Open source software for running a YouTube channel?

Soldato
I'm looking for some useful software suggestions that will help me run a YouTube channel until I can afford to subscribe to Adobe Creative Cloud. Here is what I think I'll be using at the moment:

Blender - Video editing / visual effects
Audacity - Audio editing
FFMPEG / Handbrake - Transcoding / encoding
GIMP - Graphics editing
Inkscape - Vector graphics editing
OBS Studio - Screen recording

Is there anything else I might find useful? It must run on Windows 10 though.

Man of Honour
Blender could be used, especially for effects. But Kdenlive is generally accepted to be a better editor. It has a beta version for Windows.

Soldato
Blender is an impressive piece of software but there's a lot to learn. What are you imagining you'll actually be making for your channel?

You might consider HitFilm.

https://hitfilm.com/

It's professional kit and there's a lot of plugins that you could buy. But if you want to do basic video editing - some slows, some zooms, or just putting things in the right order and doing transitions, it's pretty intuitive after a brief learning curve (which you shouldn't skip) and the basic version is free.

Soldato
OP
Blender is an impressive piece of software but there's a lot to learn. What are you imagining you'll actually be making for your channel?

Mainly gaming and technology stuff (system administration and programming primarily). I'll certainly check out HitFilm though. Hitfilm seems like a feature-rich package.

Most of the videos I'll be editing will be using footage recorded from my desktop using OBS Studio. The chances of me doing any videos recorded on a mobile phone or via a camcorder are nill.

I was mainly planning on using Blender to do an introduction and other visual stuff, and since it can also edit videos itself I thought, why not simplify things and use it for everything?

Soldato
Mainly gaming and technology stuff (system administration and programming primarily). I'll certainly check out HitFilm though. Hitfilm seems like a feature-rich package.

Most of the videos I'll be editing will be using footage recorded from my desktop using OBS Studio. The chances of me doing any videos recorded on a mobile phone or via a camcorder are nill.

I was mainly planning on using Blender to do an introduction and other visual stuff, and since it can also edit videos itself I thought, why not simplify things and use it for everything?

Well far be it from me to discourage anyone from learning. But go into Blender knowing how large it is and prepared for some effort. If you want to cut bits of video and edit them together with transitions and the like, you should find HitFilm a very easy and convenient way to do that. IMO.

Back
Top Bottom