AX1500i dead after 4 years, warranty worthless... Can I fix it?

Associate
So, my AX1500i is completely dead. No lights at all, the self test button does nothing. I've checked the fuse and even confirmed voltage in the power lead with a multimeter.

I thought it would be fine thanks to the 10 year warranty, but the RMA required me to return *all* the modular cables. I phoned their repair people (they actually have you send them back to a certain Bolton based e-tailer in the UK, even though I didn't buy it there) and they confirmed that yes, they require every cable it came with.

I have moved house 3 times in 4 years, I never foresaw a use for the I2C cable, or the molex to floppy adaptors, I only have 4 of the 8 PCIe cables, etc.

The repair people confirmed that they are strict on this point.

So, I guess I have no warranty. Is it likely I can fix anything in this? I can solder etc if I have to.

Soldato
Worrying as I have the same PSU.

Sounds ridiculous that they can't diagnose and repair it without the original cables.

Associate
OP
Worrying as I have the same PSU.

Sounds ridiculous that they can't diagnose and repair it without the original cables.

Well I mean I get that the issue might be a short in a cable or something, but I tested this with no cables attached.

I would be perfectly happy with them keeping the cables from any replacement, but apparently this is a non-negotiable point.

Half my PC equipment seems to be Corsair - Keyboard, Headset, Case, PSU, about 12 ML series fans, Commander Pro fan controllers, etc. This will really make me think twice in future.

I'm not surprised the Bolton lot are so intransigent - there is a reason I don't buy much from them - but I expected more from Corsair.

Soldato
So, my AX1500i is completely dead. No lights at all, the self test button does nothing. I've checked the fuse and even confirmed voltage in the power lead with a multimeter.

I thought it would be fine thanks to the 10 year warranty, but the RMA required me to return *all* the modular cables. I phoned their repair people (they actually have you send them back to a certain Bolton based e-tailer in the UK, even though I didn't buy it there) and they confirmed that yes, they require every cable it came with.

I have moved house 3 times in 4 years, I never foresaw a use for the I2C cable, or the molex to floppy adaptors, I only have 4 of the 8 PCIe cables, etc.

The repair people confirmed that they are strict on this point.

So, I guess I have no warranty. Is it likely I can fix anything in this? I can solder etc if I have to.

damn that's harsh. send it off and say you sent everything - you got nowt to lose! without sounding like a knob, if you need to ask about repairing the psu yourself then it's safer not to. it's not worth burning your house down or electrocuting yourself.

Sgarrista
Commissario
What the actual ****.

I have the same PSU, no idea where any of the original crap non-sleeved cables are.

Completely unacceptable to demand they are all returned. No other manufacturer requests this, in fact most say not to include anything else from the box, just send the main unit.

Soldato
I think you need to talk to the Corsair rep on here, or post on their forums. That's an utter BS claim that's been made to you that makes no sense.

Plus, you can actually buy replacement sets of cables, so why they're even trying to enforce that, I don't know. I can only assume it's an attempt to fob you off.

Soldato
I'm not surprised the Bolton lot are so intransigent - there is a reason I don't buy much from them - but I expected more from Corsair.

Pretty sure that Corsair only rent warehouse space from them, so the issue would be with Corsair and not the Bolton retailer.

I would be pretty annoyed if I had to return all the cables, especially as most people will have them cable tied in the system so removing them would be a pain. Maybe the Corsair rep on here can assist you @Corsair Nick

Soldato
As you can buy full sets of replacement cables, do that.. Dont open them. then you know every single cable was present when it was sent to them.

You can always sell them on after the fact.

** EDIT - But looking at the costs of some cable packs, it may be cheaper to buy a new PSU. Good luck!

Associate
Hey There,

I had had various issues over the years with Corsair PSU's and have luckily had Amazon send me out a new replacement PSU without needing the cables so I actually have an entire bag (The Corsair bag) of cables all brand new sitting in my draw actually think I have 2 lots of them, thought I best keep them just incase.

See your in Suffolk and I have just moved to Soham so if you need a complete bag of new corsair cables happy to give them to you if it helps.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the offer Glacius :)

It seems I spoke a little too soon and should put down my pitchfork. The bolton lot insisted it needed to come with every cable and that there was no leeway. When Corsair support opened today (at 1500 or 0700 PST) I called them, and they said it would be fine and they had added notes to the RMA to that effect.

In the end I can't fault Corsair, assuming that bears out, the issue is with their appointed RMA people (that other e-tailer).

I've sent it to them today via Parcelforce.

Soldato

It seems I spoke a little too soon and should put down my pitchfork. The bolton lot insisted it needed to come with every cable and that there was no leeway. When Corsair support opened today (at 1500 or 0700 PST) I called them, and they said it would be fine and they had added notes to the RMA to that effect.

In the end I can't fault Corsair, assuming that bears out, the issue is with their appointed RMA people (that other e-tailer).

Similar story with Seasonic, there on-line form wanted all the cables back, however emailing their customer service they accepted RMA without the cables.

Associate

Good to hear you were able to sort this out over the phone. For reference for anyone else, we do request all the cables to be sent in with the PSU for an RMA, however it will not void your warranty if all of them are not returned.

Associate
OP
Good to hear you were able to sort this out over the phone. For reference for anyone else, we do request all the cables to be sent in with the PSU for an RMA, however it will not void your warranty if all of them are not returned.

Thanks Nick. It should be arriving at the RMA centre tomorrow. Assuming it's completely dead and not repairable, how long would it normally be before I get a new one? Stock of these (as with all high end PSUs) seems to be tight with the current mining craze, but I'm hoping RMAs have a separate stock?

Soldato

Maybe this information should be passed forward to the company that deals with the warranty in the UK. Sounds like they were trying the fob off for which they are famous for.

Back
Top Bottom