speed in the RC F, I didn't like it so had assumed it was the same funky CVT nastiness.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It is not the same gearbox, the LC500 has a 10 speed gearbox made by Aisin.

Lexus say that gears 2, 3 and 4 are very close and it's been engineered to give the same sort of rythm you might get with a manual gearbox.

Soldato
The higher gears are all overdrives and cruising gears, 3rd gear alone maxes to 87mph, 2nd 67mph. The 10 speed on the V8 LC is all new. The 4speed hybrid cvt auto is on the hybrid versions, works in conjunction with the electric motors.

Soldato
Wait so it's a BMW in Toyota clothing?

Not sure what to think of this, it looks cool, but calling it a Supra is a bit heretic. One of the coolest things about the Supra was it beat the **** out of the likes of BMW and even gave the likes of Ferrari a run for their money, all with a (relatively) modest price tag.

OcUK Staff

Worth watching:

I looked at RC Carbon and LC500 Sport Plus as an alternative to the Mustang. I dismissed the RCF pretty immediately due to older gear box and just not liking it so much. The LC500 in person is very marmite, from some angles I loved it, but from others it just looked odd, but one thing guaranteed is nothing else looks like the LC500 on the road. I shall start with the good stuff, the interior is amazing, way better put together and much higher quality than BMW and even Audi, but to me I get the car is a GT but its also trying to be a sporty GT and as such it came across to me that the car is trying to tick too many boxes. The 10 speed gear box is good, responsive and makes great blips on downshifts. Engine is quite a peach too, but needs to be revved due to the weight of the car.

Problem for me with LC500 was it was SLOW, even with the fast 10 speed box its a 5s to 60 car. Then in Sports Plus specification it was nearly 90k, though Lexus will discount them to close to 80k, but I was comparing it against a 2018 Mustang and it just failed to impress. Over £30,000 more, around 250kg heavier, also the Coyote gen3 engine is better, a lot more available torque across the whole power range and revs even higher than the Lexus motor. Lexus 10 speed makes nicer noises, though the Ford/GM 10 speed shifts faster. Of course the Lexus is in another world on the interior, though the 18 Mustang digital cluster is nicer.

If money is not a real issue or depreciation and your main plus points are having a super rare car that is incredibly well bolted together with a stunning interior and makes a good noise the LC500 is a good car.
But if your more performance orientated for me the 2018 Mustang even with its poorer chassis but with mag ride is a more fun car handling wise and its a quicker cars, 1/4 mile on an A10 Mustang is like 12s dead, whereas LC500 is around 13.5s which is a big performance delta.
Plus I enjoy modding, Mustang has huge potential, Lexus on the other hand well forget that.

For me the Lexus is very much a GT, the sports part and performance part is minimal, of course to some it maybe amazing but it really depends what your used too and your priorities and for me its more about performance, every day use ability and sound/rarity.

The other car to consider is the Alfa Quaddroflfofodkjhflkjfsdlkjflkdsjfls whatever they call it, that is super quick, will absolutely embarrass the Lexus and is quicker than 2018 Mustang too, also handles nicely, the downsides on the Alfa being reliability and residuals as value wise they are getting hammered but at 50k second hand with 2yr warranty are worth considering.

There is no one real perfect car, Ford has the engine, reliability and value, Alfa has the handling, Lexus has the interior and rarity.

For me the F-Type was the car never considered but it won me over, admittedly I had to go used to get the F-Type I want (SVR) but at the same time I've saved myself a huge chunk of depreciation by doing so (40-50k) by getting one in quite a desirable specification for 80k and I can tell you its a car that can play all the cards, supercar, GT, sports car, it is a brilliant thing and even better it is British and it is nice to support the British car industry which definitely seems to be on the up with what Jaguar and Mclaren are doing. :)

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
The higher gears are all overdrives and cruising gears, 3rd gear alone maxes to 87mph, 2nd 67mph. The 10 speed on the V8 LC is all new. The 4speed hybrid cvt auto is on the hybrid versions, works in conjunction with the electric motors.

This is the one thing I find annoying about my SVR. Their flagship performance car, yet the just left the gearing standard, so even though its got 8 gears, 5th is 170mph, 6th 212mph, 7th around 270mph and 8th 325mph. With 6th being 1:1, would have being more fitting to have shorter ratios in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th ideally, thankfully its a strong motor with plenty of power and torque so it will accelerate even in 8th but I understand Jaguar's reasoning as though its a proper fast sports car, its also a superb grand tourer too.

The Mustang A10 on the other hand uses those 10 gears to really improve acceleration, hence why stock A10's have gone as quick as 11.8's in quarter mile as the first 7 ratio's are really quite short to keep the car in the power band and keeps acceleration really strong into triple digits.

Back
Top Bottom